Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 window problem

I used to own an Audi S5. Bought it brand new and it was delivered in March 2009.
Loved the car but there was one problem that was extremely annoying.
On cold frosty mornings the window would be iced shut and you need the window to drop slightly to open the door.
This would mean having to force the door open but then I couldn't close the door because the window was still frozen and wouldn't clear the trim on the bodywork of the car.
I took to Audi to get it looked at but the problem was never cured.
This is just a helpful post for anyone with a similar problem.
I sold the car and moved on.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Annoying yes but easily solved.

Originally Posted by frenchie_pm
I used to own an Audi S5. Bought it brand new and it was delivered in March 2009.
Loved the car but there was one problem that was extremely annoying.
On cold frosty mornings the window would be iced shut and you need the window to drop slightly to open the door.
This would mean having to force the door open but then I couldn't close the door because the window was still frozen and wouldn't clear the trim on the bodywork of the car.
I took to Audi to get it looked at but the problem was never cured.
This is just a helpful post for anyone with a similar problem.
I sold the car and moved on.
You don't really need the window to drop down to open the door but you do need it to drop down to close it. As others on this forum have stated, I keep an old voided ID card in the car or wallet and simply slide it along the glass and rubber strip to break the ice blockage. Works every time and in the four winters I've owned the A5, I've had to do this probably no more than a dozen times. And/or coat the rubber with a waterproof lube and it's fine. I doubt if this is a dealer correctible issue.
Annoying when it's 20 degrees and blowing snow but not a reason to get rid of the car.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar problem when I leave the car outside. My solution: When I parked it for the night, I sprayed a product I picked up at autozone that prevents ice from sticking to the glass or body (Spray it top, bottom, sides). The ice will still accumulate but you can easy wipe/scrape it off and free up the glass to move as needed. sometimes it'll come off with a simple swipe of the finger.

Of course, this product works great on front and back windscreen, as thats its primary use.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You need the window to drop slightly to clear the bodywork in order to open the door as well as close the door. It was an annoying problem that happened as soon as the temperature dropped below freezing. I took the car in and they replaced the window motors but it continued to happen.
I then used an anti freeze but it would take up to 10 minutes to get the door open. This would occur even at -1 temperatures.
I moved on and bought a BMW X6 but now I'm the proud owner of an RS5.