Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thoughts on clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to let mine get chipped up and then replace it with this...

http://www.awe-tuning.com/eurogear-a...bon-fiber-hood
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Avantgarde
I am going to let mine get chipped up and then replace it with this...

http://www.awe-tuning.com/eurogear-a...bon-fiber-hood
haha 2F2F!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

It really depends on how you view your vehicle and how long you keep them.

I have PPF on all my cars and would never consider not having it. And the new Xpel films are unbelievably clear. And I challenge "Turbo Freak" to be able to spot that my S5 has paint protection on it from 3 feet let alone 20 feet.

On the S5 we went with full front protection with full hood and full fender. Other cars in the garage and previous experience is that a rock has the uncanny ability to find the area on the hood where the film is not applied.

Also, I have had fill removed after 5 years due to a collision repair and there was no evidence that film had been apllied to the paint, other than the fact that the protected areas are in better condition than the non-protected areas. I will caution you that if you have a chip/ding repair and then film applied on top of that, the repair may get pulled up if the film needs to be replaced. So have touch-up paint handy.

My two cents. Hope you found it of some value.

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
I originally didn't do it when I bought my car (mainly because of the cost). Two years later, I now regret it, because I can see all sorts of white dots on my hood that I originally thought was just crap, but I can't get them off, which means they're small chips.

Not sure if there's an option for me now (any ideas? Detail it and then apply?)

Completely agree with this - if I did do it now, I would pay up do it for the full hood for sure. I know you can't really see the line from far away on the partial hood where the film ends, but you definitely can from up close and that would drive me nuts. There's a RS4 in my building who has the partial hood, and I swear if I didn't know what clear bra was, I would've thought someone had keyed his car across the hood.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

my 2010 S5 w/3M clear bra (installed 5/11)

Three shots with a 70mm lens at 8ft from the car.

I can live with seeing the bra line from the some angles.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Absolutely get the clear bra installed.

I track my cars and the sand blasting they get at the track has made my windscreen covered with tiny tiny pits but my clear bra installation (mirrors, entire front, fenders and quarters) has stood the test of time and abuse.

I have used clear bras on my Audis and when done by a good installer, they are virtually invisible.

I've had car people walk around my car and suggest that I get it clear bra'd - to which I reply "it is". Particularly the brilliant red S5. You really need to get well within an arm's length to see the seam and only then, if you're looking for it.