Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B&O Stereo System S5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by IceSilverMetallicA5
I have to agree with your points. While the topic of audio quality is highly subjective, this thread appears to be discussing the quality of the audio system with respect to its bass levels. Though some posts here claim to be audiophiles, the emphasis is on high levels of bass, or lack thereof (again higher level is not the same as deeper, in musical terms). The B&O system is certainly not constructed for car rattling, earth shaking, window shattering bass - instead it is constructed for refinement. i.e. balance, tonal accuracy, imaging, clarity and depth.

Which, as an SB owner, makes the B&O system very good (not excellent as a high-end audiophile headphone paired with a high-end quality amp, but very good nevertheless) to me! Again, note the subjectivity here!

In other words, if the expectation is to provide loud, thumping bass, this system will absolutely not provide it. But that doesn't make it a bad system otherwise - infact, to me its quite the opposite! Again, perhaps i am the only one with this opinion here, but no disrespect to anyone!
+1
In other B&O threads in the forum I thought it was the consensus that for the $$$, the system was well above average. I'm no audiophile, but I'm very satisfied with it.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

If I may paraphrase you -- Manage Your Expectations?

As a Coupe owner, I, too, find the balance of sounds in the B&O supplied system to satisfy my needs. I can certainly hear / feel the bass in the music that I listen to without having the sound transmitted outside the car. I cannot count the number of times, while sitting at a traffic light, I've had a "speaker salesman" pull up next to me and all I can hear is vastly over-driven & distorted bass rocking his car and mine. Not my style.

My personal preferences would suggest that the SB low frequency would not satisfy me at all. While not a bass freak, I do like to get a sense that it's there in the mix.

As always - YMMV and if your expectations are fulfilled, all the better.

-- John
Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
If I may paraphrase you -- Manage Your Expectations?
Definitely manage your expectations - especially, if your expectations involve high bass. Its not a system designed for that. If you care about a balanced, close to "accurate" reproduction of sound, this system is pretty good. Especially for the $$$, as garberfc mentioned. Balanced includes bass as its definitely not lacking (like some of the older generation Audi-Bose systems were). That said, I am still experimenting with the settings for "3D sound" and "Surround" levels as those settings impact balance and overall audio output.
The following 2 users liked this post by IceSilverMetallicA5:
eman006 (02-28-2020), Nikon1 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us with a Sportback, one setting I've noticed helps to improve the bass output. Part of the 3D settings allow you to choose "Front" "Both" or "Rear." When set to "Both" it sounds OK. When set to "Front" the bass response is improved. It's not an ideal amount of bass compared to the bass output in the coupe. But, with that "Front" setting it is better.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like Alpine S-A60M replaced the MRV-M500. I have a link to it below. It boasts speaker level inputs, but so did the MRV-M500. For that reason, I am just wondering what the reason for the necessity of the LC2i 2 channel line out converter?

Also, would anyone that has a setup with an aftermarket sub, would you mind taking a picture of the speaker wiring from the source speaker level input to the LC2i and/or the amplifier?

Thank you.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SA6...mno=500MRVM500

Last edited by Bryan91SE; 03-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm getting a similar stealth install done this week. Any issues with rattle due to the sub being mounted in the trunk wall?
Old 08-23-2020, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BabaBradley09
I'm getting a similar stealth install done this week. Any issues with rattle due to the sub being mounted in the trunk wall?
It probably depends on how it is mounted (bolted?). The fiberboard is just floppy.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the Basser box and it's super solid. At high volumes there is a little rattle around the gas filler door which you can only hear from the outside, and again it's just a little. Otherwise it's been tight.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dasism
I used the Basser box and it's super solid. At high volumes there is a little rattle around the gas filler door which you can only hear from the outside, and again it's just a little. Otherwise it's been tight.
The Basser box hasn't been available for a while so I'm getting a custom enclosure with sound deadening. The installers tell me it should be tight.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I sit in the back seats the bass presence is much more pronounce understandably and I am very satisfied with the system. Sitting in the front seat is a different story as the quality and quantity of bass is definitely diminished.

Quick Reply: B&O Stereo System S5?