Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Model S5 Interior issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Model S5 Interior issues

Hello! This isn't as much of a rant as it is to simply get more information on "known issues" with this specific year/ model and if anyone knows if Audi has acknowledged the issues and have made improvements to the slightly redesigned model coming in 2020. I haven't had any engine problems thankfully, or any tech issues.. but the interior of the car has been kind of a joke from the beginning.

First year issues:
- very prominent creaking/rattling coming from the passenger door, somewhere near the top panel above the handle.
- prominent rattle coming from the sunroof
- small baby rattle noise coming from the driver side seatbelt compartment, right in the drivers ear
- back right failed strut housing which was causing a knocking noise every time you drove over a bump

Work done to remedy the above:
- had both doors and dashboard taken out and foam lined
- had the sunroof completely replaced, had to order a new one from Germany
- seat belt housing was apparently taken apart and foam lined, tho I still hear it now and then
- had to get the strut replaced which was a known issue in this model

Almost two years into this lease I'm finally at a place where I'm enjoying what was supposed to be my dream car. I typically don't allow myself to pay more than $500 a month for a car, but splurged on this S5 for the first time. I'm actually considering getting another one after this believe it or not, but only if I find more information about Audi addressing all of the issues above with the new model. Does anyone know if they made efforts to totally revamp the interior quality?

Big thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so thrilled you posted this. I've got all the same rattles and was going to call the dealership about this today.

I had the knocking sound as well, but in my case was told something wasn't tightened entirely in the factory. That was repaired in the first month of ownership and hasn't made a noise since.

Regarding replacing with the update...I entirely agree with you. I love this car. It's an ideal balance of sporty and a daily livable driver which makes me consider either just buying it after the lease is up, or getting a new one.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had similar rattle nightmares in my S4. Still dealing with the baby rattle in the driver's ear thing. I've had it into the shop over 5 times for that rattle alone.

It's been positively embarrassing to have spent $60,000+ on a vehicle with extremely quiet road noise (acoustic glass on windshield, dual pane acoustic side windows in the Prestige trim, etc. all of which pile on expense) and then lo and behold, the luxuriously quiet cockpit to the rocketship you bought starts rattling like a child's toy after you own it for 3-4 weeks. I am really not sure I'll own an Audi product again after this one because of this nonsense.

I have too much depreciation and love the engine + quattro so I'll tough it out on this one, but my next car will probably just be a Subaru. I could buy two of them for the price of this car and still have half the total # of rattles, and all I'll miss is the horsepower.
The following users liked this post:
Ycore (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same type of rattle right next to my ear! I can press on the B-pillar around the seatbelt and get it to quiet down, but it always comes back. I asked them to look at it @ 10K miles and they supposedly installed some padding, but now it squeaks whenever I touch it and the rattle hasn't gone away. I'm leaving well enough alone for now, but it's annoying that it's literally right at ear level.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the creaking/rattling from the passenger door around the matte plastic insert-- it's the last of about five different rattles I've had fixed, and it's been to the shop a total of five times to be repaired, to no success. I had the other rattles fixed by an audio shop btw as the dealer was next to useless. Unless the dealer can fix it with "felt tape", it isn't getting fixed I've learnt.

I've just basically given up trying to fix that 1st rattle. Door has been lined with dynamat, which fixed the speaker rattling, but has no impact on that 1st rattle you mention. It almost sounds like a plastic spring like noise-- fairly sure it's that plastic insert. At this point, all the time/effort and resultant failure in getting it fixed makes me rage, and I'm starting to feel like a broken man. The first thing I do when I get in the car is blast the stereo so I can't hear it while driving, otherwise the blood pressure starts rising.

Even absent this one remaining major rattle, the whole car creaks and pops when moving over anything but even pavement-- ramps, driveways, turning down hills, etc-- creaks from all over the frame.

Very disappointed and will be trading in for an M2 once it's paid off in six months or so. It's too bad, my 2014 S4 was flawless.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ycore:
FrankS5 (10-22-2019), vsaudi (05-11-2020)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Do those rims fit without spacers?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Do those rims fit without spacers?

Wrong thread or random comment?

— John
Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Wrong thread or random comment?

— John
Was referencing the profile picture of @Kaeden
Old 10-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Was referencing the profile picture of @Kaeden
Ahhh
Old 10-21-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

heya, yea the HRE FF01s fit perfect. one of the reasons I got them, since my car is a lease I didn't want to mess with the suspension/springs

(for Luder)
The following users liked this post:
luder888 (10-21-2019)

Quick Reply: 2018 Model S5 Interior issues