Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Price question - ready to order A5 2T

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price question - ready to order A5 2T

What can I expect from the dealer as far as price? I am going to order the A5 2T Manual - Prestige trim w/Driver Assist and the upgraded leather.

Looks like invoice (incl destination)is $43791 - msrp $47025

What would you expect to pay?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

$1000 over invoice
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you think if I am ordering - and I don't mine fly and drive, that I could find a dealer to simply 'place an order' @ invoice? Does the dealer get anything from Audi or is invoice 'cost'?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hwks1
Do you think if I am ordering - and I don't mine fly and drive, that I could find a dealer to simply 'place an order' @ invoice? Does the dealer get anything from Audi or is invoice 'cost'?
This isn't a Chevy dealership where Chevy is trying to drop 100 cars on a dealer in hopes they can move them at any price. An Audi dealer has an allocation of cars each month. If they sell their limited allocation for no profit they are screwed. Audi isn't trying to sell a million cars, they are trying to sell a limited amount at a profit.

I have checked about 25 Audi dealers through America for inventory. The average seems to be 5 A5's per dealer which is nothing.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
This isn't a Chevy dealership where Chevy is trying to drop 100 cars on a dealer in hopes they can move them at any price...
I get that... althought my particular dealer isn't any better experience then the local 'Chevy' lot

I would pay sticker if thats what the market dictates so it's less about the $$ then it is about understanding the marketplace.

My logic is if I go out of my market and the dealer is just typing an order into the computer for a customer they would never get otherwise.... would they sell it at invoice - is there still profit in it for them?

I've read that Audi doesn't have holdback but then others claim to get invoice or lower with Audi Care thrown in... so what the what?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get that... althought my particular dealer isn't any better experience then the local 'Chevy' lot

I would pay sticker if thats what the market dictates so it's less about the $$ then it is about understanding the marketplace.

My logic is if I go out of my market and the dealer is just typing an order into the computer for a customer they would never get otherwise.... would they sell it at invoice - is there still profit in it for them?

I've read that Audi doesn't have holdback but then others claim to get invoice or lower with Audi Care thrown in... so what the what?
Why do you think some remote dealer is doing less work than your local dealer? They are both keying in information.

The remote dealer still has to prep the car. Where is the big cost savings you anticipate?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why do you think some remote dealer is doing less work than your local dealer?...
Well for one thing they don't have any carrying cost for the vehicle and they wouldn't sell this vehicle at all - since I would not otherwise even be a customer.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well for one thing they don't have any carrying cost for the vehicle and they wouldn't sell this vehicle at all - since I would not otherwise even be a customer.
Even if the carrying cost is $150, they would still make more money selling $1000 over invoice, less the carrying cost rather than at cost and the carrying cost.

If I'm the dealer I want to use my limited allocation on local people that might bring repeat business and service work.

Last edited by Omeletpants; 01-17-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the exact same car that you are going to order.
MSRP is $47500 (incl dest charge)
Invoice is $44234

We offer dealer $45299 and they took the offer (which make me think I can do a little better...well).

We also got lucky, they just change one of the A5 on their order so the wait was not too bad. Place the order on 10/23/09 and took delivery on 12/14/09..

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

What carrying costs are there when you order a car? You order a car, it shows up and you pick it up a day later. What is there to carry?...
Exactly - now your tracking with me The dealer has no overhead cost in the vehicle.

Sure they sell all that they 'order' - but they wouldn't have this opportunity to 'order' this vehicle because I am not in thier market (hypothetical) area.

Quick Reply: Price question - ready to order A5 2T