Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2023 S5 Sportback front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Unfortunately when I checked the “STO ‘N’ Show” website they seem to have cut back on the number of cars they support.

@ObiRS5 — Same state and have run “front-plate-free” for more than 5 years (though I do have the STO ‘N’ Show mount and my front plate in the backseat). With our State Inspection requirements, I don’t even put the front plate on to go through the process.

For the non-NJ drivers, our State mandated, every other year inspection consists of a computer connection to the OBD port for emissions testing and then you are out the door. Worrisome when I see some of the “wrecks” around me on the roads; bald tires, squealing brakes, pogo stick suspensions, rusted out bodies …

— John
Agreed John, NJ inspections have become pretty brainless and the amount of jalops I’ve seen driving around recently is alarming.

Good to know about not even needing the front plate to get the inspection renewal. I’ve got till ‘28 and I can imagine by then it will just be an at-home questionnaire to complete 🤣
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

My dealer doesn't drill anything without asking first. My plate is attached at the top to the two bottom mounts under the solid part of the grille. The bottom just kinda rests on the splitter. Looks good to me and no permanent holes required.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not sticky tape?
Old 10-04-2023, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
Why not sticky tape?
NAR cars don't have the space for the tape to stick on, its screwed onto 2 piece of black plastic. Some dealers in US are so smart that that mount the plate in front of the intercooler instead of the crash bar.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaywagenaar
I think I am going to give this bracket a try:

https://www.slybrackets.com/store/SB...LES-p500412543
My slybracket arrived and it’s pretty neat. You can adjust the height and it works perfectly.
I am pleased with the purchase.
The dealership had unfortunately already mounted my plate and drilled into the plastic pieces with the threaded holes. Fortunately they mounted the top of the plate at the pre-threaded holes and didn’t make holes directly in the grill. you can see the two little holes if you zoom in on the picture.

I would definitely recommend this bracket for anyone who wants to mount a US front plate and you don’t want to make holes in the grill.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Unfortunately when I checked the “STO ‘N’ Show” website they seem to have cut back on the number of cars they support.

@ObiRS5 — Same state and have run “front-plate-free” for more than 5 years (though I do have the STO ‘N’ Show mount and my front plate in the backseat). With our State Inspection requirements, I don’t even put the front plate on to go through the process.

For the non-NJ drivers, our State mandated, every other year inspection consists of a computer connection to the OBD port for emissions testing and then you are out the door. Worrisome when I see some of the “wrecks” around me on the roads; bald tires, squealing brakes, pogo stick suspensions, rusted out bodies …

— John
I havent run a front plate in almost 20 years now. Only got one "fix it" ticket in that time. Now in NJ, no front plate or tint are no longer considered first offenses to get pulled over for anymore. Can only get a ticket for it as a secondary offense if you were speeding or driving wrecklessly or whatever.
The following 2 users liked this post by HyperS4:
audi40 (10-09-2023), Nikon1 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 03:43 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

They don't drill into the grille. They use self-tapping screws that screw into removable plastic inserts. There are dimples in the plastic for where the screws go. The inserts vary depending on model and trim level. Here's the front of my A4 Allroad (don't mind the squished bugs)...

Old 10-08-2023, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use the front tow hook mount?
Old 10-08-2023, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by nofade
Why not use the front tow hook mount?
Plenty do. I don't care for the off center look at all. Just screw the lower two holes into the lower plate mounts and don't bother with the upper two holes, done. Someone who won't run a front plate is going to remove the plate mounts anyway for a better look.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (10-09-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:26 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That's what I want to know how to remove those plate mounts!

Quick Reply: 2023 S5 Sportback front license plate