Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback, How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 08:21 AM
KarimAudiLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
We might have one of the few A5 S-Line trimmed cars in the UK, where we actively deselected the Sports suspension and specced it with the Comfort suspension. Best decision ever.
glad you did!, totally agree. Will swap out my sport suspension for the standard!, totally worth it
Old 03-19-2022, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I really don't understand. I have a S5 with the adaptive suspension and never got a complaint from passenger about the suspension. Quite the opposite. And it's always in Dynamic.

However, my tires are not inflated to "max load" pressure.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I really don't understand. I have a S5 with the adaptive suspension and never got a complaint from passenger about the suspension. Quite the opposite. And it's always in Dynamic.

However, my tires are not inflated to "max load" pressure.
Same here. I think it must have come down to tire pressure for that A5 buyer, I found my suspension really jarring the first few days after I inflated it to the door sticker (19" wheels). But after setting it to 32-ish, like the dealer also sets it, it's very compliant and comfortable in both Dynamic and Comfort settings, only a slight difference between the two.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an A5 Coupe s Line with the Sport Suspension. I deliberately chose the A5 S Line for its superior handling. It does have a ride that is harsher than an A4 or A5 with a standard suspension, but the S Line Sport Suspension delivers superior handling.

I am more accustomed to a two-seat sports car, so even the S Line A5 feels a little "sloppy" to me.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
I replaced those with a set of Continental DWS06 Plus that just got released and that has made a significant difference, I've been driving it in 15-40 degrees weather and light snow in the last couple of weeks and just feels like a different car, rides smooth and composed over any bump and the tires just grip for days, can't wait to drive it in the summer.

I'd strongly recommend you get the Conti's on the car before you try anything else, cost me $1,060 all in for the set at Big O Tires, best money I've spent on the car to date.
I second this. I had 245/40r18 Pirelli P7 All Season tires from the factory. My car came with the standard/comfort “dynamic” suspension. On my test drive, all seemed fine. However, after a few weeks of driving in my own city, I grew to hate the crashy suspension. I took it to two Audi dealers to diagnose but they said that is how it is. After a year of playing with tire pressures and waiting for the suspension to settle in, I swapped to Continental DWS06+ in the same 245/40r18 size using the tire pressures in the owner’s manual. The ride is SO much more comfortable (though gas mileage seems worse), and the car seems to handle and accelerate AT LEAST as well.

Maybe I have low expectations, but I think the handling of the car is great for its size and weight. I feel no need for stiffer suspension. I only drive on public roads.

Keep in mind that the A5 is lowered 20mm compared to the A4. It isn’t designed to be as plush as an A4 or an A6 or a Q7. The A5 does little to smooth over potholes, even with the comfort suspension and more comfortable tires. Steep driveways and speed bumps are no fun either. The A5 Sportback is a sporty premium coupe stretched to fit a small family; it isn’t just a sportier-looking A4 .
Old 03-21-2022, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kariemadab2020@gmail.com
sorry for venting out my frustration, I was just too disappointed with the way it rides.
ways to fix it would be highly appreciated.

I’m exploring a couple of options,
1-replacing the sport suspension with standard, I got a quote for $2k parts plus $2.5k labour which I think is a little higher especially for labour.

2-sell it/ and get an a6 premium 55 with standard suspension which I test drove yesterday and it rides perfectly.

your thoughts/opinions/ideas ?!!

Your best option is to trade your terribly uncomfortable 2022 car for my 2018 model A5.....its got that oh so soft standard suspension and is smooth as butter on the Henry Hudson ...I'm willing to sacrifice 👌

Last edited by baciaudi; 03-21-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baciaudi
Your best option is to trade your terribly uncomfortable 2022 car for my 2018 model A5.....its got that oh so soft standard suspension and is smooth as butter on the Henry Hudson ...I'm willing to sacrifice 👌
If you’d seriously do the trade it could very well be a win-win.

I honestly wouldn’t trade my B9 A5 Sportback with 37K miles for a 2022 A5/S5/RS5 Sportback with 0 miles, even if the suspension were swapped first.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 485 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Kariemadab2020@gmail.com
...that leaves me with swapping out the fixed sport suspension I have with the Dynamic standard fixed suspension. It will cost a little much ($2k parts plus $2.5 K labour) but I gotta do it...
Personally, I would find a car with the standard suspension and drive it over imperfect roads before spending the money to retro-fit your car. You could spend all of that money and still be disappointed.

Everyone wants something different from a car. All of these cars (A/S/RS, 3/4/5/6/7/8) all have different design priorities. Choose the model that best fits what you want. Smooth is not at the top of my list, but a compliant suspension that does not lose its composure when driving assertively on imperfect roads is. So, what is acceptable for me may be harsh for you. Tire pressure matters, as others have said. The A6 was also a good suggestion if your priority is comfort. In addition to the longer wheelbase it is heavier and has different design priorities than an A5. It's too big for me, but it may be just right for you.

Buying a car without an adequate test drive is like buying mail order shoes, except that mail order shoes are a lot easier to return. Do your due diligence before you decide what to do.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan99:
DCB1951 (03-23-2022), Nikon1 (03-23-2022), ShiftyWolf (03-24-2022)