Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

SI: TRANSMISION SWAP, diesel, CVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SI: TRANSMISION SWAP, diesel, CVT

Hi I have a question, I have a 8 sped multitronic or tiptronic transmission not sure witch one but the problem is I heard bad things about this transmission and am exericing probelms with it the general question is is it worth swaping to the 7 speed s tronic becouse i wanted to tune my car and the tuner said he doesn't want to do more because the transmission could handel more than the 190 hp that it has so the other question is it even possible to swap

and thanks in advance for any help

Edit: or maybe if its better if I swap the clutch or whatever these auto transmission have so it could handle more power

Last edited by Emerald007; 02-26-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

You should post the year and model of your car. You can find the engine and transmission code on the sticker in the spare tire well in the trunk and it should also be on the inside front cover of the owners manual. By posting these you can get some much better ideas. Not sure if yours is a CVT, 8HP, or DSG until you post the transmission code but sounds like it's most likely a 8HP ZF which can definitely handle more power.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Soo the car is an a5 sportback 06/15 with 2.0 tdi engine the engine code CSUA and the transmision code is NYM and thhere is also one transmision code that is A8M not sure witch one is right so i put both.....and if im alreadihere sometims no mather if the car is cold when i want to drive from a standstil the engine reves up to 1500- 1700 rpm and then it sudendli like kicks into gear wery hard
Old 02-27-2024, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I see the NDM is the Multitronic (CVT) gearbox for FWD. Hopefully someone knowledgeable in them will add some info. Not sure about their strength overall. Are you hoping to flash the car for more power?
Old 02-27-2024, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Transmission code NYM is the second (third?) gen FWD CVT transmission (Multitronic) type 0AW. Not the first gen 7-speed DCT (DL501) transmission (s-tronic) type 0B5 or the first gen 8-speed ZF (8HP55A) transmission (Tiptronic) type 0BK. The only other FWD transmission in the B8 is the 6-speed manual transmission type 0B1 or type 0B3 (only used with the V6 TDI). In the C7, the 0AW was dumped and replaced by the FWD version of the second gen 7-speed DCT (DL382) transmission (s-tronic), the type 0CK.

There's more than enough material out there about the 0AW. Don't neglect its service requirements. Don't abuse it. It'll still probably give you issues.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
From what I see the NDM is the Multitronic (CVT) gearbox for FWD. Hopefully someone knowledgeable in them will add some info. Not sure about their strength overall. Are you hoping to flash the car for more power?
Im notse sure yet the tuning things i wil leave to the profesionals who know what is the best for the car maybe if replacing some parts for stronger ones
Old 02-27-2024, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Transmission code NYM is the second (third?) gen FWD CVT transmission (Multitronic) type 0AW. Not the first gen 7-speed DCT (DL501) transmission (s-tronic) type 0B5 or the first gen 8-speed ZF (8HP55A) transmission (Tiptronic) type 0BK. The only other FWD transmission in the B8 is the 6-speed manual transmission type 0B1 or type 0B3 (only used with the V6 TDI). In the C7, the 0AW was dumped and replaced by the FWD version of the second gen 7-speed DCT (DL382) transmission (s-tronic), the type 0CK.

There's more than enough material out there about the 0AW. Don't neglect its service requirements. Don't abuse it. It'll still probably give you issues.
now the only issue i need to resolve is the car kicking into gear very hard and im not sure what need fixing....defenetli gona do a service becouse from the papers i got it seams it stil has the original transmision oil and the car is at 170kkm😬😬😬
Old 02-27-2024, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

CVT's gearbox's give a strange feeling in acceleration compared to a conventional automatic. They seem like a rubber band being stretched, engine revs a bit then car starts to go and accelerates and rpms slow the increase as the car starts to accelerate. They are not a performance option for sure but an economy option. Mx on them is important for a long life. Fluid change interval is 55/115/175 kilometers so your car should be getting its 3rd gearbox service and those are really minimum numbers, not to be extended.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

so thst answers rhat questipn what about handeling m9re hp i know i ain't gonna get much more power from and that maybe 20-30 more horsepower shouldn't be a problem from the atock 190
Old 03-02-2024, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello! I failed to find info online regarding the difference between 0AW variations. I need to know if I can replace my NSL gearbox with PCF of LLA. Where can I find this kind of info?

Quick Reply: SI: TRANSMISION SWAP, diesel, CVT