Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Versus S5 Pricing Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 Versus S5 Pricing Clarification

I'm reading with interest many of the posts relating to the views of people on the S5 versus RS5. What I have noticed many times is the comment that the RS5 is $20-30K more than an S5. This pricing difference is BS and not based on apples to apples specs.

WHile the base diff is $18K, comparably equipped the S5 prestige with the rear diff, and adapative damping, makes the MSRP around $62K. The RS5 at $69K plus the MMI puts you at $72K or a difference of $10K and nowhere this bogus $20-30K number.

FWIW.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, while there have been posted stating a $20k-30k delta, agreed, when equipped to a level of a RS5, the true delta would be closer to $13-14k. However not reflected in your numbers is real-world buy price. Typically an RS5 is sold at MSRP. In some cases above that number. While a S5 can be purchased at $500-800 above invoice. Available incentives would apply for both. Therefore the true delta would be $18-19k (if not more).
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nahhh, Wrong! You can get a $4000-$5000 discount on the S5, since there's 2-3 S5s on the lot and the dealers are more willing to negotiate it. Since most dealers will only get 1 allocation for an RS5 per year, then you won't be able to negotiate for it. Don't forget, the tax bill on the RS5 will be higher. And wait till your insurance company gives you the insurance bill, and wait till the government tells you what the property tax is for an RS5. You think $72K ???? Are you kidding .. put on sales taxes, destination charges, other dealer chargers, admin. fee, audicare and you're hitting $76K - $77K for a basic RS5. Add Alu-Optic trims, carbon fiber, etc. and you're hitting $78k-$80K. Got my S5 $59K with everything on it (sales taxes included).

Originally Posted by everettpa1
I'm reading with interest many of the posts relating to the views of people on the S5 versus RS5. What I have noticed many times is the comment that the RS5 is $20-30K more than an S5. This pricing difference is BS and not based on apples to apples specs.

WHile the base diff is $18K, comparably equipped the S5 prestige with the rear diff, and adapative damping, makes the MSRP around $62K. The RS5 at $69K plus the MMI puts you at $72K or a difference of $10K and nowhere this bogus $20-30K number.

FWIW.

Last edited by ayap; 01-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

True.

So, lets agree on a 20k difference if it is apples to apples with every other misc. cost added (tax, destination, guzzler tax which there aren't any..., freight & PDI, etc.)

So, the question is whether the 20k is worth it for the upgrade to the RS5.

So, here are the differences:
1- RS5 exclusivity versus S5's more common spottings. I have yet to see an RS5 in my city for the last 10 weeks. Scott Keogh, the head of NA Audi said in an interview there will be only 1,500 produced for the NA market for the next 2 years (well, 2012 to end of 2013). in my market, it is 19 RS5 for a population of 3 to 4 million souls. I have seen about 3 or 4, 2013 S5s.
2- RS5 4.2 V8 450hp versus S5's supercharged V6, 330+ hp
3- RS5's high revving 8500rpm redline engine versus S5's supercharged engine
4- RS5's above 2,500rpm high torque factor versus S5's low-end below 2,500 high torque
5- RS5's motorized rear spoiler (it's fun to use!) versus S5's "non-spoiler"
6- RS5's wave brakes/calipers, first in the word on a car, borrowed from Audi's recent Ducati comapny purchase, versus S5's regular brakes. And trust me, the RS5's brakes are very, very powerful and stops your car really well and quick. I compared it to my 2012 A6's brakes. With the power the RS5 has, you need the wave brakes to stop itself.
7- RS5's V8 growl. You won't get that from a S5. From other posts, I think I remember the S5 has a "sound box" inside to control sound or to make sound like the sound box found in the BMW M5. If that is the case, then the S5 has "fake" or "filtered" sound. The RS5 is the real high-revving, vroom vroom deal.

So, the difference in price is 20k. For me, the S5 was not in contention at all if you put a price tag on each of the improvement in the 7 factors listed previously. So, each improvement would be worth about 2.4k more than the S5. It is worth it based on the reasons previously mentioned.

Or, you can buy a S5 and mod it, if you are into it, to equal the perforamce of the RS5. You can even mod it to include the motorized spoiler and change the grille, etc. etc. But, it is still an S5.

Originally Posted by ayap
Nahhh, Wrong! You can get a $4000-$5000 discount on the S5, since there's 2-3 S5s on the lot and the dealers are more willing to negotiate it. Since most dealers will only get 1 allocation for an RS5 per year, then you won't be able to negotiate for it. Don't forget, the tax bill on the RS5 will be higher. And wait till your insurance company gives you the insurance bill, and wait till the government tells you what the property tax is for an RS5. You think $72K ???? Are you kidding .. put on sales taxes, destination charges, other dealer chargers, admin. fee, audicare and you're hitting $76K - $77K for a basic RS5. Add Alu-Optic trims, carbon fiber, etc. and you're hitting $78k-$80K. Got my S5 $59K with everything on it (sales taxes included).
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

It's an RS, that's really all that matters.

The Audi lineup is a very clean and clear lineup. A vs. S vs. RS. Each one targeting a different audience. The A is for those who don't care about performance. S for those who want an everyday performance car and the RS for those who want an everyday race car. RS stands for Rennsport (motor racing in English)

Either you want an S or an RS. If you want an RS, but can't afford it, you need to shop a car brand that matches your budget.

You can play the price diff game with BMW or Mercedes, who both offer their pedestrian models with a choice of 2-3 engines and drivetrains, but again you go M or AMG for a reason.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid
True.

So, lets agree on a 20k difference if it is apples to apples with every other misc. cost added (tax, destination, guzzler tax which there aren't any..., freight & PDI, etc.)

So, the question is whether the 20k is worth it for the upgrade to the RS5.

So, here are the differences:
1- RS5 exclusivity versus S5's more common spottings. I have yet to see an RS5 in my city for the last 10 weeks. Scott Keogh, the head of NA Audi said in an interview there will be only 1,500 produced for the NA market for the next 2 years (well, 2012 to end of 2013). in my market, it is 19 RS5 for a population of 3 to 4 million souls. I have seen about 3 or 4, 2013 S5s.
2- RS5 4.2 V8 450hp versus S5's supercharged V6, 330+ hp
3- RS5's high revving 8500rpm redline engine versus S5's supercharged engine
4- RS5's above 2,500rpm high torque factor versus S5's low-end below 2,500 high torque
5- RS5's motorized rear spoiler (it's fun to use!) versus S5's "non-spoiler"
6- RS5's wave brakes/calipers, first in the word on a car, borrowed from Audi's recent Ducati comapny purchase, versus S5's regular brakes. And trust me, the RS5's brakes are very, very powerful and stops your car really well and quick. I compared it to my 2012 A6's brakes. With the power the RS5 has, you need the wave brakes to stop itself.
7- RS5's V8 growl. You won't get that from a S5. From other posts, I think I remember the S5 has a "sound box" inside to control sound or to make sound like the sound box found in the BMW M5. If that is the case, then the S5 has "fake" or "filtered" sound. The RS5 is the real high-revving, vroom vroom deal.

So, the difference in price is 20k. For me, the S5 was not in contention at all if you put a price tag on each of the improvement in the 7 factors listed previously. So, each improvement would be worth about 2.4k more than the S5. It is worth it based on the reasons previously mentioned.

Or, you can buy a S5 and mod it, if you are into it, to equal the perforamce of the RS5. You can even mod it to include the motorized spoiler and change the grille, etc. etc. But, it is still an S5.

IMO, the question is how is the owner going to use the car. If just for daily commuting along with masses of hybrids, SUV's, etc the S5 would be the better choice. This is taken into consideration performance, fuel economy and comfort as well as cost of ownership.

For performance, keeping at a factory tune, no doubt the RS5 is the better choice. Exclusive and while the S5 is stunning, when side by side to an RS5 it does look somewhat vanilla.

There will always be a group that prefer a NA vs. FI engine, low-end torque vs. high-end power, reasonable cost for upgrades vs. higher cost with better potential for overall power. It's just good that there are options. Both the S5 and RS5 are great vehicles. However buying exclusivity comes at a price of paying MSRP. For some, that's okay and acceptable.

To the statement that after the mods it's still an S5, true. But it's still a great car. Your points are valid in-terms of the engine soundtrack being artificially created in the M5, S5 (3.0T) and some of the new Porsche vehicles. Unfortunately, I suspect this trend will continue as engine displacement goes down and FI is added.

FWIW, I was going to order a S5 but for a few reasons (engine and exhaust sound, DSG programming, etc), I decided against it. The RS5 would be my preferred choice but limited availability and my staunch believe for not paying MSRP prohibits this from happening. Onto plan B.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
This is bull other than you have more wiggle room to negotiate an S5 versus and RS5. I think you have a $10K MSRP difference and then maybe a $3K difference in negotiating. The other costs are very small differences.

The differential is not nearly as high as some have reported, that is all I'm saying. Whether the attributes of the RS versus the S justify the difference is up to each buyer.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

RS5 S-tronic is quite different as well. It will hold the gear in manual mode and bump off the rev limiter without upshifting. That is different than the other Audi S models.

Also, the insurance is quite reasonable. I will check next week when I'm back at home, but I don't think it's much more than most cars.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by mstams
RS5 S-tronic is quite different as well. It will hold the gear in manual mode and bump off the rev limiter without upshifting. That is different than the other Audi S models.
Correct and it shifts faster, too. On the 2013 model Quattro Gmbh tweaked the hydrolics so it shifts even faster than the original RS5. This is the first transmission that makes me looking forward to not having a MT anymore.

At the end of the day, the RS5 is a tuned S5 that still comes with a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty. One can mod an S5 to get it closer to an RS5, but at what cost? Just getting the S-tronic to the level of the RS5 for example. Is that even possible without replacing the transmission completely. In any way, say goodbye to your warranty.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams

Also, the insurance is quite reasonable. I will check next week when I'm back at home, but I don't think it's much more than most cars.
Here are some (my) real world insurance numbers-six month premiums (identical coverages):
2010 A4 Avant: $640
2011 S4: $508
2013 RS5: $601

Quick Reply: RS5 Versus S5 Pricing Clarification