Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need help with wire color identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with wire color identification

I have a brown 3 pin connector on the front left of motor with a black connector next to it. I think it's a knock sensor. It comes out from the pretty red plastic wire loom for the coil pack connectors. It's a shielded cable with black orange and violet wires. The wires got pulled out of the connector and I don't know their positions in the connector. Also does that whole shielded cable have to be replaced or can I just replace the black wire which looks like it's burnt. I traced it back to the computer and it still has continuity. I bought a month of alldata but I can't find those three wires on their diagrams.

Thank you
Steve
Old 04-26-2024, 11:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the wires got pulled out of the connector, you'll need to identify which wire goes to which pin in the connector. Sometimes, connectors are labeled with numbers or letters that correspond to specific pins. If not, you might need to consult the vehicle's wiring diagram to determine the correct pinout for the connector. Since you mentioned you have access to Alldata, utilize the wiring diagrams provided. These diagrams should outline the wiring for various components in your vehicle, including the knock sensor. While it's not uncommon for certain details to be challenging to find in such diagrams, thorough examination and possibly cross-referencing with other diagrams might reveal the information you need.

You mentioned that the black wire looks burnt but still has continuity when traced back to the computer. While continuity is a good sign, it's essential to ensure the wire isn't damaged internally. Check for any signs of damage along the length of the wire, and if possible, perform a more thorough continuity test to verify the integrity of the wire. If the wire is indeed damaged, it's best to replace it. In some cases, you might be able to splice in a new section of wire rather than replacing the entire cable, especially if only one wire is affected. However, if the entire cable is damaged or compromised, it's advisable to replace it entirely to ensure reliability.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,620 Posts

On the front left of what motor? What model year is this vehicle? What is this engine? If it's a 2.0T, does the white sticker on the front say CAE or CPM?

Picture of this brown connector device location?

Really can't random guess at what it might be with no information of what the engine or vehicle is.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

2009 Audi S5 4.2l. I looked over the diagrams again and I guess I had looked at it with the wrong 👁️. It is to a knock sensor. I replaced part of of it and wrapped the three wires in aluminum foil then wiring harness tape. The problem is still there though. It starts but immediately shuts off. I have another thread about that problem.
By the way, thank for the responses.
I removed the whole front of the car to change leaking oil cooler o rings. Replaced belt, tensioner and idler. Also water pump. I did a carbon clean, valley pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket. Replaced the injector connectors. Replaced intake manifold because the center flaps were toast. Replace coils and plugs.. replaced broken coil connectors.
I'm at a loss as to what would make it do this. Has this happened to anyone else? Does any of you live close to Kernersville NC? I really need help.
Thanks in advance 🙏
Old 04-27-2024, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's a caua 2009 S5 base coupe. Automatic. I found it and replaced the wire. Still starts but shuts down immediately.