Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Shocks fail at 10,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks fail at 10,000 miles

I have a 2012 S5 Prestige that I purchased new from the dealer Special ordered with Grey Monsoon and Magma Red Interior, fully loaded on 11/1/11. It has 10,450 miles on it. During the 15K service (which as an oil change at the dealer for $447.00) they said my left rear shock is leaking and all 4 tires need to be replaced - all at my cost. I took the car to an independent Pirelli tire shop due to the 45K mile warranty on the tires and they told me that all 4 tires are worn out from cupping from a faulty suspension and that all 4 shocks and tires need to be replaced and Pirelli will not prorate the tires due to the faulty suspension. They told me Audi should cover all of this as they never replace shocks on cars before 50K miles. Audi is refusing to cover any costs. Also the GPS does not give correct directions which has baffled the technicians who are working with Audi Germany to find out why it will not map properly (this is covered) Has anyone else had early shock and/or tire failure and any tips on having Audi pay for this on almost brand new car.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ranacis
I have a 2012 S5 Prestige that I purchased new from the dealer Special ordered with Grey Monsoon and Magma Red Interior, fully loaded on 11/1/11. It has 10,450 miles on it. During the 15K service (which as an oil change at the dealer for $447.00) they said my left rear shock is leaking and all 4 tires need to be replaced - all at my cost. I took the car to an independent Pirelli tire shop due to the 45K mile warranty on the tires and they told me that all 4 tires are worn out from cupping from a faulty suspension and that all 4 shocks and tires need to be replaced and Pirelli will not prorate the tires due to the faulty suspension. They told me Audi should cover all of this as they never replace shocks on cars before 50K miles. Audi is refusing to cover any costs. Also the GPS does not give correct directions which has baffled the technicians who are working with Audi Germany to find out why it will not map properly (this is covered) Has anyone else had early shock and/or tire failure and any tips on having Audi pay for this on almost brand new car.
Damn, I hate to hear that. I would save the time and trouble of "dealing" with the dealership. Get a lawyer. I told them when we bought ours last week that the tires felt like rocks. They said just drive it for a few hundred miles and bring it back if it keeps up. I'm hoping they don't give me the same run around if we have to go back. Where are you located?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by black2011silver
Damn, I hate to hear that. I would save the time and trouble of "dealing" with the dealership. Get a lawyer. I told them when we bought ours last week that the tires felt like rocks. They said just drive it for a few hundred miles and bring it back if it keeps up. I'm hoping they don't give me the same run around if we have to go back. Where are you located?
Im in SF Bay Area, its a family owned dealership and Im hearing from others they do not have the best reputation.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im in SF Bay Area, its a family owned dealership and Im hearing from others they do not have the best reputation.
I am purchasing an Audi in the SF bay area. Could you tell me what dealer you are talking about please?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black2011silver
I told them when we bought ours last week that the tires felt like rocks. They said just drive it for a few hundred miles and bring it back if it keeps up. I'm hoping they don't give me the same run around if we have to go back.
What do mean by "the tires felt like rocks?" Are you talking about the ride being too stiff? Or are you saying that the tires have no grip?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ChipB
What do mean by "the tires felt like rocks?" Are you talking about the ride being too stiff? Or are you saying that the tires have no grip?
I mean, they felt flat spotted. There's a bit of a vibration. It might just be the crappy roads around here in Charlotte, NC.

I could've hurled this morning on my way to work. I had a couple of rocks come off of different trucks and chip the windshield. I can't stand people not cleaning their work trucks. Lazy bastards.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the car is stock and its in warranty then the shocks should be replaced by Audi. This is not a wear part at 10k miles.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sue them. Audi should replace those shocks under warranty.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone else had early shock and/or tire failure and any tips on having Audi pay for this on almost brand new car.
While I would disagree, sitting here in August 2013, that your car is "almost brand new", it does seem that the shocks should be covered. What reason is the dealer giving you for the exclusion?

Have you spoken to Audi USA? I had some concerns over an engine issue early on and they were both responsive and proactive. I wouldn't waste any more time with the dealer...

John
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jzirkel
While I would disagree, sitting here in August 2013, that your car is "almost brand new", it does seem that the shocks should be covered. What reason is the dealer giving you for the exclusion?

Have you spoken to Audi USA? I had some concerns over an engine issue early on and they were both responsive and proactive. I wouldn't waste any more time with the dealer...

John
The Dealership is located in the city of San Francisco, they told me the shocks have a 12,000 mile 1 year warranty only, so they are out of warranty. I have called them back regarding the GPS and was told they will deal with it when the shock issue is resolved. I was told again a service manager would need to approve any repair and they have not had the opportunity to get speak to him. This has now gone on for a week of no response and I have to call them as they do not call me back.

Quick Reply: Shocks fail at 10,000 miles