Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Body Shop Shenanigans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Shop Shenanigans? (Odometer Tampering?!)

Recently, my car suffered a bit of superficial, cosmetic damage while parked (I was having dinner in a restaurant) that required some buffing-out to restore it. Anyway, that's not the focus of the story.

Whenever I can't avoid the prospect of another person driving my car, I've always had a habit of taking a picture of the dash showing: date, time, odometer, trip meter, and range. I picked it up a couple days ago on Friday, right as the shop was closing and practically no one was there, so I didn't have a chance to talk to anyone about my concerns. And actually, it did give me some time to think about what I want to do, but I'd like other's thoughts as well. In order of concern, here's what bothers me: (I have a picture of the dash at pick up, as well)
  1. On drop off, the trip meter was 209.2 miles. At pick up, it had been reset and showed 0.3 miles.
    • This shop is TINY. The fenced parking lot and the shop's garages are like 50 feet apart. Why did it need to be reset in the first place? This was cosmetic work, not mechanical/technical/electronic.
  2. The fuel range was 90 miles on drop off, but only 65 miles pick up.
  3. The odometer read 16,944 miles at drop off ... but 16,943 at pick up!
    • I'm not sure how this is even possible, unless something intentionally (illegal) was done.

Maybe there are things I should have done in advance, but that's the past which I can't change. I am absolutely going to communicate with the shop's manager, but not sure how hard I should (or can) go at this. What are people's thoughts about how I should (or if I can) approach this situation? TIA!

Last edited by Chris; 08-29-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:49 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,383 Posts

#3 — That is REALLY upsetting and, as you said, how was that accomplished?

Much like you, when I drop my car off for service, at my selling dealer, I take a picture of the dash and they see me doing it so there’s no doubt on either my part or theirs.

I would certainly push this with your service / body shop! They owe you an explanation.

— John
Old 08-29-2021, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I definitely plan on it. The more I think about it, the more angry I get.

ALSO ... I just noticed (I didn't think to look earlier) that the long-term memory was also reset. I had been keeping it as a cumulative record (All 16k + miles) of my driving, MPG, etc. I have NEVER reset it!

What would be the purpose of resetting those things? Combined with the 25 mile drop in range, and the odometer evidence, I can only come to one conclusion: they drove it, and tried to cover up that it was driven.

Originally Posted by Nikon1
#3 — That is REALLY upsetting and, as you said, how was that accomplished?

Much like you, when I drop my car off for service, at my selling dealer, I take a picture of the dash and they see me doing it so there’s no doubt on either my part or theirs.

I would certainly push this with your service / body shop! They owe you an explanation.

— John
Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Chris.I'm new to Audi electronics and data logging but on a couple of my other cars, the range can drop noticeably when the engine is turned on and left idling for extended periods or revving repeatedly and the range goes back upon driving. This could possibily explain the drop in range if they left it in idle or revved it to hear the exhaust note.

As for point 1, only possible explanation I can think of is resetting may potentially be part of a checklist but I am going way out on a limb with that one. When I dropped off my previous 2 cars at the dealer they used to disconnect the dashcam upon receiving my car so I do know some shops, even dealer ones have their own procedures.

As for point 3..... no idea at all. Like Nikon1 said, you have every right to ask for an explanation.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm. Thanks for the input. I never even thought of the car idling; I just assumed it was driven. Of course, that would take a lot of idling (I would think) to lose that much range. And why it would need to be idling, or revved, for cosmetic work escapes me. haha

The resetting in-and-of itself is irritating. Without any of the other evidence, I wouldn't think anything else of it.

But yeah, I think the odometer going down is the most disturbing piece of evidence.

Originally Posted by trion20001
Hi Chris.I'm new to Audi electronics and data logging but on a couple of my other cars, the range can drop noticeably when the engine is turned on and left idling for extended periods or revving repeatedly and the range goes back upon driving. This could possibily explain the drop in range if they left it in idle or revved it to hear the exhaust note.

As for point 1, only possible explanation I can think of is resetting may potentially be part of a checklist but I am going way out on a limb with that one. When I dropped off my previous 2 cars at the dealer they used to disconnect the dashcam upon receiving my car so I do know some shops, even dealer ones have their own procedures.

As for point 3..... no idea at all. Like Nikon1 said, you have every right to ask for an explanation.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Hmm. Thanks for the input. I never even thought of the car idling; I just assumed it was driven. Of course, that would take a lot of idling (I would think) to lose that much range. And why it would need to be idling, or revved, for cosmetic work escapes me. haha

The resetting in-and-of itself is irritating. Without any of the other evidence, I wouldn't think anything else of it.

But yeah, I think the odometer going down is the most disturbing piece of evidence.
No problem Chris. Idling and revving would be more the thrill for them (if they did it) than to serve any meaningful repair purpose. Thank goodness Audi in their wisdom have coded a soft limit for idle revving (if I got my info correct). The number of times I saw a salesguy rev the crap out of a cold parked C63/E63/AMG GT.....

With you on the reset and odometer drop. The first would annoy me and the second would **** me off and make me highly suspicious if I am being totally honest. I hope they can offer you some plausable explanation and let us know what they say.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2021, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

The range is an estimation computed by the car. The engine mode plays a role in it too. The range in dynamic is usually lower than the range in comfort. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 594 Likes on 426 Posts

The odometer rest might have been because they disconnected the battery. I know you said it was only cosmetic work but I've had this happen a number of times to me when I've had my cars in for work. Either it was body shop policy to disconnect the batteries because doors, hood, trunk were left open for extended periods and they don't want the battery draining or because the manufacturer specifies it in the repair manual.

Number 3 is going to be impossible to prove without prior photographic evidence or something written that they signed off on. I've had similar things happen to me before and each time it turned out that I was mistaken so unless you have dash cam footage or something showing that they did something nefarious I don't see how you can prove anything. All body shops I've been to have always recorded the mileage when the vehicle was dropped off does your invoice have something similar?

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 08-30-2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the input. Very helpful. I honestly didn't even think of a battery disconnect, and while I think I knew it would reset the trip meter, I didn't realize it would reset the long-term memory. Kind of a bummer because it's never been reset before, not even by Audi service. Oh well.

All I have for the odometer is my photos showing the two different values: 16944 at drop off and 16943 at pick up. I'm just unclear as to how that happens on it's own. Weirdly, their paperwork shows 16912 at drop off.

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The odometer rest might have been because they disconnected the battery. I know you said it was only cosmetic work but I've had this happen a number of times to me when I've had my cars in for work. Either it was body shop policy to disconnect the batteries because doors, hood, trunk were left open for extended periods and they don't want the battery draining or because the manufacturer specifies it in the repair manual.

Number 3 is going to be impossible to prove without prior photographic evidence or something written that they signed off on. I've had similar things happen to me before and each time it turned out that I was mistaken so unless you have dash cam footage or something showing that they did something nefarious I don't see how you can prove anything. All body shops I've been to have always recorded the mileage when the vehicle was dropped off does your invoice have something similar?
Old 08-30-2021, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 594 Likes on 426 Posts

Even a photo isn't really proving much, they'll say you took it from another car.. Rolling back an odometer is a serious offence and is non-trivial to do so you really need to be sure with iron clad proof before you accuse them of anything. If you want you could always take it to the dealer, explain the situation, and ask them scan the car for any weirdness. Other than that, you might just have to shrug and chalk it up to one of those things.
The following users liked this post:
Lord XL (08-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Body Shop Shenanigans?