Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brake fluid change? Coolant change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake fluid change? Coolant change?

2019 Audi A5 Sportback

I'm a bit surprised to see that my Owner’s Manual does not call for brake fluid changes or coolant changes. Are they really not necessary?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
2019 Audi A5 Sportback

I'm a bit surprised to see that my Owner’s Manual does not call for brake fluid changes or coolant changes. Are they really not necessary?

Over the last 35 years I have never changed brake fluid. I know a lot of people will tell you about moisture degrading the fluid but I never felt a change was necessary. I have run cars 250,000+ miles and never had an issue. When I started buying BMW they were the first I noticed that prescribed fluid changes. I would buy CPO with 100K mile maintenance.... they would change fluid as part of that package but I never changed it once the plan ran out.

The only time I ever changed coolant was if there was a radiator, water pump, or thermostat issue. I have only ever had one water pump failure, 2 thermostat failures, and one radiator leak. Most people don't subscribe to my maintenance methodology.

I do not subscribe to more frequent maintenance than what the manufacturer recommends. I don't do 5k mile oil changes, I don't change transmission fluid if it's not called for. I don't opt for "higher quality" parts/fluids.... I use OEM recommended. I buy my cars to drive and get rid of when I am done with them...I really don't stress to much over them. others will have a differing opinion but in almost 2 million miles of driving I have never had a major mechanical failure. I would say do wht you're comfortable with.
The following users liked this post:
dadrocker (07-27-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here, I bought a couple testers on amazon, and would test my brake fluid and coolant occasionally. If they were in spec, I would leave them alone. Traded in my 2012 A6 with 170K miles and never had an issue with brake fluid. Some of my coolant was replaced when I had a coolant leak issue at 100K, but I never did a flush. If my brake fluid tested at 3-4% water, I would have replaced it, but it never got above 1-2%
Old 07-18-2021, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Problem is that the tester only tests what's in the mc reservoir, not

Originally Posted by jrhgto
Same here, I bought a couple testers on amazon, and would test my brake fluid and coolant occasionally. If they were in spec, I would leave them alone. Traded in my 2012 A6 with 170K miles and never had an issue with brake fluid. Some of my coolant was replaced when I had a coolant leak issue at 100K, but I never did a flush. If my brake fluid tested at 3-4% water, I would have replaced it, but it never got above 1-2%
what's in the abs system/pump and the wheel/slave cylinders is what is critical. You might have not been in enough water or corrosion or whatever to damage the coolant characteristics, but in general the rubber hoses to the slaves are porous and should be replaced in 10-15 years anyway. Anecdotally, you were lucky.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In Europe you'd have to do two-year brake fluid

2019 Audi A5 Sportback

changes (and every year in alpine/mountain environments...brake fade on a long mountain downhill isn't fun!) to meet motor inspection. Coolant these days is like five years, might last longer but aluminum/steel interaction exhausts coolant additives. BMWs, for example, use plastic radiator end caps, expansion tanks, etc., and generally one replaced the radiator and expansion tank (and hoses since you're in there) at 100K miles. Some people replace the water pump and thermostat too....my 03 M3 still has the original water pump and thermostat but I've replaced the expansion tank, radiator, heater and radiator hoses. Serp belt and tensioner and pulleys get replaced every 60k miles. Also AC belt. I've replaced two viscous fan clutches, the auxiliary fan still works but the modulator bit/control had to be replaced.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On some audi/quattro you have to replace

2019 Audi A5 Sportback

the Haldex unit fluid every 40K miles. I would expect the sport diff on some audis to have replace the fluid at 40-60K. Think of it like ZF transmissions....audi may say lifetime fill of transmission fluid and trans filter, but ZF, the manufacturer, says 40-50K miles for fluid and filter under severe service. I call severe service.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 594 Likes on 426 Posts

My 4 year Audi Care plan covered 2 brake fluid changes.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

2019 Audi A5 Sportback

According to this brake fluid is 2 years.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2019.pdf
Old 07-18-2021, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
According to this brake fluid is 2 years.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2019.pdf
Yes you are correct brake fluid flush is every two years. I did mine at 2-1/2 years and I have to say the old fluid was perfectly clear as was new. But I guess that only shows I haven’t burnt it. It does not show any water accumulation.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

As others mentioned, Audi has always recommended two-year brake fluid changes, since at least the B8 generation.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change? Coolant change?