Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Nav updates/fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav updates/fixes?

Are any updates for Navigation released incrementally (fixes)?

I'm experiencing a few issues with the Nav on a 2010 where it doesn't seem to be aware of certain highway exits. In particular some exits inside the DC beltway on 66. I'm not sure if this is a Nav information issue or screwy routing issue. Most every GPS I've used seems clueless about highways inside/through DC, always recommending 14th street or New York Ave. Not a very big issue since I generally know the best way, but it would be nice if it knew the best routes and could then route on traffic conditions.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hef311
Are any updates for Navigation released incrementally (fixes)?

I'm experiencing a few issues with the Nav on a 2010 where it doesn't seem to be aware of certain highway exits. In particular some exits inside the DC beltway on 66. I'm not sure if this is a Nav information issue or screwy routing issue. Most every GPS I've used seems clueless about highways inside/through DC, always recommending 14th street or New York Ave. Not a very big issue since I generally know the best way, but it would be nice if it knew the best routes and could then route on traffic conditions.
With respect to the surface streets in DC, it's probably not an issue but an issue of how those streets are classified in the system and how routing is done based on that classification -- those streets are probably classified as primary arterials, so the nav system assumes they will be generally faster than other streets. Unless Sirius has live traffic conditions for those streets, the system can't take traffic into account.

Even though many systems (especially Garmins) are getting better, in the end nav systems can only do so much on city streets in a place like DC or NYC. They will never beat the knowledge of an experienced driver who knows shortcuts, and until live traffic is available on almost every street the routing logic will be far from perfect.

The live traffic guidance is more oriented to highway driving where there are fewer potential routes and where most routes are covered with Sirius traffic info.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottacus
With respect to the surface streets in DC, it's probably not an issue but an issue of how those streets are classified in the system and how routing is done based on that classification -- those streets are probably classified as primary arterials, so the nav system assumes they will be generally faster than other streets. Unless Sirius has live traffic conditions for those streets, the system can't take traffic into account.

Even though many systems (especially Garmins) are getting better, in the end nav systems can only do so much on city streets in a place like DC or NYC. They will never beat the knowledge of an experienced driver who knows shortcuts, and until live traffic is available on almost every street the routing logic will be far from perfect.

The live traffic guidance is more oriented to highway driving where there are fewer potential routes and where most routes are covered with Sirius traffic info.
There is a new NAV map out.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...thAmerica-Site
Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
Apparently this map is only for 2008-2009 models.