Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B&O Stereo System S5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default B&O Stereo System S5?

Guys I gotta say the B8.5 and B.8 B&O sounded a million times better. This system sounds like junk. Audi cut corners here and sucks! As an Audiophile ... this is crap! Sub sounds like cheap crap! No low end bass like my old B8.5 S5! Was on a call today and speakers were crackling! Tin foil! Maybe I have some defective speakers or whatever but guessing B&O cheap low end crap compared to the previous B&O systems. .....going back to the dealer. Anybody else have any gripes about the B&O?

Last edited by B8 S FOR; 02-04-2020 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B8 S FOR:
Impulse_215 (02-05-2020), Slides (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

The B&O system in our B9s does suck. Bad. Completely lacking in low end (bass), highs are too harsh and clouded. I guess that's why the system is so cheap (costs wise).

I added just aftermarket mono channel amplifier, and a subwoofer. It's better now without breaking the bank. I spent about $1.5k.
The following users liked this post:
MCRN (08-29-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I have to differ, but then, audio is subjective. Coming from a non-Fender audio Golf R, the B&O system in my S5 coupe is amazing. Best audio system I've ever had, though admittedly it's only like the second non-base audio system I've had in a car. I have added some very expensive after market stuff back in the 80s but nothing in the modern era. Anyhow, in the coupe at least, the sound is great, the bass is very solid, and I have experienced no crackling or other artifacts in a year of use. I have heard that the placement of speakers, etc. in the two-door is better than in the other versions, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe years of listening to metal have fried my ears to the extent I can't tell the difference. Either way, I'm 100% satisfied with the sound system.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheWombat:
garberfc (02-04-2020), Nikon1 (02-05-2020), paradyne (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Having had a 2014 S4 with a superior system, I agree. However as someone who had my car in the shop at least eight times to fix various speaker issues, I can tell you that it can be improved significantly if you have a few things addressed. In my opinion, it looks like they tested the audio with the standard system, but never bothered to see if the car, as designed, could handle the upgraded system.

Problems I had:

1) Crackling from speaker in passenger door. Replaced speaker.
2) Weird distortion from dash speaker at certain frequencies. Piano music would really cause it to go nuts. They replaced the plastic cover with a newer model cover that fixed this issue.
3) Back passenger speaker blew. Replaced.
4) The absolute worst, that drove me absolutely insane and prevented me from enjoying any music with 60-70hz frequencies for almost two years, and which took a total of five visits to fix, was the entire passenger door vibrating/farting when any bass in the 60-70hz range was played. They felted stuff over and over and it made no difference. Only when I went absolutely APE**** on the service manager after their 4th attempt did they finally replace the whole door card. Bass plays fine now, I just have a door rattle over bumps instead.

Mines a 2018, and I would have thought that they would have fixed this crap for the 2019 model, but I guess not.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Well, I have to differ, but then, audio is subjective. Coming from a non-Fender audio Golf R, the B&O system in my S5 coupe is amazing. Best audio system I've ever had, though admittedly it's only like the second non-base audio system I've had in a car. I have added some very expensive after market stuff back in the 80s but nothing in the modern era. Anyhow, in the coupe at least, the sound is great, the bass is very solid, and I have experienced no crackling or other artifacts in a year of use. I have heard that the placement of speakers, etc. in the two-door is better than in the other versions, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe years of listening to metal have fried my ears to the extent I can't tell the difference. Either way, I'm 100% satisfied with the sound system.

IMHO — Your second sentence says something all the Sportback & Cabrio owners should recognize: Coupé owners do not have the same problem with lack of bass as we have an actual sub-woofer on our rear deck, with the trunk acting as an enclosure.

I’m very happy with the B&O system in my Coupé.

— John
The following users liked this post:
Mister Bally (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
IMHO — Your second sentence says something all the Sportback & Cabrio owners should recognize: Coupé owners do not have the same problem with lack of bass as we have an actual sub-woofer on our rear deck, with the trunk acting as an enclosure.

I’m very happy with the B&O system in my Coupé.

— John
Listen..l my B8.5 S5 Cabrio with the B&O thumped! Crystal Clear and sounded awesome for a Cabriolet! This now sounds like the old cheap Bose System with B&O Labeled on it to cover up! Night and Day!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

The mickey mouse 6" subwoofer under the spare tire in the Sportback is really ridiculous.

They should have put the sub in the rear side and put the jack under the spare tire, where it belongs.

Look at the Basser solution: Basser - Audi A5/S5 (F5) Sportback 2 Fit-Box subwoofer enclosure

Old 02-04-2020, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
The mickey mouse 6" subwoofer under the spare tire in the Sportback is really ridiculous.

They should have put the sub in the rear side and put the jack under the spare tire, where it belongs.

Look at the Basser solution: Basser - Audi A5/S5 (F5) Sportback 2 Fit-Box subwoofer enclosure

Damn, that looks like a nice, clean setup. Looks like they are sold out. Has anyone used this box? If so, how do you like it?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbas101
Damn, that looks like a nice, clean setup. Looks like they are sold out. Has anyone used this box? If so, how do you like it?
This guy built his own custom box for that location: B&O upgrade with 8” JL sub in custom fiberglass enclosure.

This guy had a shop build a custom enclosure: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post13661737

Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

The right side cargo storage area/net is the best place to put a subwoofer.
I put one there back in November 2017. So long ago that I don't even remember what it looked like originally.

Quick Reply: B&O Stereo System S5?