Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 or M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove them both

Both are great cars. Both had a ride noticeably more comfortable than expected. Both had punch to spare and both had a great exhaust note (I like the S5 a bit better there). Both handle better with better feel than my B7S4 (which I love).

I am honestly not sure. Not much difference on the price (lease or amortized out over a few years). The S5 is either stick or tip. The M3 is stick or DriveLogic, BMW's new 7 speed dual clutch setup. That is not available for a test drive yet, but I have read great things about it. Time will tell with some seat time once that is available (May or June).

In PA, both are going out at sticker. M3s are more available then S5s. My issues are AWD vs RWD and service. BMW more fun, Audi more practical particularly with rain and snow.

I'm 43, so I guess the "old man" thing for the S5 fits me. The M3 feels a little boy racer, but I like it- maybe I am just recapturing my youth- even though I drove old POS cars when I was 20. I personally think you are less likely to kill yourself in an Audi as a young driver (go ahead, flame me if you feel the need).

I had a Phantom S5 on order - an order I had to cancel for personal issues that will hopefully be resolved soon. With resolution of those, I need to then decide which it is going to be.

BMW also has all inclusive service, not a small issue as I just had to put brakes on my s4 at my cost and when I needed them on my Z4 a few years ago, BMW covered it. S4 brakes are not cheap. The new S5 has no service included. Also, the service at my local Audi dealer is not what it was and the process of getting a rental (their cost) for loaner is a royal PIA and my car comes back dirty with the wheel bolts not torqued but slammed on with an impact gun and fluids spilled in the engine compartment resulting in the car smoking and smelling like a junker for a few days while the spilled oil and antifreeze burn off. Sloppy. Oh, yeah, and no one bedded the new brakes, which I discovered driving down the hill from the dealer. Again, sloppy sloppy sloppy. Two and a half years of complaints have fallen on deaf ears.

The local BMW dealer sets the standard for service and all of the repairs I had on my Z4 years ago.

For service and fun, it is BMW. For practicality and all weather compatibility and a better interior, it is Audi. The BMW sunroof opens and the Audi tilts only (as an old man, I care not about the carbon fiber thing). I have not made up my mind yet and even though different cars they do appeal to the same customer group.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default whichever one has the shortest take off run, kid

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autounleashed.com/5-dead-in-bmw-m5-crash-in-florida">http://www.autounleashed.com/5-dead-in-bmw-m5-crash-in-florida</a</li></ul>
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm 16, and I just had my Dad get me a Veyron.

Sorry about your luck, peasant.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tell your dad 911 turbo or NOTHING!

why not get both?
AudiWorld Super User

lol
Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

get a festiva, put gt3 seats and a roll cage in it. track monster!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Well what about it Screech? It's not like Lisa is going to care one way or the other.

Oh, and you sure you checked with Mr. Belding for a good parking spot?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default very logical and fair assessment

I haven't actually driven an M3 but am quite familiar with the other 3 series models.

For me the performance of both cars is far beyond sufficient for everyday driving and it comes down to styling preferences. My S5 is 3 weeks old now and I'm in heaven. It's the perfect car for me, but yeah not everybody.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the difference between the M3 and the S5 is a hell of a lot more than marginal

The 335i bests the S5 around a track, though I would take an S5 anyday. However the M3 is in a completely different league than the S5. GO drive it and you will see..

Quick Reply: S5 or M3