Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Have cash - S5 or S8???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have cash - S5 or S8???

Torn between the 2.

Pros/cons on each - knowing they are differnt animals - with $60K to spare what would you invest in?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Advocate
Torn between the 2.

Pros/cons on each - knowing they are differnt animals - with $60K to spare what would you invest in?
neither of them are an investment... which would i purchase? depends on the application... taking family and or friends with you everywhere you go? then the s8, if you're alone and this is a pleasure vehicle then of course the s5.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want a 4 door or 2 door? Do you want a big car or a medium-size car?

I wouldn't go for the S8, since it looks too bulky for me. If you need a big car, Audi is bringing in the S7 this year. The S7 is sexier than the S8, and you still get about 420HP. The S8 will have 500+ HP, but it's also heavier. Now, the S7 will have the same technologies as the S8.

If you need a nimble high-performance car and you have $100,000 to spend for an S8 but don't really need such a big car, then you might consider the RS5. I would.

If you want to save your cash and still get a performance and sexy car, then the S5 is your answer. It may not have the bells and whistles of the S7. Now, the S5 will probably have a better ride than the RS5, which will have a sportier but stiffer suspension.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't matter what others think. Everyone is different and has different priorities. What's most important to you? Space? Size? Styling? Luxury? Sport? Efficiency? Maturity? Youthfullness? Exclusivity? If you struggle to answer, make a pro and con list for yourself.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I don't understand in your question is you said if you had "$60K to spare". The S8 will be above $100K, so it's not very clear why you would consider that. If you said you had $120K to spare, then the S7 and S8 would be within your budget too.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, he's clearly talking used here.

You can get an 07-08 S8 for well within that 60k budget. You can also buy a used S5 within that $60k number.

With that said, they are completely different cars. I've driven both (and I own an S6). I would be happy owning an S5, S6, or S8. Here's my quick comparison.

S5: Beautiful car, only two doors, depending on your stature this may be more or less difficult for you or your passengers to get in or out of. The two doors are long and on the day I drove it I worried about potentially dinging other cars. If you're thinking about eventually modifying the car, there's more you can do with an S5 (there are multiple supercharger kits for $14k, uninstalled and roughly 600hp with a tune). A5/S5s are really popular. I live in MN and I see a lot of them out here.

S8: Beautiful car. Full size sedan. Easily seats kids and adults in the back seat. All of the nice A8 high-end model luxury appointments. These are much more rarely seen on the road. Likewise, the 5.2L V10 is something you may never see in an Audi again. I love the engine. Lots of low end torque. It's also a sleeper / lots of performance for a big car, looks cool but relatively understated. Other than exhaust and ECU there are no mods for this car.

Whatever you choose, get one with a CPO.

I went for an S6, largely based on my budget at the time and due to finding an awesome, well-priced CPO'ed example at an Audi dealer in Chicago. After owning it for a while, I'm definitely glad I have the CPO (the S6 engine bay is extremely tight which can result in a few "engine out / lifted" repairs that would be prohibitive without coverage). My favorite part about the car is the engine and the sound with a Milltek exhaust.

I think you'd be happy with either an S5 or an S8, but it depends on your application and whether or not you'll have a lot of people other than yourself in the car.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agree but buddy has an A7 already - want to stick with a V8

... and will go pre-owned so someone else takes the depreciation hit!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pre-owned S8's are $60K - S5's are $40-$50K

Let someone else take the hit - I am happy for a 2-3 year old coming off lease.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "investment" is a word I use for my wife :) "

Agree they do not appreciate but its an "investment" in keeping me out of trouble otherwise
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had the same decision to make in Sept 2010

I was faced with similar situation and decided the 2010 S5 was the way to go for me. Even with access to a pristine S8 in our family about to come off of lease, the S5 was better suited for everyday driving to me. However, is just me in the car about 99% of the time.
If you can drive them back to back, it might help feel the size difference. To me, the S5 is a perfect all around car. If I was making frequent highway trips, I would instead take the S8. It is a rolling Ritz Carlton!

Been happy with the S5 for size (trunk is ample), handling (sport differential) and sound definitely a plus. With the AWE touring exhaust on now, it is just the right combination.

Cannot go wrong with either one.

Quick Reply: Have cash - S5 or S8???