Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi RS5 Sportback US official

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
I come from Europe... E Class is used in some taxis because they have nice and comfortable interiors, and they are reliable in some engine versions... That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

I still fail to see what an RS5 Sportback gets you that's better than what you get from an M550i or an S6/S7 (or their upcoming replacement) or a CLS53 AMG. On the other hand, cars like the CLS53 AMG or M550i have much nicer interiors, stronger engines, and are better equipped than the RS5 Sportback. That's why I don't understand the niche for something like the RS5 Sportback.
Not to argue, but modern E classes are nice interiors? I guess we can agree to disagree there. Save for AMG versions, they are average.

Exclusivity would be the first thing that comes to mind, as well as still flying under the radar from a branding standpoint. RS models also hold their value far better than a BMW. Can't speak to the MB, I don't pay much attention to their offerings anymore.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Exclusivity would be the first thing that comes to mind, as well as still flying under the radar from a branding standpoint. RS models also hold their value far better than a BMW. Can't speak to the MB, I don't pay much attention to their offerings anymore.
I think there's a bit of a niche for the RS5 Sportback in Europe because it's a bit smaller than the S6/S7/M550i/CLS53/etc. There's an advantage to smaller cars in many European cities. This doesn't apply much in the US.

Audi could sell more S4 Avant in the US than RS5 Sportback in my estimation, and they should have brought that one instead. In the US, for the RS5 Sportback price, the buyers will go either for the the M3/M4/C63S if they value sportiness/handling/track/drifting/performance most, or they'll go for the M550i/E43/CLS53/S6/S7 if they prefer well-equipped comfortable sport sedans with great interior, equipment, space, power and good handling.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I think there's a bit of a niche for the RS5 Sportback in Europe because it's a bit smaller than the S6/S7/M550i/CLS53/etc. There's an advantage to smaller cars in many European cities. This doesn't apply much in the US.

Audi could sell more S4 Avant in the US than RS5 Sportback in my estimation, and they should have brought that one instead. In the US, for the RS5 Sportback price, the buyers will go either for the the M3/M4/C63S if they value sportiness/handling/track/drifting/performance most, or they'll go for the M550i/E43/CLS53/S6/S7 if they prefer well-equipped comfortable sport sedans with great interior, equipment, space, power and good handling.
I'd love to see the S4 Avant or RS4 here. I've had 2 S4 Avants, and miss them. Unfortunately, over time, tastes here have gravitated to the SUV, which is why they did an SQ5, and we may see higher trims down the road there.

RS models are limited runs, they don't make endless amounts. Demand will be very strong for the RS5 sportback, and dealers will have no problem selling the few that come ashore. Remember, Audi has the highest brand loyalty of any of it's rivals, and sales are up for record months consistently and progressively. They don't bring it here if there isn't a business case for it.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

An E43 is nothing but an E class underneath. Ever see what taxis are in Europe? E class MB's.

I'm still failing to see the fll extent of the argument, as the things that make a car truly special - suspension, engine, brakes, seats, are different in S models and different further in RS models, vs. their A or Q counterparts. The Tech features are constant throughout most Audi's - and throughout most brands at the end of the day.

Having spent time with a Cayman, I don't know if I'd classify it as special. Fun car for sure, but special, I'm not sold on.
I think Motor Trend and Car and Driver might disagree with you. Motor Trend picked the new Cayman the second best drivers car produced right behind the Ferrari 488. The Porsche 911 turbo came in behind the Cayman
Old 01-27-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd love to see the S4 Avant or RS4 here. I've had 2 S4 Avants, and miss them. Unfortunately, over time, tastes here have gravitated to the SUV, which is why they did an SQ5, and we may see higher trims down the road there.

RS models are limited runs, they don't make endless amounts. Demand will be very strong for the RS5 sportback, and dealers will have no problem selling the few that come ashore. Remember, Audi has the highest brand loyalty of any of it's rivals, and sales are up for record months consistently and progressively. They don't bring it here if there isn't a business case for it.
Yes, they can probably sell enough to justify bringing the RS5, but wouldn't they be able to sell more S4 Avant? I find it hard to believe that there would be more niche enthusiasts for the RS5 Sportback than the S4 Avant (or the RS4 that you mentioned).

I had an SQ5, and it still drove like an SUV and not a sedan or a wagon. I hated it and got rid of it pretty quickly.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel my S5 Sportback has enough luxury and comfort that I do not miss not having a 5 series BMW or an A6. The agility and performance offered by a smaller, lighter car like the S5 appeals to me. If the RS 5 Sportback provides a sizable performance upgrade and priced at within $10 grand or so of a similar equipped S5 Sportback, I think it would be quite perfect and I would not mind upgrading to one in the future. Another plus for the RS5 Sportback is that I expect it would be a much rarer car to see around the streets than even the Audi S cars.

I do think Audi, beside puts in a more powerful engine, should also includes the first class Audi/Porsche dual clutch transmission with the RS5 and RS5 Sportback..

Last edited by WENR; 01-27-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WENR
I feel my S5 Sportback has enough luxury and comfort that I do not miss not having a 5 series BMW or an A6. The agility and performance offered by a smaller, lighter car like the S5 appeals to me. If the RS 5 Sportback provides a sizable performance upgrade and priced at within $10 grand or so of a similar equipped S5 Sportback, I think it would be quite perfect and I would not mind upgrading to one in the future. Another plus for the RS5 Sportback is that I expect it would be a much rarer car to see around the streets than even the Audi S cars.

I do think Audi, beside puts in a more powerful engine, should also includes the first class Audi/Porsche dual clutch transmission with the RS5 and RS5 Sportback..
The S5 Sportback is a nice car - I don't think it's a bad choice or anything like that, and I like the way it looks, so don't get me wrong, but I somewhat disagree with you on the comparison to the 5-series. The 540i RWD is actually lighter than the S5 Sportback, and the 540i xDrive is only slightly heavier. I haven't driven the 540i xDrive, but the 540i RWD handles better than the S5 Sportback, has better steering feel, and it has significantly better throttle/transmission/engine response (I test drove both pretty extensively.) The interior, including seat comfort (if you pick the multi-contour seats) is in a different class. The S5 Sportback is very close in price to the 540i. Overall (for me), the S5 Sportback is a difficult proposition at its price point unless you really love the look or the hatchback.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S5 Sportback is a nice car - I don't think it's a bad choice or anything like that, and I like the way it looks, so don't get me wrong, but I somewhat disagree with you on the comparison to the 5-series. The 540i RWD is actually lighter than the S5 Sportback, and the 540i xDrive is only slightly heavier. I haven't driven the 540i xDrive, but the 540i RWD handles better than the S5 Sportback, has better steering feel, and it has significantly better throttle/transmission/engine response (I test drove both pretty extensively.) The interior, including seat comfort (if you pick the multi-contour seats) is in a different class. The S5 Sportback is very close in price to the 540i. Overall (for me), the S5 Sportback is a difficult proposition at its price point unless you really love the look or the hatchback.
still a boat
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I am biased nowadays, I test drove a 540i RWD before buying the S5 Sportback, the 540i did nothing for me as a sport sedan. I felt BMWs are getting more isolated, less direct and precise than Audis, or older generation of BMWs. Of course, my test drive was on local streets and did not last for very long, I did not drive on tracks to really test the limit of its handling, but I just do not think BMW has the same feel as before. And reading from many reviewers I do not think I am alone. To be fair, I was driving my 2013 S4 when the test drive occurred, and my impression of the 540i was it was not more fun to drive than my old S4.

Now I must admit the old super-charged S4 with DSG felt more responsive, agile than my current S5 Sportback with turbo engine and automatic transmission. The current S4/S5 is a lot more comfortable, has better seats, better ride, and better tech, but if I had taken a more extensive test drive of it , and if I had not became an Audi fan boy, I may think twice about buying/leasing it. I think the S5 Sportback can be a great car but the current tune on engine response/sound/transmission can be better. And that is also one of the reason that I am hoping the RS5 Sportback would be the more perfect car.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

It's official, I'll be ordering an RS5 SB once its available.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 Sportback US official