Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

718 vs S5 comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 718 vs S5 comfort?

I consider ordering an 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (with Sport seat Plus, PASM suspension (-20mm) and 20" wheels) and I was wondering how it would compare to my S5 for a few hours ride in term of comfort (suspension, road / wind noise, ...). I currently have adaptative suspension (always in Dynamic) and 19" wheels.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 08-10-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I consider ordering an 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (with Sport seat Plus, PASM suspension (-20mm) and 20" wheels) and I was wondering how it would compare to my S5 for a few hours ride in term of comfort (suspension, road / wind noise, ...). I currently have adaptative suspension (always in Dynamic) and 19" wheels.
You're probably going to get more relevant responses on Rennlist or another Porsche forum unless you get very lucky and someone on here owns both. I have a 981 Cayman S with the base suspension and it rides very well for a sports car, but not as smooth as my A5SB. However, that's a different platform, suspension, etc. vs the 718 4.0. I think it's safe to assume it won't ride as well as your S5 and have more road noise, the question is how much.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I have owned both. The 718 in base or S versions ride pretty nice for short wheelbase car. But the tire noise makes it a HORRIBLE gt car. On the highway I had to turn the volume so high that I would lose some of my hearing. Today's Porsches are great performers, but absolutely horrible cars for trips. Too bad, because they drive so well. Today's Porsches are for the style guys, show up at your local Cars and Coffee and brag about your car.When you test drive whatever Cayman you're looking at, make sure to drive varying road surfaces. I am sure the salesman will try to steer you away from noisy surfaces.

Last edited by dpcompt; 08-10-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: change
The following 2 users liked this post by dpcompt:
mhoran89 (08-11-2021), trion20001 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to compare the comfort of a 718 to a S5. I currently own a pretty heavily modified 718S, and a S5 SB. I enjoy long trips in the 718(About 5 hours tops) but my girlfriend hates it. I have the car lowered, and on 18" rims, and its bumpy and loud. I also have a full exhaust which makes the loudness of the tires irrelevant. Lastly, the car has full recaro bucket seats, which I will say make the trips a little harder but still manageable. I found the regular sport seats to be more than applicable.

All in all, from a pure comfort standpoint, the S5 is miles more comfortable. Yet I still find myself using the 718 for weekend trips due to the driving experience.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dpcompt
I have owned both. The 718 in base or S versions ride pretty nice for short wheelbase car. But the tire noise makes it a HORRIBLE gt car. On the highway I had to turn the volume so high that I would lose some of my hearing. Today's Porsches are great performers, but absolutely horrible cars for trips. Too bad, because they drive so well. Today's Porsches are for the style guys, show up at your local Cars and Coffee and brag about your car.When you test drive whatever Cayman you're looking at, make sure to drive varying road surfaces. I am sure the salesman will try to steer you away from noisy surfaces.
Well, not my experience at all, so this illustrates the issue with getting opinions on things like ride comfort and noise levels from others. You really need to experience the cars yourself and make your own judgments. I've driven my 981 on fairly long trips (200+ miles) and have not found it to be uncomfortable at all. Is it as smooth and quiet as an Audi sedan? Of course not, it's a sports car that wasn't designed to be a grand touring car. The Cayman is considered by many to be the true sports car in the Porsche lineup today, excluding the GT cars in the 911 series. Again, I have no first-hand experience with the 718 4.0, but I'd expect it to be everything my 981 is and more as a sports car.