Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Cooling Fan Running after car off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling Fan Running after car off

Hi all, I'm having issues with my 2018 S5 SB/
Last night, this morning and this evening the car cooling fan would continue to run for 5-10 minutes after car turned off. This has never happened before. I called the dealership, the adviser asked if any warning lights were on, there are not. He then went on to tell me others have brought it in for same reason and no code errors detected. To let him know if a warning light comes on.
Last night in 70 degree weather after a 50 mile drive the oil temp was 142. Today on a 10 minute city drive it would not even register a temp. Because the fan is constantly on, the car seems to be running cool.
Something is wrong.
Any advice? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
Last night, this morning and this evening the car cooling fan would continue to run for 5-10 minutes after car turned off. This has never happened before. I called the dealership, the adviser asked if any warning lights were on, there are not. He then went on to tell me others have brought it in for same reason and no code errors detected. To let him know if a warning light comes on.
Last night in 70 degree weather after a 50 mile drive the oil temp was 142. Today on a 10 minute city drive it would not even register a temp. Because the fan is constantly on, the car seems to be running cool.
Something is wrong.
Any advice? Thanks.
Have the dealer address the issue! This is not normal.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Someone else posted about a failed fan thermostat issue.

Here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25420022
Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree sounds like a faulty fan/thermo switch
Old 02-19-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
Something is wrong.
Any advice? Thanks.
I had this issue on my SB and had the dealer fix it. The dealer told me that there was a faulty coolant fan and that they needed to order the replacement parts. Since they have not worked on many of these new engines, they contacted Audi engineering for assistance. It looks like this is a known issue and a TSB will be forthcoming. Just so you know.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

It's normal for the cooling fan to run after the car is turned off, especially on turbocharged cars. Prevents mechanical/thermal failure of mechanical parts that are still hot. The more aggressive I drive, the more likely that the fan will remain on after parking.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It's normal for the cooling fan to run after the car is turned off, especially on turbocharged cars. Prevents mechanical/thermal failure of mechanical parts that are still hot. The more aggressive I drive, the more likely that the fan will remain on after parking.

agreed but the OP is saying its far beyond just the cool down period that is normal, he issue the OP is experiencing is an issue vs normal cool down
Old 02-19-2020, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can hear mine run for a couple minutes after driving in my RS5 SB. but if longer than 5-10 minutes may be an issue with temp sensors
Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the blown thermostat but in my case the engine fan would run at max speed as soon as the car was turned on, and would stay that way until 10 minutes turning the car off. Since the car doesn't know what temp the engine is, it runs the fan at max speed as a precaution. His issue sounds different. I also either got a CEL light or "stop/start system malfunction", I forget which.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for replies. The fan comes on max within 10 seconds of turning car on and stays on for duration of drive, plus another 5-10 minutes. Car is scheduled to go in March 2, the soonest they had valet service. I live approximately an hour from dealer with traffic.
My concerns are that it will kill the battery or cause long term damage to my fan or something else. There's something clearly wrong with the car. I've had it for 16 months and this behavior started two days ago.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Running after car off