Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Best use of the * button on the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by stanfna
While not the perfect solution, I have set the Individual setting to be fully Dynamic except for the suspension which I put on Auto.
Yes, that's what I resorted to as well, but it was cumbersome due to how the modes are ordered. In order to get back to Dynamic from Individual you have to cycle through the whole gamut of modes or reach far forward to the Drive Select buttons in the dash and remember to change it in the correct direction. Not very convenient or safe when driving dynamically on a mountain or canyon road for example trying to make sure I don't drive off a cliff while getting back into the right mode.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1
Old 02-18-2020, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
Summer Time - Drive Select.
Winter Time - Stare in disappointment wishing I had the heated steering wheel and didn't have to keep my gloves on.
The bumpy roads don't stop in the winter over here, they get worse. For me the * aka Drive Select button is worth the lack of heated steering wheel, I use it way more often than I would the heating function. Yes, it would be more useful it it actually switched functions without hitting it twice, but you get used to it.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

While not the perfect solution, I have set the Individual setting to be fully Dynamic except for the suspension which I put on Auto.
__PRESENT

I do this as well.

This thread reminded me that the * button exists. I never use it. I think it's set to the radio/media toggle, but never use it.
I think I'll switch to the drive mode change, and not use it for that. lol
Old 02-19-2020, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
The bumpy roads don't stop in the winter over here, they get worse. For me the * aka Drive Select button is worth the lack of heated steering wheel, I use it way more often than I would the heating function. Yes, it would be more useful it it actually switched functions without hitting it twice, but you get used to it.
Lol, unfortunately I don't have adaptive dampers, so can't do **** about that either...but almost 30k miles of bumpy roads have softened the suspension a bit.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive Select was the only one that made sense to me and I use it more than the buttons on the dash.
I third this
Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DUBITUP
I have it set for day/night changes for MMI screen.
Just use the voice control for that. Press the button and say "Day Map" or "Night Map." Works like a champ.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Drive select for me! There should have been a dedicated button for this on the steering wheel IMO - atleast in the S5 and RS5! Better still maybe a dedicated button to switch to "Dynamic" mode on the Steering wheel. Some decisions by Audi are a bit perplexing!

Last edited by IceSilverMetallicA5; 02-19-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Did map settings with it before, but switched to drive select. I also use the voice command for map settings instead. My previous A5 had the heated steering wheel which I wish I had it now. Unfortunately, Audi doesn’t make it available to have both the flat bottom and heated steering wheel.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IceSilverMetallicA5
Drive select for me! There should have been a dedicated button for this IMO - atleast in the S5 and RS5! Some decisions by Audi are a bit perplexing!

MY 2019 RS5 does have a dedicated Drive select button near the Climate control buttons.

Quick Reply: Best use of the * button on the steering wheel?