Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Wanted to Check out an A5/S5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
New member - 1st Post.

My current lease is expiring in a few months so I am looking at options. I love the look of the S5! I live in the Boston metro area so I called the 2 closest local dealers (Audi Westwood & Bernardi Audi).

Neither dealer had an S5 available for a test drive. Neither dealer had an A5. Neither dealer had a car with the 2.0TFSI engine or 4.2FSI for comparison.

The closest Bernardi had was a test drive in an A4 with the outgoing 6 cylinder engine. The car looked like it hadn't been washed in weeks.

I politely asked if I could leave my name and number and have them call me when they got an A5 or S5 available for a test drive. The dealer told me that they never do test drives - that the cars sell themselves based on looks alone. He asked my why would you need to test drive the car - of course it drives well -it's an Audi...

Based on the initial dealer experiences, I don't have a good feeling about Audi.

Did anyone on this forum test drive the A5/S5 before they ordered - or was it love at first sight and hope the car meet their expectations after signing the papers?

I welcome thoughts and opinions.
Bernardi didn't let me test drive either. But Burlington Audi let me tried two different A5, 2.0T and 3.2 before I ordered a 2011 A5 2.0T in June. Give them a try.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

If you want to drive all the way up to Vermont, the local Audi dealer had an S5 on the lot last weekend when I ordered my A4. Yes, they encouraged me to test drive an A4 before making my order.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is crazy that they said you don't need to test drive one. I drove both the 3.2 and 2.0t A5 and got the 2.0t. Both are awesome. I didn't drive the S5, but I am sure it drives great. I like the weight and feel of the 2.0t and it was almost the same performance as the 3.2.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCA5
Bernardi didn't let me test drive either. But Burlington Audi let me tried two different A5, 2.0T and 3.2 before I ordered a 2011 A5 2.0T in June. Give them a try.
2nd on Burlington Audi. I bought my current A6 from them. I told them what I was looking for (color, options and price). They looked at auctions till they found what I was looking for. Very good to work with.

I also have always been able to test drive at Audi of Nashua.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Test drove a 2010 S5 cabrio today, as well as an S4, at different dealerships. Didn't have any problems doing so, although I got lucky on the S5, as that dealer had a used one with 4k miles on it. Apparently it was traded for an R8.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Guess I should also mention that I went it to try the M3 and was told that they'd only let me drive it if I was on the verge of purchasing it. I was told that they can't get them sold if they have more than a couple miles on them, and that most people order them without a test drive.

I have a 335xi right now, and maybe I'm just used to it, but the interiors are boring. I was almost set on the M3, but now I think I'm leaning toward the S5 cab.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi sor,
Try Mission Viejo Audi. I dealt with Halleh. She is very professional and helpful. Placed my order for S5 Prestige quickly without any of the usual drama. Tell her Rick referred you.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's rediculous and you should definitely find a dealer more willing. My local dealers in L.A. all have 5's in stock and are very approachable. Don't settle and don't give up on Audi just because of that. The car is still amazing.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
DMF
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, Mission Viejo is a wee bit far from Boston to go for a test drive.

I test drove an S5 cab at Audi Burlington - only thing is they make you phone ahead to book a test drive (not sure if they let you do a walk-in unless they really think you are serious).

They will also let you put a credit card down and take one for a few hours. I had looked at one, then decided the next day to get it - but by that time someone had done this "take it for a day" paid test drive and purchased it. Apparently it was "for his wife" and he needed to make sure she liked it, so he took it to visit her (she, of course, wasn't there).

I can just imagine the conversation "Honey, you'll love this car - it's got 333hp, a super charger, dsg transmission and you can even get it chipped to make 97 more horsepower - all the things you were hoping for. What, you don't need all that power? But, honey, just think how much safer you'll be on the highway, able to get out of the way _much quicker_ around those dangerous Boston drivers. And, darling, you know my _absolute first priority_ is to keep you safe. Do it for me. Please. What, you don't want a manual transmission? No, those buttons on the steering wheel aren't 'silly' and they are called 'paddles'. Of course, my sweetness, you can leave it in automatic mode when I let you drive it."

I ended up ordering a 2011 S5 cab from them. Ariving this week or next. Yea.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sor
Test drove a 2010 S5 cabrio today, as well as an S4, at different dealerships. Didn't have any problems doing so, although I got lucky on the S5, as that dealer had a used one with 4k miles on it. Apparently it was traded for an R8.
Managed to test drive an M3 coupe today, the dealer found a demo unit and called me back. I didn't think my mind would be changed in the slightest, but man, that sound. Engine braking with the DCT transmission is spine tingling. Tough decision now, I love the looks of the S5 cab, and it was tons of fun, but the M3 certainly provided more adrenaline. I guess I can't go wrong either way, so I'll probably see who can come up with the better deal (not price, they're about 10k apart, but who works better for me and gets me the better deal).

Quick Reply: Wanted to Check out an A5/S5