Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Manager at my dealerhip compares R8 V10 vs. A3 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manager at my dealerhip compares R8 V10 vs. A3 TDI

Just had an oil change and had a chance to talk to the manager. He said he just test drove an R8 V10 for an entire day both on the public road and then on the race track.

He said "in stop and go traffic, the R8 is not much different from the A3". On the race track, "the difference is night and day".

In conclusion, he said "If all you do is drive in traffic, get the A3 and don't bother with the R8 - just save that $140,000 difference". Lastly he said, he used up the 'full tank' of gas in one day.

What an amazing revelation!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
Just had an oil change and had a chance to talk to the manager. He said he just test drove an R8 V10 for an entire day both on the public road and then on the race track.

He said "in stop and go traffic, the R8 is not much different from the A3". On the race track, "the difference is night and day".

In conclusion, he said "If all you do is drive in traffic, get the A3 and don't bother with the R8 - just save that $140,000 difference". Lastly he said, he used up the 'full tank' of gas in one day.

What an amazing revelation!
You must ask yourself this question, do you really need a R8 V10 or can you get by with a Metro bus pass ?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

That manager should be selling 'appliance' cars like Honda Civics. The looks and sound of the R8 alone would make stop and go driving exciting, not to mention the gawking and envious looks you would recieve while waiting at a stop light.

The manager appears to be part Consumer Reports writer, Ralph Nader, and a monk who needs the bare essentials of life.

In reality, the manager probably wanted to sell you an A3 to go with your other Audi. What an ***
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
That manager should be selling 'appliance' cars like Honda Civics. The looks and sound of the R8 alone would make stop and go driving exciting, not to mention the gawking and envious looks you would recieve while waiting at a stop light.

The manager appears to be part Consumer Reports writer, Ralph Nader, and a monk who needs the bare essentials of life.

In reality, the manager probably wanted to sell you an A3 to go with your other Audi. What an ***
Heheh.. This is the second thread I've seen of a manager comparing an "Audi X to an Audi Y". I just assumed it was going to be a new running line of jokes.

What's next.. "Manager at my dealership compares his *** to a hole in the ground"

result: "He couldn't tell the difference"
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bilbo47
Heheh.. This is the second thread I've seen of a manager comparing an "Audi X to an Audi Y". I just assumed it was going to be a new running line of jokes.
I am not 100% certain but I think the OP is just making a lighthearted poke at one particular member here, whom for whatever reason, appears to be very insecure about his purhcase (V8 S5). There appears to be a need to constantly justify and rationalize his purchase with various not-so-objective threads comparing the S5 to the RS5, or the V8 to the 3.0T etc.

We all know that he is happy with his car, which is great, to have such passion for one's car. But it can get a little old and tiresome when the forum is being bombarded regularly with threads like that.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans

Search "Ayap"
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ We don't need people poking fun at others, especially when we're all smitten with Audis.

And it is rational to justify why you bought a less expensive car. I am one of the guys who cannot justify the extra cost of the RS5-- and I have the V8. The V6 with a new chip and the RS5 grille (steep $1000 on ebay) is a value close-to-an-RS5 car.

luv ya all
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

HAHAHAHA touche. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monza is a troll who has a very slow and very cheap A3. Can't blame him for being very envious of me, that he has to follow my lead everytime. Bhwahahaha .. Get a Life Monza. This is one of the most pathetic thread I've ever seen by a troll.

Last edited by ayap; 11-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Monza is a troll who has a very slow and very cheap A3. Can't blame him for being very envious of me, that he has to follow my lead everytime. Bhwahahaha .. Get a Life Monza. This is one of the most pathetic thread I've ever seen by a troll.
I spoke to the same manager again today (this time, I was at the dealership for a blinker fluid change). He told me that he just drove a 2012 S5 V8 for the entire day both on the public road and then on the race track.

He said that there is no significant difference between the S5 and 1987 Plymouth Sundance when driving in reverse. In conclusion, he said that if all you want to do is drive in reverse, don't bother with the S5 and just save that $50,000 difference.

Lastly, he said that he used up 3/4 of a tank of gas in one day.

Quick Reply: Manager at my dealerhip compares R8 V10 vs. A3 TDI