Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New tires for S5 cabriolet-recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires for S5 cabriolet-recommendations

Have just hit 20k miles and almost ready for new tires.
Live in Southern California so no snow, just some rain in winter and pretty awful drivers on the freeway.
Any recommendations?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin Super Sports. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's.

I have the Dunlap Sport Maxx's which I like and seem to be wearing well (15k now and look like they will get another 15k?)

What are you running now.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the Dunlop SP Sportmaxx as OEM from factory on my previous S5. Were ok, but then I replaced them with Vredesteijn Ultrac Vorti and these ware even better: less aquaplanning, less noise, better steering/handling, more comfort, etc (see review on tirereview.co.uk).

On my current car I have Pirelli P Zero, also good in handling, but more noise. when these have to be renewed, I consider the Ultrac Vorti again.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running Michelin pilot sport A/S plus 2 on my S5 coupe and LOVE them. Michelin just came out with the A/S 3's. I would give them a try. I am a big fan of Michelin!!!! I run them on all my vehicles. Stay away from the Conti DWS they are junk.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cal Taff
Have just hit 20k miles and almost ready for new tires.
Live in Southern California so no snow, just some rain in winter and pretty awful drivers on the freeway.
Any recommendations?

Have the dunlop SP sportmax that the car came with
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cal Taff
Have the dunlop SP sportmax that the car came with
I have the 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 from my 2014 S5, only 20 miles on them, not sure if you are interested.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Continental DW's are great if you want a VERY long lasting tire that is great in the rain and dry. Very quiet. It's not a road racing tire but a great touring tire and that's what our S5's are know for. If you want to spend triple and the Michelin Sport3 is a very good tire. I have these on my 2013 S5. I had the DW's on my 2011. When I replace these depending on how many miles I get I will probably go back to the DW's.. They make a DW and a DWS. The DWS is all season.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wreck111
Continental DW's are great if you want a VERY long lasting tire that is great in the rain and dry. Very quiet. It's not a road racing tire but a great touring tire and that's what our S5's are know for. If you want to spend triple and the Michelin Sport3 is a very good tire. I have these on my 2013 S5. I had the DW's on my 2011. When I replace these depending on how many miles I get I will probably go back to the DW's.. They make a DW and a DWS. The DWS is all season.
I have Continental DWS on my 05' Allroad, I also saw the post where someone does not recommend them. Having driven my AR for a couple of years on the DWS's I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it is a quiet ride and due to a soft sidewall will remove some chatter. Conversely, due to the soft sidewall you will realize a decrease in turn-in and general "feel" for what is going on. Although i love the tire on my AR I don't think I would put the same tire on my S5.

Since you live in SoCal I would be looking at summer rubber and be thoughtful of my driving on the two or three days of the year that it rains. Go to Tire Rack and look at the reviews they have for tires. Very good resource.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

In Ca I would go with the DW tires. These are completely different than the DWS.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
I have Continental DWS on my 05' Allroad, I also saw the post where someone does not recommend them. Having driven my AR for a couple of years on the DWS's I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it is a quiet ride and due to a soft sidewall will remove some chatter. Conversely, due to the soft sidewall you will realize a decrease in turn-in and general "feel" for what is going on. Although i love the tire on my AR I don't think I would put the same tire on my S5.

Since you live in SoCal I would be looking at summer rubber and be thoughtful of my driving on the two or three days of the year that it rains. Go to Tire Rack and look at the reviews they have for tires. Very good resource.
I agree 100%. Save the DWS for Buicks

Quick Reply: New tires for S5 cabriolet-recommendations