Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Sports package for 2010 2.0T a5

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports package for 2010 2.0T a5

I'm just about ready to pick up a 2010 2.0T a5. I'm definitely getting the premium plus and nav. I was pretty set on getting the sports package as well, but am not so sure anymore. I'm wondering if it's worth getting the summer tires as opposed to the standard all-season tires. I live in San Jose, CA, so don't have to worry about snow or anything like that, but I know the life on summer tires is generally shorter. Also not to sure as to how summer tires handle in wet conditions? Would I need to worry about switching tires during the Winter season?

Those 19's do look pretty good though...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do what I do - just driver "slower" in the rain and enjoy the summer tires! The sports suspension makes a modest difference as well, at least it did on my B6 A4. I didn't opt for the sport package on the A5 Cab because I knew i would change the wheels/tires and install coilovers.

Last edited by cabriolow; 03-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Do what I do - just driver "slower" in the rain and enjoy the summer tires! The sports suspension makes a modest difference as well, at least it did on my B6 A4. I didn't opt for the sport package because I knew i would change the wheels/tires and install coilovers.
Cool, thanks. I'm assuming the "modest difference" is a difference for the better? Firmer handling and ride?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly
Cool, thanks. I'm assuming the "modest difference" is a difference for the better? Firmer handling and ride?
Exactly
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the scissor rims are GORGEOUS! Get the package and drive slower as the other guy said. I wanted them but I have such terrible roads where I live and know I'd blow out a tire and bend a rim in no time. Those terrible roads are a good reason to keep the suspension softer too. go for it!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 19"

I specifically got rid of my M3 because I was tired of blowing 19"s and having to replace them (I blew 2 in a three month period, including one doing 80 mph on I95 - simply by hitting a pothole). I agree they are gorgeous but I'm over it and frankly am happy with my 17"s.

I'm just about ready to pick up a 2010 2.0T a5. I'm definitely getting the premium plus and nav. I was pretty set on getting the sports package as well, but am not so sure anymore. I'm wondering if it's worth getting the summer tires as opposed to the standard all-season tires. I live in San Jose, CA, so don't have to worry about snow or anything like that, but I know the life on summer tires is generally shorter. Also not to sure as to how summer tires handle in wet conditions? Would I need to worry about switching tires during the Winter season?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I only got the sport package because I wanted the Y rims. What I really wanted was the Y rims and the vented seats. You could only get the Y rims with the sport package. I have never used the paddle shifters so far. I thought about ordering the Y rims separate but that would have added to my costs so I just got the sports package. The summer tires do feel a little slippery in the rain occasionally.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't driven the A5 with the 18s, only the 19s... but in LA, there are lots of A5s around, and I just think the wheel options for the 18s aren't as attractive as the 19" Y-5spokes (which, IMO, are a perfect fit for the car). If you can find some other 18s that look just as good, by all means go for it. But I think the car looks best with the 19" options (either the Y-spoke or the double-5 spokes).

As for drive-ability, I like the stiffer and slightly lower ride the 19s offers. That said, the tires will be expensive and the lower profile means you'll have to watch out for rough roads. So I guess you have to weigh what's important to you.

Last edited by CA-AudiDriver; 03-05-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

At first I thought the Y-spokes looked amazing. Then I decided on the standard 5 spoke on 18s for a more classic look. The 2010 version looks great, even better in person than in the brochure. If I keep the car more than a few years, I think the Y's might start to look dated. It's a personal preference of course. If they offered the sport package with cinnamon seats I might have gone that route.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i got the sports pack
and changed my summer tires to all seasons
best of both worlds

Quick Reply: Sports package for 2010 2.0T a5