Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

C&D Test the S5 Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
The sport diff only helps with understeer in mid corner and exit, it can't do much about initial turn in understeer.
Sport differential also works on overrun. FWIW.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fivefan
Hi Quattrings... I had been following this thread closely to see what your results would be.

Can you post what you found out in regards to DAP potentially impacting the S5's responsiveness?

Thanks...
I have my DAP turned off 99% of the time now, but the difference was negligible. I generally never have a need to use it anyway, so its not a problem to keep it off. I cant say definitively that DAP turned off made an impact on the sluggish throttle response. I have just dealt with it and accepted it but its unsatisfactory in my view. I'm just addressing this as a drivability weakness (related to poor programming), and not so much relating it to all out performance, although having a disconnected response or extended delay does impact the enjoyment of that as well.

At the track, when launching with built up boost psi and my foot on the brake, its a non-issue, and I am able to pull 60 times of 3.5 seconds consistently.

What seemed to help slightly were upgrading to the lighter wheels and the more efficient intercooler. With that, it is a little improved and I imagine that an ECU tune would address the deficiency well.

-
Old 12-21-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Neon01
This summed up my experience so perfectly I felt compelled to post. I really dislike rolling off in this car. Once I'm driving, it's much better, but still not without fault. My 2013 S4 wasn't this way at all.

One thing I find a little odd - comfort drive mode works a hell of a lot better than auto. Auto is just unusable, imo. It doesn't have the responsiveness of sport, but it still gives you the ridiculous amount of power when you really get on it, which, by that point, is exactly when you *don't* want it. Comfort is just more manageable, but the initial tip in is crazy disconnected. I love the car to death, and for better or worse I'm stuck with it for at least two years, but it's so disappointing to me that I feel this tension every time I pull to a complete stop, like I have to absolutely nail the roll off or I'm either lagging WAY behind the pack, or on some guys bumper.
This.

Any driving mode but Dynamic-Sport is unusable in my opinion. They should just call every other mode " '85 Oldsmobile Mode" because that's what it feels like -- an unresponsive gas pedal that when pushed goes nowhere, and when pushed a little more rockets you forward. I can literally floor the pedal and immediately release it, and get no actual additional movement out of the car because the foot motion was too fast for the transmission to register it. Coming from a 2014 S4 manual, it's just awful. Sure, I can always drive in Dynamic-S, but the car should have other modes that are usable, and I can't think of any situation where I actually *desire* throttle lag, whether that be on a parking lot or a racing track. I really hope Audi fixes this (if it can be fixed through code changes) because the car simply doesn't feel like a sports car in any mode but Dynamic-S. The really sad thing? The A5 loaner my dealer gave me while they were working on my S5 doesn't have this issue in *any* mode. Even in comfort/auto you get more responsive and smoother acceleration than you do in Dynamic-D mode on the S5.. In these modes, the A5 at least *feels* like more of a sports car than the S5.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

The A5 loaner my dealer gave me while they were working on my S5 doesn't have this issue in *any* mode. Even in comfort/auto you get more responsive and smoother acceleration than you do in Dynamic-D mode on the S5.. In these modes, the A5 at least *feels* like more of a sports car than the S5.
I very much enjoy my A5.