Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Help Understanding Damage Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Understanding Damage Problems

I recently had Stasis chip and Exhaust installed on my 2010 A5. This was done by the dealership. However, as it turns out they forgot to put all the pieces back together, most critically, the waterproofing liner around the ECU chamber. The effect was when I took my car through their car wash, the ECU chamber was flooded, which then drained into the cabin of the car leaving several inches of standing water. The flooding of the ECU temporarily shorted it out mucking up my steering.

I guess I'm asking what people think should be done about this? The dealership is currently deflooding, dehumidifying, and cleaning the car, but I'm more worried about longer term effects as well as the inevitable rattles that tend to happen when you take the entire interior of the car apart.

Any thoughts on what I should be demanding be done by the dealership? New ECU, increasing factory warranty and to what degree? What effect is soapy water going to have on my electronics and interior?

This sucks.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had my brand new TT for about 2 months when a dealer in the Bay Area backed it into another car, requiring paintwork. They stonewalled me (just fixed the damage). Same car also sustained damage at another dealer in Newport Beach (dented fender, curbed wheel), and the most I got out of them was fixed damage and a new windshield.

Yours, though, is a little more serious than that. If you own it, I'd congratulate them on their new car, and have them make you a helluva deal on a new one. It's tougher if it's a lease.

I hope you don't have mold problems and recurrent electrical annoyances.

Sucks indeed.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sameu
I recently had Stasis chip and Exhaust installed on my 2010 A5. This was done by the dealership. However, as it turns out they forgot to put all the pieces back together, most critically, the waterproofing liner around the ECU chamber. The effect was when I took my car through their car wash, the ECU chamber was flooded, which then drained into the cabin of the car leaving several inches of standing water. The flooding of the ECU temporarily shorted it out mucking up my steering.

I guess I'm asking what people think should be done about this? The dealership is currently deflooding, dehumidifying, and cleaning the car, but I'm more worried about longer term effects as well as the inevitable rattles that tend to happen when you take the entire interior of the car apart.

Any thoughts on what I should be demanding be done by the dealership? New ECU, increasing factory warranty and to what degree? What effect is soapy water going to have on my electronics and interior?

This sucks.
Hi - How have you liked your Stasis exhasut on your A5? I installed one om my'09 A5 3.2 manual and the interior drone/resonance was so bad I unisntalled it the next day. How has your experieince been?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sameu
New ECU, increasing factory warranty and to what degree? What effect is soapy water going to have on my electronics and interior?
Sorry to hear about what happened. It is always difficult to make an proper assessment, especially when it comes to water damage so I would definetly ask for an extended warranty, up to 8 years/100,000 miles, which I think is the maxium you can get with Audi Pure extended warranty. As for ECU, it would be covered under the warranty so I would not worry about it for now.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Hi - How have you liked your Stasis exhasut on your A5? I installed one om my'09 A5 3.2 manual and the interior drone/resonance was so bad I unisntalled it the next day. How has your experieince been?
When I first got the exhaust there was a mild drone that was annoying. As I came to find out, I believe it might have been caused by the service problems that originated this thread. There was basically a good sized direct opening from the inside of my car to the engine compartment. Once I got everything fixed up and the missing parts installed correctly, the drone all but disappeared. There's still a hint of it in high gears at lower rpms, but nothing that bothers me.