Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Rain-x

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain-x

So why does Rain-x make the wipers chatter? I have other cars w/ bosch frameless wipers and they don't chatter, but if you spray the windshield withe washer fluid it stops (for a few swipes anyway)
Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I googled this- this is a common issue.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rain-x is a terrible product, i've hand washed it off after every time i have used it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiper blades needs water to glide smoothly against the glass. Rain-X application makes water slide off the windshield thus less water is available which results in the wipers chattering. Windshield fluid is a cleaner and will cling onto the windshield better than water and due to its soapy property, acts as lubricant until it is wiped off by the wiper.

I have been and still uses Rain-X on all of my cars, except for the windshields, to avoid chattering of the wipers. I do find it to help in improving visibility by keeping water beading and gliding off the glass, especially on the rear glasses.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Wiper blades needs water to glide smoothly against the glass. Rain-X application makes water slide off the windshield thus less water is available which results in the wipers chattering. Windshield fluid is a cleaner and will cling onto the windshield better than water and due to its soapy property, acts as lubricant until it is wiped off by the wiper.

I have been and still uses Rain-X on all of my cars, except for the windshields, to avoid chattering of the wipers. I do find it to help in improving visibility by keeping water beading and gliding off the glass, especially on the rear glasses.
Its just funny I just found the manual saying not to use the this kind of stuff on the windshield because of this. It just sucks because I like not having to use the wipers in the rain, but when I do they just blast the droplets all over the place. I thought maybe the framless wipers weren't getting enough down air pressure with the slope of the window since I don't have a problem at all with chatter on our Acura or the M3. Go figure.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

The windshield wipers in heavy rain don't move fast enough to get all the water off the windshield.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

never heard of that. I hand wash my car once a week, Rain-x my windshield twice a year, and never have a problem.

Are you applying it twice- once until a haze appears, reapply, then wipe off with a damp paper towel? that's my method, and works great every time.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i find it funny that in the manual they say not to use it on windshields, but in every commercial they make using it involves a windshield.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Rain-X in when it came out looong time ago and it did its job although it would wear off after a couple of car-washes. I now tend to wash my car with the highest laser wash available since I can't possibly take my car to a rail-wash due to the low clearance of the vehicle, highest wash applies wax at the end of the cycle and on next rain and above 60mph water will slide off my windshield on its own so there is not need for rain-x anymore.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
I used Rain-X in when it came out looong time ago and it did its job although it would wear off after a couple of car-washes. I now tend to wash my car with the highest laser wash available since I can't possibly take my car to a rail-wash due to the low clearance of the vehicle, highest wash applies wax at the end of the cycle and on next rain and above 60mph water will slide off my windshield on its own so there is not need for rain-x anymore.
so you go to a car wash that puts wax all over the vehicle? lights, windshield, grille, wheels..? sounds terrible for your car.. nothing is better then hand washing, but i guess since you dont have a Audi then its ok to use car washes.

Quick Reply: Rain-x