Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 vs C63 AMG thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 vs C63 AMG thoughts?

I know these aren't as much direct competitors as the M3/RS4/C63. However, if the S5 is priced at $55k base & everything we hear from dealers is true (options will easily bring $60k), that's making me think about the $3k more the C63's 451hp & 443lb-ft of torque would run me. Not a bad premium for that kind of performance.

Certainly the two are styled very differently; Audi with the smooth, classy, yet powerful look and the C63 with the all-out "I eat babies" look. While the S5 looks better IMO, it's not to say I don't like the C63's look...more a matter of preference. The C63 is definitely better than the M3's boy-racer look.

No idea yet what comes on that $63k for the C63, but most AMGs are really well equipped at base (think this was true of the C55). Typically the main option for AMGs is LSD, which I could go without. The C63's auto will rev. match on the downshifts and I love the ESP "I'm really off" OFF. Main dislike about the AMG is the interior (MB navs look like a microwave).

Is anyone else considering these two? Anyone previously owned an AMG and have other thoughts?<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg/">http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg/</a</li></ul>
Old 09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: S5 vs C63 AMG thoughts?

If only $3K more gets you the C63? I'd pick it in a heart beat because of the power difference. But I doubt that there will be too many folks cross shopping between a larger 2-door coupe and a smaller 4 door sedan. But hey, the S5 has been compared to everything else, why not the C63?

I agree with you about the interior. MB has gone downhill bigtime with the new C's interior. I saw the interior and it was slightly below or equal to Honda Accord quality imo. It was a C350 I saw and I'm hoping that the seats were the leatherette and not the leather because I could see the stitching threads holding the material together on the sides of the seats! It looked super cheap! The AMG models always gets better seats and other pieces but no matter what they do, the interior will not look like the interior of a $60,000 car.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Elder Member

AMGs only come in auto/paddle-shifty = yuck.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not an issue for me.

With traffic and the fact either car will also serve as a daily driver I plan on getting an auto either way. At least the AMG gearbox will blip the throttle and rev match on the downshifts...no telling how the S5's Tip will be better than the S4's, but at the moment it sounds like it's a battle the AMG wins.

If either car was a primary play-thing/track car, I'd certainly agree with you.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Visually, I don't think there's much comparison.

The only view of the car I like is the front view which looks very aggressive. The side view doesn't work for me, and the rear just looks unbelievably boring on a car of its ilk. The interior just based on appearance doesn't look too bad. It reminds me of a G35/37 interior, but that may just be due to the popup nav. The interior quality might be what makes or breaks that. I don't think it's even in the ball park of the A5/S5 interior, but in mind not a lot of cars are. The extra power is nice, I wonder how it will compare in handling.

Is there a coupe version of that? Would probably look nicer with 2 doors if you don't just need 4. Certainly worth a comparison if the price of the S5 ends up pushing into that range and the styling suits you.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The one thing I don't like about the styling...

is the rear fenders aren't as large as the front. While it may emphasize there's something big in the front, it still looks uneven. That said, I don't dislike the exterior...just like the S5 more. I would have to de-badge that ugly 6.3 AMG on the sides.

You won't see a 2 door version of the C...that's the 6 figure CLK63 AMG Black. Thinking lot of current AMG owners will be pretty disappointed the C63 will be $63k given it has the engine (though slightly detuned) from a $130k car. Think aftermarket tuning could easily get it back up to its proper 500hp rating.

The magazine reviews have been very positive and suprising in the handling department. Big points on the ESP OFF and the handling in general. Granted it doesn't have quattro, so if AWD is desired you're a SOL.

Side thought though - all this emphasizes how great of a price/styling deal the A5 will be. Beats the pants off the 335i and even most of these $60k cars.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i'd be surprised if you could get a decently optioned C63 came in less than 70k

but I do think its a good deal, as that engine is fantastic. It's clearly more of a direct competitor to the RS4, though their production schedules won't overlap much as the B7 RS4 is bound to be discontinued in the coming months.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This looks to be the best C class since the first 190E. However

I'm probably damning it with faint praise as the previous generation had lousy proportions.

Looks OK, not stunning like the S5.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even care for the front. Reminds me of a Dodge Dakota... far too squared off IMO
Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM
RS7

Default Maybe try Both

I havn't been in a C63 so I can't comment on the interior, but honestly in the S5 the quality, was on par with a Bently Continental GT or Aston Martin; with the design being I dare say better, to me (equal to the Aston Martins).

Quality etc was better than most Maseratis I've been in, better than the Gransport however up to the Quatroporttes level.

I consider the interior extreamly important, but everyone has varying degrees of emphasis on the different parts of a car. Perhaps the C63 is faster than an S5, but after seeing the photoes and hearing what people have said about its interior etc I wouldn't be getting one.

If I just took the car to the track it would probably be really good, but if I get a car I would want to be able to use it everyday with comfort and ease and from what I've seen with the S5 you can. You could even go shopping with it and easily fit supplies for an entire family in the boot, which is huge, not to say that the Mercedes is small, but again I havn't seen one.

Your best bet is to try them both out, decide what matters the most and then get whichever one makes you feel best. If a car isn't giving you that special feeling each time you look at it and get inside, then its not worth having no matter what it is, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: S5 vs C63 AMG thoughts?