Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dealer upsell scam at first 10k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer upsell scam at first 10k mile service

Just brought my A5 in for its first service, and the dealer tried to upsell me, claiming that Audi recommends that I recalibrate the pre-sense camera at the top of the windshield for $899. I have AudiCare and the dealer said this is not covered. There is no warning light or message indicating an issue. Has anyone else heard of this? I’m assuming it’s just my shady dealer trying to make money.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have the windshield replaced at anypoint? If not that's definitely fishy as hell.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope never replaced the windshield. He said it needs to be recalibrated along with a wheel alignment. He claims that if the wheels are aligned and balanced it will throw off Audi pre-sense unless the camera is recalibrated. $899 he said. I laughed and said no way. This is the same dealer that tried to play games with the money factor and residual when I got a lease quote. I ended up leasing from another dealer far away that didn’t play games. This shady dealer is just convenient for service. I figured since I have a warranty and AudiCare I wouldn’t need to pay out of pocket for anything unusual. But this sounds super shady
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah call your original dealership and tell them what they said and that you would prefer to co-ordinate with them. My bet is 100% they say, ugh that's not right.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty long discussion about needing to get camera / sensor calibration for DAP when getting wheel alignments and/or windshield replacements here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...41000-2975468/
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

You don't need to calibrate your camera unless you replaced your windshield. Now, Audi does recommend a calibration if you do alignment...but do you absolutely have to do it (especially when you haven't been in an accident etc.)? Probably not. I know people who have gotten alignments without camera calibration and everything was fine. But anyway, sounds like you didn't replace your glass nor were you asking for an alignment, so total upsell by the dealer in this case.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Sounds like a real "shady" dealer to me. You should post up the dealer's details to prevent any other members from pulling into this guys service bays!

-- John
Old 10-01-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Sounds like a real "shady" dealer to me. You should post up the dealer's details to prevent any other members from pulling into this guys service bays!

-- John
Ditto...who is this stealership?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Casson
Nope never replaced the windshield. He said it needs to be recalibrated along with a wheel alignment. He claims that if the wheels are aligned and balanced it will throw off Audi pre-sense unless the camera is recalibrated. $899 he said. I laughed and said no way. This is the same dealer that tried to play games with the money factor and residual when I got a lease quote. I ended up leasing from another dealer far away that didn’t play games. This shady dealer is just convenient for service. I figured since I have a warranty and AudiCare I wouldn’t need to pay out of pocket for anything unusual. But this sounds super shady
If you still go there because they're convenient for service, keep in mind they might actually be ripping you off on the service too, like charging for stuff they didn't perform.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Tire balance and rotate certainly should not need the camera re-calibration. Wheel alignment may - if the wheels specially the rear wheels are realigned I'd drive around for a while and decide if a re-calibration is needed.

BTW I saw an ad on TV today from Safelight they say they will re-calibrate when they change the windshield.

Quick Reply: Dealer upsell scam at first 10k mile service