Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto Stop/Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Stop/Start

So, my new S5 Coupe tends to have a mind of its own sometimes. It appears we have the ability to turn the stop/start feature off but sometimes my car acts like it is off all the time...which is great, but other times it kicks in and I'm forced to push the button to turn it off.

Any way to set this feature to disable by default so when I'm at a complete stop the engine doesn't turn off? Just one less button to push when I get in my car and not have to worry about the engine turning off to conserve gas. I didn't buy this vehicle because gas was a concern...LOL
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This feature is disabled if you drive in dynamic mode.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5marty
I can't recall completely, but in "Dynamic" mode it is lessen. I think I had it in "Dynamic" mode once before and the feature still came on I'll have to test it more but I wish that feature was disabled by default. I even looked in the MMI but couldn't find anything.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

I LOVE the auto Stop/start.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s5marty
It will be disabled in Sport mode.

It's still enabled if the car is in Dynamic but not Sport.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamis
It will be disabled in Sport mode.

It's still enabled if the car is in Dynamic but not Sport.
OK, I'm confused...what is the difference between "Sport" mode on the shifter vs. "Dynamic" mode on the drive select? It seems that "Dynamic" makes the vehicle sportiest it can get...no?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 496 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrkast
I can't recall completely, but in "Dynamic" mode it is lessen. I think I had it in "Dynamic" mode once before and the feature still came on I'll have to test it more but I wish that feature was disabled by default. I even looked in the MMI but couldn't find anything.
Engine/transmission in S mode, as Jamis beat me to it.

You have to push a button to start the car, one more isn't really that hard

If it could be disabled by default, it couldn't be used to provide a consumption/emissions "credit" for certification. The current system requires the driver to make a physical intervention to turn that setting off, so it is the driver and not the manufacturer who is determining the efficiency level of the vehicle.

Same reason the car always starts in D mode, and never S mode, regardless if Dynamic is the Audi Drive Select mode at startup.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Engine/transmission in S mode, as Jamis beat me to it.

You have to push a button to start the car, one more isn't really that hard

If it could be disabled by default, it couldn't be used to provide a consumption/emissions "credit" for certification. The current system requires the driver to make a physical intervention to turn that setting off, so it is the driver and not the manufacturer who is determining the efficiency level of the vehicle.

Same reason the car always starts in D mode, and never S mode, regardless if Dynamic is the Audi Drive Select mode at startup.
OK, thanks for the clarification. But if I put it in "Dynamic"...doesn't that adjust the engine/transmission to be more sporty which seems to negate the "S" mode? I guess I'm just not understanding what Drive Select does then vs. the shifter
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 496 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrkast
OK, thanks for the clarification. But if I put it in "Dynamic"...doesn't that adjust the engine/transmission to be more sporty which seems to negate the "S" mode? I guess I'm just not understanding what Drive Select does then vs. the shifter
Unlike BMW or Mercedes, Audi allows you to alter the engine/transmission setting independently from the drive mode. You can be driving along in Comfort, and enable the S setting if you momentarily want a more responsive engine.

If you cycle through the Audi Drive Select setting whilst the car is running, when you get to Dynamic, then S mode will be engaged. If you start the car in Dynamic, then D mode is engaged. Audi have used this approach since 2011 or so.

S mode is the same mapping as engine/transmission Dynamic setting under Audi Drive Select.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Unlike BMW or Mercedes, Audi allows you to alter the engine/transmission setting independently from the drive mode. You can be driving along in Comfort, and enable the S setting if you momentarily want a more responsive engine.

If you cycle through the Audi Drive Select setting whilst the car is running, when you get to Dynamic, then S mode will be engaged. If you start the car in Dynamic, then D mode is engaged. Audi have used this approach since 2011 or so.

S mode is the same mapping as engine/transmission Dynamic setting under Audi Drive Select.
So, in theory if I'm driving in Comfort and switch to Dynamic...that automatically engages "S" mode...correct? Wouldn't that mean that the auto/stop feature would be disabled once I'm in "Dynamic" mode regardless of the shifter being in "D" mode?

Quick Reply: Auto Stop/Start