Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Paint Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Seal

I usually think these types of protective sealers are a rip-off, but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this product. Super Polysteel. I just had my 2010 A5 in for its 3,000 mile service and I asked again about that product. It's for interior/exterior. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are a few categories of paint "protection". On a basic level this refers to the ability of a product to protect the painted surface (clear coat and paint in our case) from external elements like UV rays, airborne contaminants, water based minerals, etc. The coating you're asking about is most likely the last of these three. I'll try to explain each to give you a bit more perspective.

1. Wax – A protective coating usually made with natural carnauba wax from leaves of a Brazillian "Copernicia Prunifera" palm. Does a very good job at protecting the paint and provides a deep and generally warm reflective shine. Because this is a natural based product though, it wears off relatively quickly and will have to be re-applied about every month to keep the best protection. Ex./ Pinnacle Souveran, P21S, Mother's CA Gold.

2. Sealant – A protective coating made from a completely synthetic blend of polymers that provides longer-lasting paint protection and shine. These typically give off a more crisp and sterile shine when compared to the deep warm glow of carnauba. Sealants when applied properly will last from 3-6 months on average with very good protection. Most sealants are compatible with "layering" or applying a wax on top for extra protection and warmer shine. Ex./ Klasse, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, Meg's NXT

3. Nano-Coatings - A protective coating with synthetic blends of polymers, acrylics, ceramic, and/or resins. Most are relatively new products in the detailing marketplace. These coatings should be applied by a professional because they BOND directly to the paint surface. For this reason, it is also important that the surface be clean and polished of all defects like scratches and swirls. If you don't want to wax your car often or at all, then this may be a good option because it offers the most protection. Ex./ Opti-Coat 2.0, cQuartz

Here are a few links to information about the products:
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-50ml-kit.html

For the record, I'm not a pro I'm just a tad OCD about keeping my A5 perfectly clean. I've tried several waxes and sealants and I like Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze the best. I had considered one of the Nano coatings but I enjoy detailing too much. My regimen is two bucket wash every weekend, 2 coats Klasse SG every 3-4 weeks, and full polish every 6 months. Car looks better than perfect... and she's Brilliant Black.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! Yes it is a nano sealer product. And from what else I've seen, I guess it does a good job. Mine too is black, with a linen beige interior so I am concerned about exterior fade, and interior dirt. I too am a little OCD, but it sounds like you may have me beat.