Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New light weight S5 on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New light weight S5 on the way?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/08/t...e-less-weight/

just found the above article. I hope they're not serious about cutting 800lbs + 2 cylinders from the current S5. If they ever do, I'm going back to BMW. I think they should start putting things like trunk and door closing assist on all Audi like in some BMW instead of wasting time cutting TOO MUCH weight from our cars. 200-300lbs is okay but 800lbs is too much. I don't want to get toss back and forward on the highway.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Expect to see similar programs from other manufacturers. Or like the article mentions more electric cars. But even then you still need a light weight shell due to battery weight. Current global legislation is steering manufacturers away from big, thirsty engines.
I know smaller forced induction engines can be just as thirsty when driven hard. Wave of the future and blah blah.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is basically a test mule, it it not intended to be a production model.

I am also a bit puzzled about your statement about losing too much weight. You do realize that weight reduction benefits all aspects of performance right?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

just found the above article. I hope they're not serious about cutting 800lbs + 2 cylinders from the current S5.
audi confirmed it is moving the S5 to a V6 in a couple of years and that the future changes will be making the car much lighter. The article seems to be repeating that.

I think they should start putting things like trunk and door closing assist on all Audi like in some BMW instead of wasting time cutting TOO MUCH weight from our cars.
Thats only useful for fat and lazy people. It could make a useful option for the disabled though. Given the choice of lower weight or that, lower weight makes more sense.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, with 800lbs cut, the S5 will weight well below 3000lbs. I'm sure by that time, the luxury drive will be long gone and we will get throwing left and right on the highway due to crosswind. And the by the time winter comes, things get even worse. I don't think performance is the top priority for most ppl driving Audi, at least for me.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDoom
audi confirmed it is moving the S5 to a V6 in a couple of years and that the future changes will be making the car much lighter. The article seems to be repeating that.

Thats only useful for fat and lazy people. It could make a useful option for the disabled though. Given the choice of lower weight or that, lower weight makes more sense.
My fault. The article said this testmule is running on a 4 cylinders engine @230hp.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"Simplify and add lightness"

- Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus Cars

Making a car lighter (and we hope, stronger) makes everything about it, from a performance, handling, and fuel efficiency standpoint, better.

If Audi could actually reduce the weight of the S5 by 880 lbs. while maintaining the inherent luxury, style, and (perhaps increasing) performance I'd say I'd have a hard time staying away from one!

Of course, the Cayman weighs about 800 lbs. less than the S5 already... :-)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Until now, we have not gone over any basic law of physics, everything is still based on the weight/size ratio. Cayman is a much smaller car compared to any car out there and that's why you survive those crosswind on the highway. Imagining yourself driving a S5 just as light but much larger in size. The car will get pushed to left and right by the wind. I would admire them much if they design something new to cut down the gas consumption. Cutting the weight to make a car faster + more energy sufficient aren't that hard, even my 5 yrs old cousin knows that.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDoom

Why buy a luxury car at all then, half of the features are for lazy people. That's why it's called luxury. I'm with the other guy, i like trunk assist close, etc ...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by acadia
Why buy a luxury car at all then, half of the features are for lazy people. That's why it's called luxury. I'm with the other guy, i like trunk assist close, etc ...
I found this trunk assist thing pretty funny.

Just the other night I stumbled upon a TOP GEAR episode where one chap is showing off his trunk close assist and the other chap remarks, with perfect comedic timing "Fabulous idea, because I have always had a tremendous amount of trouble doing this..........."(and he simply closes his trunk with his hand)

Sometimes too much is too much. But that is just me.

Quick Reply: New light weight S5 on the way?