Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 hesitation issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 hesitation issue?

I love my 2012 S5 Prestige I bought used a few months ago. Lots of advances in the 4 years since I got the A5!!
One issue that's come up is a perceived hesitation and drop in RPM's in the shifting between 1-2 and 2-3 under normal/easy accelaration. It's almost like the engine is "gasping" a little or the old turbo lag before it catches its breath and off we go. If I switch to Dynamic on the ADS, this doesn't happen, but it sure is sluggish under normal conditions. 18,000 miles.
Any ideas? I'm putting a can of the Audi fuel additive in on my next fill-up but I also may be headed to the dealer.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tpt13
I love my 2012 S5 Prestige I bought used a few months ago. Lots of advances in the 4 years since I got the A5!!
One issue that's come up is a perceived hesitation and drop in RPM's in the shifting between 1-2 and 2-3 under normal/easy accelaration. It's almost like the engine is "gasping" a little or the old turbo lag before it catches its breath and off we go. If I switch to Dynamic on the ADS, this doesn't happen, but it sure is sluggish under normal conditions. 18,000 miles.
Any ideas? I'm putting a can of the Audi fuel additive in on my next fill-up but I also may be headed to the dealer.
My 2012 S5 did that too...I solved the problem by getting a 2013 RS5.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you be more specific about the drop off in RPM's? Are you talking 1000 or 500? I have experienced this on occasion and believe it has everything to do with user error. Try not lifting off the throttle as much or at all and see what that gets you besides whiplash. Seriously, try letting someone else drive it who drives stick and might have a slightly different style. If they have the same issue then I would say you have eliminated yourself from the cause and could go to the dealer a little more assured that this is a mechanical issue of some sort. Do not believe you have the drive by wire so not sure what it could be if not you.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely need a little more info. Maybe even a video showing the tach. It's hard to grasp what exactly your trying to explain.

Might also want to try a throttle body adaption and see if it helps.

Turn the ignition on (don't start the car) and hold the gas pedal down for 30-45 seconds. Then start the car.

See if this helps.

Jason
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Can you be more specific about the drop off in RPM's? Are you talking 1000 or 500? I have experienced this on occasion and believe it has everything to do with user error. Try not lifting off the throttle as much or at all and see what that gets you besides whiplash. Seriously, try letting someone else drive it who drives stick and might have a slightly different style. If they have the same issue then I would say you have eliminated yourself from the cause and could go to the dealer a little more assured that this is a mechanical issue of some sort. Do not believe you have the drive by wire so not sure what it could be if not you.
Sorry my sig wasn't more specific. My car isn't a manual transmission so driving style won't identify the problem. I'm talking about normal "from a stoplight" acceleration where the car definitely hesitates and the rpm's drop by 500 or so while shifting between 1-2 and 2-3. And I'm not varying the pedal pressure at all. Doesn't happen under heavier acceleration or when set to dynamic.

Last edited by tpt13; 05-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tpt13
Sorry my sig wasn't more specific. My car isn't a manual transmission so driving style won't identify the problem. I'm talking about normal "from a stoplight" acceleration where the car definitely hesitates and the rpm's drop by 1,000 or so while shifting between 1-2 and 2-3. And I'm not varying the pedal pressure at all. Doesn't happen under heavier acceleration or when set to dynamic.
Then I would look at the torque converter on your automatic tranny. Either way, I would agree that if you are experiencing this with an automatic I would be going to the service dept right away. My guess is that whatever the dynamic mode is affecting on the tranny is probably where the problem is as well since you are not experiencing it while in dynamic mode. Don't know what that is, but assume the dynamic does something with the tranny so I would look at that too.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Then I would look at the torque converter on your automatic tranny. Either way, I would agree that if you are experiencing this with an automatic I would be going to the service dept right away. My guess is that whatever the dynamic mode is affecting on the tranny is probably where the problem is as well since you are not experiencing it while in dynamic mode. Don't know what that is, but assume the dynamic does something with the tranny so I would look at that too.
Thanks for the tip. Now we'll see what Mr. Dealer has to say
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing manufactures are doing to help save wear on the auto trans is it will completely release the throttle, shift, then back on. So the transmission has no load on it through gear changes, thus much less wear and probably how they are trying to squeeze the "lifetime" out of the transmission fluid. I would think they override it with the dynamic mode as its taking away from the sportiness of it all.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
One thing manufactures are doing to help save wear on the auto trans is it will completely release the throttle, shift, then back on. So the transmission has no load on it through gear changes, thus much less wear and probably how they are trying to squeeze the "lifetime" out of the transmission fluid. I would think they override it with the dynamic mode as its taking away from the sportiness of it all.
This is exactly why I like manual transmissions. My shifts are made when I want them and how I want them.

Wait until the Obama fuel economomy standards tighten further-- we'll have all sorts of "I know best how to shift" from STronic programmers.

Ugh!!!