Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Do we really believe that Audi can't put a power moonroof into this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we really believe that Audi can't put a power moonroof into this car?

I got my first in-person look at an S5 at the San Francisco Auto Show. As much as I liked the car, the lack of a power-operated sliding moonroof is a deal breaker for me. I looked at the roof line and I simply don't understand why the engineers can't figure out how to do it. After all, even the Porsche 911 has one! Anyone else here feel the same way about this?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not enough room for it unless they decreased the size of the sunroof. They are leaving room

to debut the A5 convertible. That should satisfy the sun worshippers...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Kinda wish they'd offer two sunroof options.

One that is smaller and opens and the one they went with, though I'd bet they wouldn't sell many of the larger versions if they did that. Personally like my opening sunroof, but I don't want a convertible. I expect it'll end up being a minor annoyance that I could get used to.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the m3 has it....

this is also a deal breaker for me and is really disappointing. i don't like verts, but i do require a real sunroof. this and the 6 series bmw are the only two cars in the luxury class that i know of (with 4 or 5 seats) without a real sunroof. they surely have room for it, would just have to be a normal size rather than the jumbo vent that the s5 currently has. the m3 gives you two options--carbon fiber fixed roof or normal opening glass sunroof.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Not true - the roof could be made to slide up and back to the outside of the car

several car mfrs do this.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ya it could be done but... (cheesy IMO - ala old school CRX).

It really has to stay inside the roof on on a car of this level. (IMO of course)
Old 11-26-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They chose not to because it disturbed the lines, aesthetically it looks tacky and I'm sure Silva

didn't want to ruin the beauty he created in his own words. If it could have been and keep it clean looking, I'm sure they would have.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it looks like crap.. I like the big pane of glass.. BTW, White is Right!! IBIS!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't understand how it would be a "deal breaker".

It's such a fantastic design. All a sunroof really adds is some sunshine and wind noise -- for me not the most important factor in the equation of the driving experience. For fresh air open the side windows. I have a sunroof in my S4 and didn't have one in my old TT. Just a nice extra to me but I suppose we all prioritize different things in a car.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Not true - the roof could be made to slide up and back to the outside of the car

They don't do that for a reason. It would rip off at high speed. And as has been said, would look like crap. There's also lights and antennas in the roof of the S5. Hence the shark fin and rear reading lights. There isn't in the porsche.

Quick Reply: Do we really believe that Audi can't put a power moonroof into this car?