Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

pre-owned v8 s5 or new v6 s5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Do drive them both...but be forewarned...when you step into the '13 S5 and see the flat bottom steering wheel, the sweet looking shift ****, piano black trim and feel that quick early torque and smooth as silk 7 speed s-tronic with launch control...it'll put a big grin on you.

And that's not mentioning the latest MMI/Nav with Google earth and Wi-fi hot spot if you get it with those bells and whistles.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yobi1
Hey,
I've been visiting this forum over the last couple of months as my interest for Audi has grown. I am in the market for a new car, with the S5 being a top contender. I currently have an 08 IS 350 that I bought new. I've always had Japanese cars but would like to venture into the German realm. I'm 28, not married or with kids. I would consider myself to be an enthusiast and I do enjoy spirited driving within reasonable limits. With that said, I was hoping you all could provide me insight as to which S5 I should go with. Like I said, this will be my first Audi, let alone German car.

My dilemma is this: should I get a pre-owned S5 (2009-2011), same some money, add wheels, and maybe some suspensions/engine upgrades OR should I go with a 2013 s5?

What is the general consensus among S5 enthusiasts about the V8 vs the 2013 v6? Also, is there an S5 production year that I should stay away from? What is GREAT mileage for a pre-owned Audi, 2010/2011 (less than 20K? 30K?)?

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated
What did you decide?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Yes. Do drive them both...but be forewarned...when you step into the '13 S5 and see the flat bottom steering wheel, the sweet looking shift ****, piano black trim and feel that quick early torque and smooth as silk 7 speed s-tronic with launch control...it'll put a big grin on you.
But once you step outside and look at the face-smashed Mazda-esque front end, the grin will instantly disappear There's a '13 S5 that parks next to me in the underground garage in my building. Every time I see my car next to it, I'm reminded of the saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The updated front end was part of my decision when I chose the 2013. I've had people walk up and ask me what kind of car it is, followed by a comment about how beautiful it is. None have asked me if it is a Mazda :-)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

V8 no question. A big, heavy GT car with a V6 offers zero appeal to me. Stock for stock, they offer the same performance but you lose so much character with the ****ty-sounding V6 engine/exhaust. Tune it, drop it, mod it all you want but the V6 S5 is never going to be a sports car. It's a GT, it's always going to be a GT and it's a much better match with a brawny V8.

Said it before, I'll say it again, the V8 S5 is a poor man's V8 Vantage. I would never want that car with a V6 and I don't want an S5 with a V6.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
But once you step outside and look at the face-smashed Mazda-esque front end, the grin will instantly disappear There's a '13 S5 that parks next to me in the underground garage in my building. Every time I see my car next to it, I'm reminded of the saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".
You always have such wonderful things to say. Thank You. This will be my last reply to you. You are a troll as others mention.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tadhgbrosnan
V8 no question. A big, heavy GT car with a V6 offers zero appeal to me. Stock for stock, they offer the same performance but you lose so much character with the ****ty-sounding V6 engine/exhaust. Tune it, drop it, mod it all you want but the V6 S5 is never going to be a sports car. It's a GT, it's always going to be a GT and it's a much better match with a brawny V8.

Said it before, I'll say it again, the V8 S5 is a poor man's V8 Vantage. I would never want that car with a V6 and I don't want an S5 with a V6.
To each their own I guess. When the S5 came out I drove one and came away very disappointed with the v8. Drove the S4 when it came out with the v6 and was sold instantly. I suggest the op drive both him(her)self.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's funny, having driven a 2.7T for years i had 0 interest in another turbo engine on a daily driver.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure I will say anything new that wasn't covered already but thought I would add to the chorus. I was exactly where you were. Test drove a new S5 (2013) and walked away totally unimpressed. Not because of speed or the kewl new head-lights but simply wasn't engaged in the ride. The V6 is too good?? So, I went with a CPO 2011 S5, completely loaded, with less than 9500 miles on the odo. Could not be happier. I feel special driving 30 mph. That V8 makes noises that only a car geek could love. Well, I think everyone likes the sound actually. But, that is what it came down to in the end. Give me visceral vs. refinement. That V6 is one great engine. You can tune it to make some serious hp. I love the Estoril Blue color they are offering now too. Beautiful. BUT, oh that V8... I won't win drag races and I won't cross the finish line first at the track but I don't care. I will be grinning like a little kid. Seriously, all I want for christmas is a bitchin' new exhaust so I can make more beautiful noises!

You cannot and will not go wrong with either choice. Don't think about it anymore. Just do.

Oh, and drive it like you stole it!

Enjoy.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Not sure I will say anything new that wasn't covered already but thought I would add to the chorus. I was exactly where you were. Test drove a new S5 (2013) and walked away totally unimpressed. Not because of speed or the kewl new head-lights but simply wasn't engaged in the ride. The V6 is too good?? So, I went with a CPO 2011 S5, completely loaded, with less than 9500 miles on the odo. Could not be happier. I feel special driving 30 mph. That V8 makes noises that only a car geek could love. Well, I think everyone likes the sound actually. But, that is what it came down to in the end. Give me visceral vs. refinement. That V6 is one great engine. You can tune it to make some serious hp. I love the Estoril Blue color they are offering now too. Beautiful. BUT, oh that V8... I won't win drag races and I won't cross the finish line first at the track but I don't care. I will be grinning like a little kid. Seriously, all I want for christmas is a bitchin' new exhaust so I can make more beautiful noises!

You cannot and will not go wrong with either choice. Don't think about it anymore. Just do.

Oh, and drive it like you stole it!

Enjoy.
Very well said. I had the exact same feeling. I love the V8 and i dont regret it for a second.

Quick Reply: pre-owned v8 s5 or new v6 s5?