Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need input - '11 S5 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input - '11 S5 Convertible

Hi guys,

I currently own a '13 Q5 2.0T and I'm looking at buying a used S5 convertible. I've located a one owner 2011 S5 convertible with 35K selling for $36K. It's not a CPO. It comes with B&O and Nav.

First - I've researched the board and haven't noticed any major issues with the 3.0T engine. Should I be wary of buying a used S5 without any additional warranty? Would you buy a car sight unseen?

Second - This would be a long distance purchase, should I be concerned that the price is lower than the market? Also, should I question why it hasn't been CPO? I checked the carfax and it showed no major issues. I'm aware that carfax is highly inaccurate.

What should I negotiate for? It's priced several thousand less than comparable S5's.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do yourself a favor and have it inspected either by a body shop or Audi dealer where the car is located. Audi dealer would be able to tell you the service history as well. I bought a BMW 335 convertible and contacted the Choo Choo chapter (car in Chattanooga)of the BMW car club and the president of the local BMW car club went and looked it over for me.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tell us where it is and someone may go check it out for you. I bought mine several hundred miles away but had PPI done at dealer and had the dealer send me service records. Seller sent me 20 plus high res pics and I asked for specific shots of high wear areas such as drivers seat bolster...

I also searched the sellers posts....

I tried buying a boat long distance and was shocked when the real thing was no where near as pristine as the high res pics looked. Long drive home.....

Fwiw, after almost two years I LOVE this car.....coming from 2 e46 M3s

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
Hi guys,

I currently own a '13 Q5 2.0T and I'm looking at buying a used S5 convertible. I've located a one owner 2011 S5 convertible with 35K selling for $36K. It's not a CPO. It comes with B&O and Nav.

First - I've researched the board and haven't noticed any major issues with the 3.0T engine. Should I be wary of buying a used S5 without any additional warranty? Would you buy a car sight unseen?

Second - This would be a long distance purchase, should I be concerned that the price is lower than the market? Also, should I question why it hasn't been CPO? I checked the carfax and it showed no major issues. I'm aware that carfax is highly inaccurate.

What should I negotiate for? It's priced several thousand less than comparable S5's.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default S5 audi vert

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
Hi guys,

Go to audizine and look at my 2011 s5 w/prestige w/11000.I say audizine as that is were i have pics of the car. You won't be disappointed.Or send me ur E-mail address and I will send them.This car is perfect.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also see if the car has full ADS or Sports Differential, IMO, this the Sports Differential is a worth while and important feature. It changes the car's driving dynamics completely. And like the others had said, do a proper PPI will go a long way considering that this is a private sale and not a CPO vehicle.