Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brake pad change question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
This “replace not resurface” rotors has been a German vehicle “feature” for quite a few years. I know Mercedes and BMW have the same requirement. Personally - IMHO, YMMV — it’s about Added Dealer Profit (ADP) via the Service Department. Unless you are an enthusiast like many of our members are, most people with high-end German vehicles just take their cars back to the selling dealer for service needs.

I was quoted something over $1,000 for replacing my rear pads, rotors & whatever else is required. If I went to an indie shop and specc’d the same type of non-OEM parts, but not higher-end parts, I would guess I would trim between $250 & $300 off the dealers price.

And, again, this is my opinion (based on doing some research) and it may not be exact based on your area & labor rates.

— John
The Rear brakes on my RS5 brake replace Pad & Rotors quote was $3300.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:45 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,383 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
Difference due to the RS vs. S in our cars?
Old 01-10-2024, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,887 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Difference due to the RS vs. S in our cars?
B9 S 330x22 and B9 RS 330x22 use the same pad set. And same size rotors, but different p/ns because the RS rotors are constructed differently.
$142 MSRP rev K for A/S 330x22: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/74743107/8w0615601k.html
$945 MSRP rev G for RS 330x22: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/71653419/8w0615601g.html

But damn, that's a lot of extra cost for some extra holes.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Rotors usually good for 100K miles.

Originally Posted by m444
I just replace the pads. I have been known to grind the outer lip of the rotor, inside and outside. Recognize that’s pushing the wear limit, but there’s a lot of meat left on the rotor. If you’re tracking the car YMMV.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do NOT push pistons back w/o opening bleeder

Originally Posted by Poncherello
I’ve never had that problem either…knock on wood
Always open the bleeder during pushback to dump oldest fluid. That way you won’t push old fluid up the pipes and possibly booger the abs pump.
After installing new pads and rotors if you wish then pressure bleed. Some people have access to computer to activate the abs pump but I’ve not had to do that.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bleed the caliper and look at the fluid! In fact there is a conductance tool to measure h2O of old fluid…u calibrate it with new fluid. Two yea4s and the old fluid is usually watered, enough to cause brake fade on repeated hard track braking if not alpine descent.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
.....possibly booger the abs pump.....
Say what? I should think if there were ANY chance of that happening, Audi might make some sort of mention in the repair manual. As far as the "oldest fluid" needing to be relieved - I can't see how that concept is going to cause any detriment to performance. Sorry, definitely in the camp of not opening the screw - never have had an issue.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:52 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There are many methods of doing brakes. Im not worried about a little old fluid going in reverse since my fluid is changed every 2 yrs. Nevertheless, each of the mentioned methods work, just a matter if you want to do it that way. As for brake parts, just go to Rockauto.com for reasonable priced aftermarket or FCP if you want to have lifetime warranty on those parts. I don't keep cars after the warranty is over, so I don't need lifetime warranty. But for those that keep their cars for 100k mi or is hard on brakes, that is the place to get parts. RS parts have a bigger premium in pricing and limited sources. For the S models, much more options.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I got annoyed and gave up. The triple square bit I bought doesn’t fit in the space with the ratchet attached, I couldn’t get my breaker bar on the caliper bolt because the jack was in the way so stupidly I put a jack stand under the bushing area of the lower control arm so I could move the jack. The stand slipped down toward the middle of the control arm and when it flexed it looks like it tore the bushing because some oil came out. Now I know why the dealer quotes so high on these jobs. This is the first time in 40 years I’ve given up on brakes. I’ll just bring them to a shop and have them do ot. I suppose I’ll have to buy a new bushing too.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherello
Well, I got annoyed and gave up. The triple square bit I bought doesn’t fit.....
There is no need for any triple square bits to change the brake pads. If you were trying to go after those bolts on the caliper that LOOK like triple squares, well, according to the service manual they are not to be removed. I realize you've already given up and are having a shop do the job, but for those who may find this thread in the future - no triple square needed.

Quick Reply: Brake pad change question