Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wheel spacers advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wrestling
Pete - What is the difference between the DR and DRA series?
Dr's slide on hub and require longer bolts to attach wheel and spacer as one. Dra's come with short bolts that you mount the spacer to hub with. Then you use your factory bolts to mount wheel to spacer.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

^Thanks.

With the DRA's being more expensive, is that the preferred method mounting method? Or are they just more expensive because they come with the additional short bolts?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I belive for that reason and the fact they are threaded. I dont think its prefered, but when you get past 15mm they are safer? I prefer the dr because they are easier and those shallow head bolts are a pain to work with. I have dra 25's on the rear and dr 15's in the front. But plan to go to dra 20's on the front. Achtuning supplied my spacers. Skyler in thier office can answer any technical questions about them. I ran 15f and 20r with my stock y's and it was plenty aggressive. Hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

As stated above mop1.8t is correct about why they are more expensive and the difference.

As far as safety goes anytime you use spacers its recommended that you run extended lug nuts.

The standard is to add the amount in Millimeters to the stock 28mm lug bolt.

For example if you wanted you run a 20mm spacer you would add 20mm to the stock lug which would put you at 48mm. We carry a 50mm lug which is not exactly the size but close enough to where it will work no problem.

We have a variety of different size lug nuts below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions

Pete
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pete, did not mean to jump in and reference another supplier...gonna blame it on my pnuemonia and the meds. 4wrestling, im sure Pete has all the info you need to get these fitted. Pete, I have a question...I want to go from 15mm to 20mm in the front and noticed at the 20mm mark the DR and DRA are both available. Would you recommend one over the other?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am trying to understand what the fitting would look like by looking at the fitting tool from link above. Ideal fitting for my A4 is 35et 5x112. Looking at 2 different brands for 18"S. VMR's which are out of stock til July would sit flush with 235/40/18 with 35et and 8.5" wide. Alternative is Avant Garde m310 just like the v710's from VMR. the offset on the wheels are either 30 or 45, not a perfect fitment but close. If 45 is used would that mean the wheel would sit in from the fender and need to come out w/spacers? Would the 30 offset stick out a little and be to awkward?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Question:

If I had 15mm spacers in the rear and no spacers in the front, what type of wheel locks could I use for the stock 19" Y-spoke wheels? Does anyone make locks that somehow attach to the head of the bolts and still fit under the center cap?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Beakerz
Question:

If I had 15mm spacers in the rear and no spacers in the front, what type of wheel locks could I use for the stock 19" Y-spoke wheels? Does anyone make locks that somehow attach to the head of the bolts and still fit under the center cap?
Beakerz, I'm pretty sure Mcgard makes wheel lock caps. I personally use the lock bolts.

I've got a similar question. I'm currently running on wheels 18x7.5 ET 38 coming from factory 16x7 ET 42. I'm trying to run spacers 8mm in the rear 6mm in the front...what length lug nuts will I need to upgrade to? I'm currently using my stock lug nuts with no issues.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Infamouz627
Beakerz, I'm pretty sure Mcgard makes wheel lock caps. I personally use the lock bolts.

I've got a similar question. I'm currently running on wheels 18x7.5 ET 38 coming from factory 16x7 ET 42. I'm trying to run spacers 8mm in the rear 6mm in the front...what length lug nuts will I need to upgrade to? I'm currently using my stock lug nuts with no issues.
Lock caps? I did a quick Google search, but I can't find what you're talking about... are they something that goes over the original lugs or something that replaces the original lugs? My problem is that I have two different lengths on my car (or maybe I should say I will have) which means I'd have to have separate sets for the front and rear if I went with conventional wheel locks. I'm looking for something that will work with the original lugs and still fit under the center cap.

BTW, to answer your question, you just need to get wheel lugs that are longer than the orginals. In your case, 6mm and 8mm. But of course you can just go with something like 10mm longer for both the front and rear instead.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4taz: what size spacer did you end up going with? Do you have pictures?
The following users liked this post:
seattlematt (09-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers advice