Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How well will the A5 design age?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coupe shape is timeless and beautiful, but, honestly, the Audi "corporate grill" has yet to grow on me and I don't see that changing. It looks better in some designs than others but remains a dubious constant in Audi's output in the last few years.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Just to add more fuel to the fire, I think exclusivity plays an important role in design appeal over a period of time too. We're talking about relatively low production vehicles, so spotting another A5/S5 is relatively rare. This favors the design retaining its appeal longer, since the novelty won't wear off as soon as something you see everyday. If the S5 was produced in the same numbers as a Toyota Camry, would everyone still feel the same way about it? (What if it was a Toyota and not an Audi, would its design appeal somehow diminish?) Only a few high-production vehicles are regarded as pinnacles of excellent design regardless of time period, such as the VW Beetle. It's a good thing the A5/S5 won't have to overcome that kind of ubiquity.

Just in case someone suspects otherwise, I really do like the A5/S5 design. A lot. I agree with Mike and Hobbes, a lot of German cars age more gracefully than their domestic or Japanese counterparts. I think much of this has to do with German manufacturers' adherance to generally conservative, evolutionary design progression, while one could argue that the Japanese abandon one design gimmick for another (details that easily date their generation) and pay less homage to tradition, heritage, and a model or marque's lineage. But some of these companies are still young and have yet to define themselves in the way Benz or Porsche has done over 60+ years.

I think the A5 design is going to hold up very well over time. Much better than the A4, but maybe not as timeless as the TT.
Very good points re: exclusivity and German vs. Japanese design. With that said, I do think the Lexus SC300/400 design has aged extraordinarily well over the years and is (IMO) still attractive. Exclusivity and the fact that there were not a lot of gimmicks used in the design might have very well contributed to this. Classic coupe proportions don't go out of style, and the A5 has them.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Very good points re: exclusivity and German vs. Japanese design. With that said, I do think the Lexus SC300/400 design has aged extraordinarily well over the years and is (IMO) still attractive. Exclusivity and the fact that there were not a lot of gimmicks used in the design might have very well contributed to this. Classic coupe proportions don't go out of style, and the A5 has them.
Yeah, there are other exceptions to my generalizations. Maybe the Miata, 240-370Z, etc. Those have some serious history.

Something else that could play a factor in how well the B8 A5 design "ages" is what Audi decides to do with the next generation A5. Does the A5 line end with this generation (keeping it a one-off, boutique type of automobile like the NSX, etc.), or does it continue on? And if it continues in a redesigned package, does the new A5 design pay homage to the original with evolutionary changes, or is it a radical departure (that might accelerate the aging process)? A lot of things can happen in 10 years.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a black 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo as my daily driver, and still think it is as stylist as when I drove it off the lot nearly 18 years ago. I think the pre-SRT Dodge Vipers turn heads, as well. Good point about the exclusivity adding to the attractiveness value.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
When Walter da'Silva stated the A5 was the most beautiful car he ever designed, there are those who would argue the point - and they may be right. It occurs to me, however, when someone of that stature makes such a statement he may have been hinting at the potential staying power he felt the design has.
Hmmm, interesting view Speedy and I have to agree. Another car that da'Silva designed, the Alfa Romeo 156, was a spectacular design when it arrived. Right now, about 10 years later, It still looks good, although the design lost it's spectacular apeal gradually over the years.
The A5, though finds itself in a growing interest for the car, This is it's 3rd year of sale and it is selling better than last year, amazing!! This car is a design that is going to stay, I could become the e-type of the new era!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Less=More=Audi
Hmmm, interesting view Speedy and I have to agree. Another car that da'Silva designed, the Alfa Romeo 156, was a spectacular design when it arrived. Right now, about 10 years later, It still looks good, although the design lost it's spectacular apeal gradually over the years.
The A5, though finds itself in a growing interest for the car, This is it's 3rd year of sale and it is selling better than last year, amazing!! This car is a design that is going to stay, I could become the e-type of the new era!
Went to my daughters T-ball game the other night and within 20 minutes I had 7 fathers circling the car, asking how much, how fast, how does it handle, can I take them for a spin.

One guys father bought a 911 and he thought the the A5 stood out as being subtle and unique. He also thought he would have a better chance selling his wife on the A5 vs the 911 he was going to take off his father. Other guy had a 3 series and thought that he would gladly sacrifice the HP to have a more unique auto. He took the name of my salesman and called him on his cell right there to discuss trade-in value on his Bimmer. It was a pretty funny scene. The wives were cackling about how their husbands were now going to start pushing for a new car. The car sells itself.

My wife, who had been teasing me about my purchase, suddenly thought I was a very wise man.