Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Dealer scam or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer scam or legit?

I have a '13 S5 cab with 39,700 miles. About every 4k miles the add oil warning light comes on, no big deal the Audi dealer adds oil and I am good to go. Sometimes the light comes on close to a planned oil change as well. So about 3 weeks ago the light comes on (last oil change at 35k miles). I was out of town for spring break then figured I would wait until 40k miles and just get an oil change. Yesterday morning the light turned from yellow to red and the warning said add oil immediately. I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and typically go to Audi North Atlanta but occasionally go to the one in Marietta. I went to the one in Marietta and they kindly added oil as they have done in the past. The SA informed me that I need to do an oil consumption test which makes sense and I told him I would schedule it soon. I drove about 20 miles the rest of the day. This morning the yellow oil warning light comes on and says to add 1 quart of oil. Annoyed by this I called the SA, his response was that my engine is burning a lot of oil and I need to come in for the consumption test. I am calling BS here!! There is no way my car burned a quart of oil in 20 miles! It is more likely that they only added a small amount of oil knowing the light would come back on and I would go back for the test and further fix. I will take my car to Audi North Atlanta in the morning and have them add the appropriate amount of oil, if the light then comes on quickly, I will do the test. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You are aware that you have an onboard oil level display in the MMI, yes? Simple matter of checking the level before and after you see dealer. It is also possible to purchase an actual dipstick to insert in your motor for confirmation.. However, I have a 13 S5 as well with 25k miles and except for half a quart when new, I have never had to add any and it does not burn any.. So it would seem that your motor has some kind of issue . I would have them top it off, check MMI or dipstick for confirmation, drive until light comes on again, check MMI or stick, note mileage and if its only been a few weeks or so, you indeed might need an OCT to have them cover it under warranty which is close to running out..I believe Audi, for some reason accepts oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles as being 'normal' which is a joke but if yours is worse than that, you might get some action..HTH..

Last edited by Hy Octane; 04-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
You are aware that you have an onboard oil level display in the MMI, yes? Simple matter of checking the level before and after you see dealer. It is also possible to purchase an actual dipstick to insert in your motor for confirmation.. However, I have a 13 S5 as well with 25k miles and except for half a quart when new, I have never had to add any and it does not burn any.. So it would seem that your motor has some kind of issue . I would have them top it off, check MMI or dipstick for confirmation, drive until light comes on again, check MMI or stick, note mileage and if its only been a few weeks or so, you indeed might need an OCT to have them cover it under warranty which is close to running out..I believe Audi, for some reason accepts oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles as being 'normal' which is a joke but if yours is worse than that, you might get some action..HTH..

Yes I know about the onboard oil display, I did not think to check it after I left the dealer yesterday as I assumed it was filled to the max level. I have checked the level from time to time and it seems to slowly go down and then at about 4k miles the warning light comes on. I figured 1 quart every 4k miles is annoying but acceptable.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saw1
I have a '13 S5 cab with 39,700 miles. About every 4k miles the add oil warning light comes on, no big deal the Audi dealer adds oil and I am good to go. Sometimes the light comes on close to a planned oil change as well. So about 3 weeks ago the light comes on (last oil change at 35k miles). I was out of town for spring break then figured I would wait until 40k miles and just get an oil change. Yesterday morning the light turned from yellow to red and the warning said add oil immediately. I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and typically go to Audi North Atlanta but occasionally go to the one in Marietta. I went to the one in Marietta and they kindly added oil as they have done in the past. The SA informed me that I need to do an oil consumption test which makes sense and I told him I would schedule it soon. I drove about 20 miles the rest of the day. This morning the yellow oil warning light comes on and says to add 1 quart of oil. Annoyed by this I called the SA, his response was that my engine is burning a lot of oil and I need to come in for the consumption test. I am calling BS here!! There is no way my car burned a quart of oil in 20 miles! It is more likely that they only added a small amount of oil knowing the light would come back on and I would go back for the test and further fix. I will take my car to Audi North Atlanta in the morning and have them add the appropriate amount of oil, if the light then comes on quickly, I will do the test. Sorry for the long post.
I bought my first Audi from Jim Ellis Audi in Marietta and was never impressed with their service so I started going to their other location. I bought my S5 from that Jim Ellis location last year but have started going to Audi North Atlanta as it's closer to home, the new facility is great, and the service is just as good.
I would suspect Audi Marietta was just topping you off in order to get you to come back and spend some real $$.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I bought my first Audi from Jim Ellis Audi in Marietta and was never impressed with their service so I started going to their other location. I bought my S5 from that Jim Ellis location last year but have started going to Audi North Atlanta as it's closer to home, the new facility is great, and the service is just as good.
I would suspect Audi Marietta was just topping you off in order to get you to come back and spend some real $$.
Audi North Atlanta has been pretty good, although they tried to tell me I needed new brakes at the 25k service. I am at 39,700 miles and still on the original brakes. I have an apt with them tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You could have a bad sensor. It happened in my A6. It said low, added a quart and the light came on the next day. The shop put a dip stick in (the engine has a place for one, there is just a plug in it) and found that the level was actually too high. They replaced the sensor, corrected the oil level and it's been problem free ever since.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You could have a bad sensor. It happened in my A6. It said low, added a quart and the light came on the next day. The shop put a dip stick in (the engine has a place for one, there is just a plug in it) and found that the level was actually too high. They replaced the sensor, corrected the oil level and it's been problem free ever since.
I hope that is all it is. I dropped it off this morning and haven't heard anything yet.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

FWIW my 2013 S5 Cab has never required any oil to be added between changes (once a year) and uses no oil between changes--level always shows as full.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On my S4 and S5's...

… I use the dipstick to check the oil so I am not just depending on the digital sensor… I change my own oil on the 5K interval between the Audi !0k service. I always burn at least a quart in 5000 miles.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_...013_2014_2015/
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

as stated above, likely a bad sensor. i suggest you get the trusty dip stick that does not lie or break down );

Quick Reply: Dealer scam or legit?