Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdog470
The guy who came over had a vag-com. He was able to go through the steps outlined before. The change did not occur until the next morning. I switched from english to french and back and presto, the voice command is now activated. I can give you a name and number. Where do you live?
Hi big dog, exactly what can be done with the vag com? I had a saab a few years ago and it had a ton of features that could be enabled... All u had to do is trick the system into thinking it was a euro car.
Audi is not going to build cars for different countries, unless it is a right side driver for UK , etc., so the US and Euro models should be the same with some features disabled.

My BMW 335 convertible has navi and voice control... Even at high speeds the car "listens" great to commands. My car has 2 noise cancelling microphones mounted on the top of The steering column and the Bluetooth is flawless. I can have a normal conversation at almost all speeds.
Maybe Audi should invest time into improving their microphone placement so it can be used on the cabrio.
If reception quality is the problem, they should at least give you a choice to use the system while the top is closed and it can "listen" better...
The S5 i ordered costs over $70K. U can get full voice control on a $20K Ford Focus and on most TomTom or comparable GPS units for less than $400.
Audi needs to work on this to make it work... It's unfair for a car at this level of "prestige"
Some people say they can live without it but since i already have it on my previous 3 bmw's, I want it.

Cheers

Patrick
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vag-com will make it work

Originally Posted by ppdix
Hi big dog, exactly what can be done with the vag com? I had a saab a few years ago and it had a ton of features that could be enabled... All u had to do is trick the system into thinking it was a euro car.
Audi is not going to build cars for different countries, unless it is a right side driver for UK , etc., so the US and Euro models should be the same with some features disabled.

My BMW 335 convertible has navi and voice control... Even at high speeds the car "listens" great to commands. My car has 2 noise cancelling microphones mounted on the top of The steering column and the Bluetooth is flawless. I can have a normal conversation at almost all speeds.
Maybe Audi should invest time into improving their microphone placement so it can be used on the cabrio.
If reception quality is the problem, they should at least give you a choice to use the system while the top is closed and it can "listen" better...
The S5 i ordered costs over $70K. U can get full voice control on a $20K Ford Focus and on most TomTom or comparable GPS units for less than $400.
Audi needs to work on this to make it work... It's unfair for a car at this level of "prestige"
Some people say they can live without it but since i already have it on my previous 3 bmw's, I want it.

Cheers

Patrick
i got my own vag-com and changed bit 16 to 00 then enabled the hidden menu and scrolled through the languges without changing anything shut the car off for an hour went back and it worked. go to a5oc site it's a5ownersclub forum for more detailed instructions
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mharris561@aol.com
i got my own vag-com and changed bit 16 to 00 then enabled the hidden menu and scrolled through the languges without changing anything shut the car off for an hour went back and it worked. go to a5oc site it's a5ownersclub forum for more detailed instructions
I'm in somereset county nj and i'm willing to help anyone who wants to drive over.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdog470
I bought the new S5 Cabriolet in Aug. 2009. Signed contract for Prestige model with the MMI system because I wanted voice command for the phone, navigation and audio. Car delivered on Friday, 13 Nov. (in the rain!) I was advised by the sales rep at time of delivery the there is "limited use of voice command in the cab" What that really means is that there is NO voice command in the cab. The dealership says that they didn't know it until the car arrived. I have a signed contract for this option. The Audi brochure on the A5/S5 cabriolet clearly stated that it is a part of the MMI system.

I contacted Audi Customer care in Michigan to complain and to ask that this voice activation be activated. They say they cannot (will not) do it.

I am very annoyed with Audi of America for deceiving me. BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti and Lexus all have voice command in their convertibles. This is my 5th, and most expensive Audi. I want what I paid for.

Is there anyone else out there who bought a 2010 A5/S5 cabriolet who is as angry as I am?
I ordered an A5 cabrio last September, and the sales rep told me up front that the voice command was disabled in the convertibles (it works in the coupe). That said, I thought it looked stupid to have the voice command button on the steering wheel without it working. I too asked the dealer to re-program the computer to enable the voice command, and he said it would invalidate the warranty. I complained to Audi and got a wishy-washy answer back that the feature is not available on the cabriolet, without any reason given.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILVERLAKER
I ordered an A5 cabrio last September, and the sales rep told me up front that the voice command was disabled in the convertibles (it works in the coupe). That said, I thought it looked stupid to have the voice command button on the steering wheel without it working. I too asked the dealer to re-program the computer to enable the voice command, and he said it would invalidate the warranty. I complained to Audi and got a wishy-washy answer back that the feature is not available on the cabriolet, without any reason given.
Your dealer is being too funny. Since the car "does not" have the voice command feature, its warranty can not be voided because it was never covered in the first place.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ppdix
Hi, I just ordered a 2011 S5 Cabrio Prestige, Driver Select, Comfort... I was test driving the car today and the salesman broke the news that there was no voice commands on the convertibles... I am disappointed and pissed off. Luckily I found your post and will try to find someone to do it for me when I get the car in 3 months.
One question though. Do u know if the soft top can be operated remotely? I currently drive a BMW 335 convertible and it is one of my favorite features.
Thanx in advance.

Patrick
ppdix:

I am interested in your 2011 S5 cab order as I am considering doing the same. What changes are they making to the 2011's? Did you get a copy of the 2011 ordering guide? When is the scheduled production date?

sfy1505
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

6000 views and only 70 replies?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

I am thinking of purchasing a cabrio S5 as well.. not much of a problem if it doesn't come with voice control, my only worry is with the retractable roof system, how often can I open it and close it without burning the hydraulics?? Do you all have pics?? What are the best color combinations?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
6000 views and only 70 replies?
why does it matter to you?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILVERLAKER
I too asked the dealer to re-program the computer to enable the voice command, and he said it would invalidate the warranty.
Absolute rubbish. The warranty cannot be invalidated for any mod. All they can do is deny a warranty claim if your mod caused the problem. And there is nothing that can go wrong that can be realistically blamed on enabling voice command.

Quick Reply: Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet