Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Spent the day at thunderhill with "Hooked on Driving"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spent the day at thunderhill with "Hooked on Driving"

What a blast! I have to say the S5 is a fun track car, albeit a bit heavy. Tons of power and very predictable. Amazing weight transfer feel and control as long as you don't push it 10.1/10ths.

That said what do I need to do (mod, etc) to turn off the last little bits of stability control? Once I was comfortable with the car (it was my 1st track day with the S5) the electronics were kicking in when I didn't need or want it (turn 2, turn 3, turn 6, turn 15).

Ran tire pressures about 2psi above the spec (41 front and 38 rear). Definitely need to get some street/track brake pads, as initial bite isn't very good. However the brakes did hold up well over the course of each session.

Again tons of fun and can't wait to get out there again, this time perhaps with some street/track pads and maybe DOT tires.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I figured out how to completely turn off the traction control.

As many of you know, just press AND hold the ESP off buttong until it displays ASR off.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure questions..

when you say 41 and 38, is that measured while cold? Seems high.

I found I was smoother when I left all electronics on and tried not to activate them. Also, with all of them off my tires got very hot and the car felt sloppy. to turn them off hold the ESP button on the dash for 5 full seconds until the traction control light stays on.

I'm not familiar with that track.. What was your max speed? What other cars were comparable with you out there?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Also, on the edge of the tread on your tires are little arrows- you want to wear up to that point

during track cornering. If you are not coming close to the arrows let pressure out to allow more tire roll.

Be sure to measure pressure after you come in off the track and see how high they can get. I found my tires would be 8 lbs higher than cold.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Default saw you out there, but never got the chance to talk to you, i was coaching w/ my miata...

beware of your rotors with better pads. Mine are already warped with the stock pads. Your car looked great.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default At NHMS, I started my tire pressures at 33psi. When I came back in they

were about 42-44, which I've found seems to be the best for the S5 (actually my old B6 S4 was the same, except I started the pressures at 35).

The stock brakes didn't cut it for me. They just got too hot, and the brake pedal was very soft. Better brake lines may have helped. Had to replace the front rotors and pads when I got home. The original rotors and pads only had 6500 miles on them.

I'll definitely get better brakes before I go to another track event. Looking at Brembos or Alcon for the front.

The S5 handled way better than the B6 S4. Not as much understeer. Not sure that it was faster.

Turned the ESP and ASR after the first session. This was the first time I had the S5 on the track, so didn't want to wreck it until I was comfortable.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the rotors and pads could be a weakness for tracking. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah the peddle definitly didn't give a lot of feel. Brembos or Alcons would be great additions.

I didn't adjust my presure until after the first session, at which point my tires were already up to temp and in the mid and high 30's. Added a couple psi and was low 40's, high 30's. Seemed to settle the car, although the track could have gripped in a little.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hot pressure. I think over driving the car, in general will make it feel sloppy.

I pushed hard (perhaps too hard) for an entire session and during the last 3 laps the car was a heap of garbage. LOL. Lost brake feel and was driving on jello.

On my last session I was able to push hard and the car stayed under me the entire time, so I don't really think traction control is the difference.

Top speed was a notch above 120 at the end of the start finish straight. Although traction control kept retarding my turn exit onto the straight, so I'm guessing top speed could be a few mph higher.

I was driving with all types of cars in my group. 997 911 TT S, Boxster S, 350Z, spec Miata's, Vette's (C5 and C6 Z06's), M5, Civic (fast as hell), and a few others.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you attend any Quattro Club track events? Going to the track any time soon?

Quick Reply: Spent the day at thunderhill with "Hooked on Driving"