Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Throttle Lag Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Lag Question

I have a 2011 A5 Sline Tiptronic that's still within the break-in period. Anyway, I seem to be one of those affected by the 'drive-by-wire' throttle lag (or delayed response). This is mainly noticeable when driving off from a stopped position or a very low speed. From searching the posts here, it seems to be a fairly common thing for all models of Audis.

I'm aware of a product called Sprint Booster that supposedly helps with this but I was wondering if anyone has ever brought their vehicle back to the dealer to have this corrected or adjusted (if that is a possibility). I thought I read somewhere about someone talking about a Technical Service Bulletin for the throttle lag issue, but I don't know if one actually exists.

Therefore I was wondering, do most people just get used to this then, or buy a Sprint Booster or not even experience this problem?

One last question, with the 8 speed Tiptronic, is there a display to let you know what gear you're currently in (1-8)? I don't believe there is but thought I'd ask.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

There is some inherent lag with the TipTronic. You get used to "pre-spooling" the turbo for better off the line performance. A tune really helps as well (StaSIS, APR, etc.).

There was a TSB in January of 2011 to upgrade the transmission firmware (TCM) so if your build is prior then yes you should get the latest.

In sport mode (Sport package with paddle shifters) the in-gear is displayed. In non-sport it is not.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new A5.

Yes, your ECU may still be in the 'learning' mode, and you can perform a readjustment anytime by turning the key to on (without hitting brake to turn the engine on).

Then hit the throttle to the floor a few times to let it 'learn' again. Turn the car off, then on again and see if that helps.

Barring that, then yes go to the dealer to see if they can update your car's software with any known fixes.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Isn't "Throttle Lag" inherent with all turbocharged engines? Some designs minimize the effect, but it is just the nature of the design. The turbocharger can not make any boost until the engine produces exhaust flow to spin the turbocharger.

As for the ECU "learning", I believe it only learns the condition of the engine sensors and adjusts accordingly. I don't however remember seeing any Audi provided information that it learns how you drive.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by a5_fanatic
I have a 2011 A5 Sline Tiptronic that's still within the break-in period. Anyway, I seem to be one of those affected by the 'drive-by-wire' throttle lag (or delayed response). This is mainly noticeable when driving off from a stopped position or a very low speed. From searching the posts here, it seems to be a fairly common thing for all models of Audis.

I'm aware of a product called Sprint Booster that supposedly helps with this but I was wondering if anyone has ever brought their vehicle back to the dealer to have this corrected or adjusted (if that is a possibility). I thought I read somewhere about someone talking about a Technical Service Bulletin for the throttle lag issue, but I don't know if one actually exists.

Therefore I was wondering, do most people just get used to this then, or buy a Sprint Booster or not even experience this problem?

One last question, with the 8 speed Tiptronic, is there a display to let you know what gear you're currently in (1-8)? I don't believe there is but thought I'd ask.
Adjust the RATE at which you depress the throttle. That's what the car repsonds too. Press a bit faster and the problem fades away.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1. Your ECU is learning.
2. The enigne has a turbo
3. You have a tiptronic.

About the worst combo for lag you can imagine.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona A5
Isn't "Throttle Lag" inherent with all turbocharged engines? Some designs minimize the effect, but it is just the nature of the design. The turbocharger can not make any boost until the engine produces exhaust flow to spin the turbocharger.
Throttle lag and turbo lag are actually two separate issues. For example, the new BMW 528, which has a NA engine, has been criticized for its severe throttle lag. The 2.0T, which has a small and responsive turbo, has a relatively minor amount of turbo lag. In this case, throttle-by-wire and the transmission tuning are more responsible for the lack of responsiveness.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

Huey52, ah didn't know the gear only displayed when using the paddle shifters (and in S mode) I haven't really used them much yet as I let the auto shift by itself during the break-in period. I did try it out and noticed it was showing the gear as you had mentioned.

Part of why I notice this lag so much is that there is a nine level parkade that I have to go through. Thus I'm driving pretty slow to begin with and it's a constant brake, little gas, brake, little gas etc as there are blind corners with oncoming cars in the other unmarked lane.