Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Question about Nav and Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about Nav and Aux input

So if I get a 2009 A5 with Nav, it appears I don't get an Aux input jack (or an SD slot). Instead I get an iPod interface cable in the glove box. Do I have that correct?

If so, is there no way to connect a non-iPod device to the stereo system? I understand I can pay for a different cable with a different connector to use in the glove box, but that would still mean that I would have to leave the glove box open to operate it and it would hardly be convenient (or safe) to mess with it from across the car. Is there a way to run a cable from the connection point out of the glove box and over to the center console to rig something up?

I have a non-iPod MP3 player and a portable Sirius radio that I would like to use, but it seems there is no good way to connect them to the stereo. Am I missing something? Finding a 2009 A5 without Nav (or AMI) is pretty difficult, so I hope there is something that I am missing.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One sirius satellite radio is standard so why clutter up the car.
Two they do make different cables and you should be able to somewhat interface with it via the car's controls depending on what it is.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Cross-posting from the A4 forum)

Yes, there is no Aux jack with Nav. It's because you get the Audi Music Interface which lets you attach an iPod, a USB hard disk, an SD card (if you attach an SD card reader), or a Bluetooth A2DP adapter. It's actually quite versatile and MUCH better than an Aux jack as you can control your music from the MMI and instrument cluster. (Not to mention you will get better sound quality).

FYI on the 3G MMI in the 2010 model you get 2 SD (actually SDHC) slots in the dash, ~10gig of hard disk space to store digital music, as well as the AMI. So you certainly don't need an iPod to play digital music. You can always just copy your MP3s from your computer to an SD card or hard disk (or potentially burn an MP3 DVD too), and them store them in the MMI.

Also a second Sirius radio subscription on your account is $8 per month, and it is far better to use the integrated Sirius receiver as you can control it from the dash instead of having to fiddle with your Starmate (or whatever other radio you have). And again you will get better sound quality if you use the integrated receiver (not to mention a stronger satellite signal). I agree with A0fC - why clutter your dash and get a worse experience when you can use the integrated Sirius?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an SD card and paid $65 (Audi parts) for a USB cord that plugs into the SD reader (bought for $20 at Best Buy) that connects in the glove box in a similar manner to the iPod - all folder and song data is displayed and controled from the MMI screen.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is actually wiring in place from the non-existent AUX jack into the dash on the models with AMI?

I am in a similar situation where I use a non-iPod device to listen to long podcasts, and want to be able to pause/stop it and continue listening at home or work without losing my place. I have the right cable for the AMI, but leaving the glovebox open while driving is turning out to be a nuisance.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
One sirius satellite radio is standard so why clutter up the car.
It's not ideal, but I like the portability of my existing Sirius receiver, and it has features that the in-car unit doesn't have - features that I use a lot. Plus, I'd rather not pay for another subscription. Yes, the sound quality will suffer somewhat, but Sirius sound quality is no great shakes anyway.

Two they do make different cables and you should be able to somewhat interface with it via the car's controls depending on what it is.
Thanks, as that confirms what I thought I'd read. Is there any way to route a cable from the connector out of the glove box, or is it pretty much sealed up tight? I'm not that concerned about controlling the device through the MMI, just getting a connection that allows the device to stay in the armrest console. As Bunky said, I'd rather not have to reach over to the glove box to use my MP3 player.

I can't imagine removing the Aux input saved any real money, so I don't know why they did it. If the wiring is still there that would be great.