Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Car Wash - Water spots ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Car Wash - Water spots ?

So, I washed my car today (I'm thinking the 4th time). I took the time to connect hose in garage and used softened water. It's like 95F here in Texas (with no signs of letting up). We are used to it.
I also waxed it for the first time.
While my A5 is is about 1.5 years old, I only have about 1300 miles on it and I keep it parked inside garage.
I drove it in the rain the other day, but it looks real pretty now. It looked (fairly) spotless in the sun-light.

However, when I brought it inside, under the (LED based) overhead lights ... for one angle ... still looks fine. But from another, looks like there are water-spots on the black sun-roof glass (and the black glass-section between the sun-roof and the windshield).
Windex (original blue formula) will not remove them. To me, it looks similar to what you might see on a shower door.

Can anyone verify what this is? Of course, these pics are un-forgiving and purposely taken to show the spots. Any ideas on how to remove it? I would kinda-like it to be perfectly clean (for a while at least). If we can find something that works, I guess I'll do the all the windows as well.

Clean black roof, but water-spot on black-glass

Looks pretty clean

Last edited by Tesla1856; 07-09-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

I had this problem once: Hardness represents only a part of the mineral content of water—the calcium and magnesium ions. Total mineral content, referred to in water treatment as TDS, or “Total Dissolved Solids,” is the real predictor of water's spotting potential. The higher the TDS, the more spotting you'll experience.

Softening, contrary to popular belief, doesn't take minerals out of the water. Rather, it exchanges sodium for the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium, in more or less equal proportions. The TDS of softened water is essentially the same as that of hard water. Softened water has less calcium but more sodium.

You can get a TDS meter and measure what's in the water, if the number is real high, ( I suspect it is) you need to add a filter to remove the TDS and rid yourself of the water spots. You will save your paint and avoid a lot of work polishing out the mineral deposits. If your water is super bad, I would rent an industrial filter to save some money versus buying it outright.

This is a good explanation of deionized or demineralized water:

His filter is a lot more than you will need because he washes several cars per day, but you will get this idea.

Last edited by synergize; 07-09-2022 at 08:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by synergize:
Dave10 (07-11-2022), Nikon1 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 522 Likes on 357 Posts

I've found that RainX works very well to remove water spots from glass. I use the liquid that you wipe on, let sit, then wipe off.

Living in Florida I face similar issues with water spots as I wash. The key to prevention for me has been to work in small areas top to bottom, and dry with a chamois as I go.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShiftyWolf:
Nikon1 (07-10-2022), Tesla1856 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 648 Likes on 421 Posts

Mix 50% warm water and 50% vinegar...the spots will come right off.
The following 4 users liked this post by Burrcold:
AgMaple (07-10-2022), dawued (07-13-2022), Nikon1 (07-10-2022), Tesla1856 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by synergize

Softening exchanges sodium for the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium,
Right. Pretty sure it works that way for a reason, but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

Yes, the water is very hard here (it comes from an Aquifer). I have a portable (prosumer lab quality) water test kit. I'll pick-up one of those little electronic ones.
As you likely know, the softened water really helps with the dishwasher, sinks, shower, toilets ... etc.

Thanks for the video and talk of the deionized water. Sounds similar to distilled (but different says Google ) ...
Distilled and deionized water are both forms of purified water. The main difference is that in distilled water, most bacteria and viruses have been removed while some minerals are left behind. The deionization process, in contrast, completely removes minerals from the water but doesn't remove most bacteria or viruses.

So, once I understood about treated water ... I started to see that (optimally) different kinds are best for each purpose.
City-supplied Tap water - Lawn and Landscape Irrigation
Softened water - Appliances, Water-Heaters, sinks and fixtures (uses needing large-quantities and must be plumbing safe [retro, copper, and new Pex])
Carbon filtered (tap water) - Drinking, Ice, and cooking
Reverse Osmosis - ? IDK (as I don't have it yet) but I understand it to be interchangeable with carbon-filtered
(and now) Deionized - Washing vehicles (and likely other things ... when washed and dried quickly). I don't think it's good to keep it around. You create what you need, use it for washing/rinsing, and then dry-up the excess.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 07-10-2022 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
synergize (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShiftyWolf

1. I've found that RainX works very well to remove water spots from glass. I use the liquid that you wipe on, let sit, then wipe off.

2. Living in Florida I face similar issues with water spots as I wash. The key to prevention for me has been to work in small areas top to bottom, and dry with a chamois as I go.
1. Looks perfect, thanks. So, looks like it works as a cleaner/restorer ... and well as a conditioner.
And while I would not spray directly on painted parts, I bet a few drops are safe for automotive finishes (within reason).

2. Right, you know the drill. Projected to be 103F today here in Texas (and it's not exactly "cool" at 10am either). I try to keep to roof "wet" until I finish the whole car.

I don't think all these water spots were created all at once (like just now when I washed the car). I think most have been accumulating over the months. Now that I am inspecting the glass surfaces this closely, there are some on ALL windows (just not as bad as roof). I think because of the angle (and most water sheds-away) and/or they are dried better and I Windex them often,

Last edited by Tesla1856; 07-10-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Mix 50% warm water and 50% vinegar...the spots will come right off.
Yes, that was my next choice (if I didn't get much response here ... but I did). Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, that is what I use on coffee-makers (as it is food safe) and also on shower doors (with plastic/nylon scrubby-pad). I was going to try it because (like those mentioned) it's glass or glass-like. I suppose some plastics also.

I was just hesitant about the painted finish, but I guess you can still be careful to only get on glass. That even side-steps it being able to strip-away the wax/protectant (that I just applied) since you just don't go there.
The following users liked this post:
Burrcold (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have this system installed in my garage and I DI wash all cars and let them air dry in the sun without any spotting.

our water is very hard / TDS at 200. After going through the system below I measured it and it’s 0 zero. Yup, good water makes a huge difference.

Yes, our cars are also ceramic coated. Best investment for home car washing.

https://www.portablewaterdi.com/shop...SKU=OTG2-DDILS

Last edited by Dave10; 07-10-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,174 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave10
I have this system installed in my garage and I DI wash all cars and let them air dry in the sun without any spotting.

our water is very hard / TDS at 200. After going through the system below I measured it and it’s 0 zero. Yup, good water makes a huge difference.

Yes, our cars are also ceramic coated. Best investment for home car washing.

https://www.portablewaterdi.com/shop...SKU=OTG2-DDILS
how well does this work and did you shop out other systems? why did you pick this one? looking for something similar for my house. thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
how well does this work and did you shop out other systems? why did you pick this one? looking for something similar for my house. thanks.
I chose it after researching other brands and it is the system used by high end detail studios. I like the fact that you do not hook it up to your whole house and you can buy all the parts individually versus other brands. The link I posted is a brick and mortar business and they offer great support and fast shipping. I also added a chlorine filter that they sell because helps the tank filtration bed materials last longer. I get a little over a year out of

I detailed cars when I was younger and now 30 years later, as a side hobby, I do a car a month. I fully clay, sand if needed, cut and polish and ceramic coat starting at $650.00 and up. Any car can be made to look better than showroom new as they are all have flaws from the factory. Maintaining that perfect corrected finish all starts with maintenance by hand washing and the cleaner the water to start the better you are. The next step is stop or never use towels to dry your car. With a good ceramic coating most of the water runs off the car at the rinse stage and the rest can be blown off with a cheap leaf blower. This leaves you car clean, dry and spot free even in the sun.

https://www.portablewaterdi.com/shop...=OTG2-DDI-REF1

Last edited by Dave10; 07-11-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Wash - Water spots ?