Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

More tire questions for new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More tire questions for new purchase

We are about to put the money down for a 2013 S5. My unresolved issue is the tires. Most of the S5's in stock have either the 19" or 20" wheel option with summer tires. I liked the dry pavement performance during test drive, but as my wife will drive this car most of the time, ultimate performance is less of a priority (yeah, I know, why not get the A5 then? Well, I get to drive it on weekends!). I have learned a lot from rbirk's recent Winter Tire thread. However, in ATL, we might get an inch or two of snow every 2 or 3 years, so I'm unsure if it's really worth buying a full set of winter wheels and tires for that rare contingency (not to mention finding some place to store them!). On the other hand, I worry about frequent references to poor summer tire performance under 40° temps, which we certainly get regularly through the winter. Wet weather performance is also a priority as we have wet winters. And, there's the occasional desire to take a winter drive up into the Georgia or Tennessee mountains, where snow might be an issue. Again, a rare event.

So is there any other solution? In particular, are there any "all weather" tire options that won't totally emasculate the S5's warm weather performance and yet still give us safe traction in cold and rarely snowy weather? Or should I just suck it up, buy the winters, and rent storage space?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider this - run the summer tires on the stock wheels for the time of year when you are sure temps won't go below freezing - perhaps mid-March through early December. And buy a set of wheels with all-season tires for December - March. It's true that winter tires are much, nuch better than all-seasons for driving in the snow, but since you won't be driving in the snow much at all the all-seasons may be a good compromise.

The advantage of having a separate set of wheels is you can make the change over at your convenience.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Options:

1. Extra set of rims with all season (Chip B's excellent suggestion)

2. Enjoy the summer tires and when worn out replace with all season

3. Ask the dealer to replace the summer tires with all season tires

4. Use another car to go to the mountains and in ice storms
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Continental DWS for year round with excellent wear and great in snow or DW by continental without the snow rating but excellent otherwise. Cheap and will last forever. See WWW.tirerack.com
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my S5 Cab and have used them on my last 5 audi's year round here in Chicago where we get quite a bit more then a few inches. It gives great performance in the rain,snow and still is very good in dry weather.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Get yourself a set of Conti DWS's and call it good.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks to all for very helpful responses. Chip, I agree that two sets is the optimal approach, though I'm still stressing over where to store four tires. Will definitely take KarlF's suggestion and see if dealer willing to do a swap. And particular thanks for the specific tire reccs for the DWS and Pilots. Great forum, far and away the most active I could find when looking for an Audi place to post. Look forward to participating more after we actually get the car.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may be able to find a local shop, either independent or dealer that will store your off-season tires for a small annual fee. That fee may or may not include swapping the tires in the fall and the spring. We have many local shops that provide this service, but none of the local Audi dealers currently do.

Ask around/call around, if none exist today, one of your local shops may become entrepreneurial after hearing your question...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would seriously consider just using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus year round. They really do have very good performance in all weather conditions.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smokeybreeze
You may be able to find a local shop, either independent or dealer that will store your off-season tires for a small annual fee. That fee may or may not include swapping the tires in the fall and the spring. We have many local shops that provide this service, but none of the local Audi dealers currently do.

Ask around/call around, if none exist today, one of your local shops may become entrepreneurial after hearing your question...
Not sure I would swap low profile tires (dismount and mount) every season. Could damage the tires and the wheels. The cost of a second set of wheels would be offset by twice yearly mounting and balancing charges.

Quick Reply: More tire questions for new purchase