Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Crunch time--any considering 335i take a look at edmunds insideline test

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm trying to decide between 335i, S5 and M3

335 is the most economical of the three. If the M3 is close to the S5 (around 5k) then I'll get the M3. Resale value alone will make up for the extra cost and the performance should be amazing.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Elder Member

Default If pricing drives your decision, then that makes sense.... to me the 335 is a compromise car

as compared to the S5. Primarily b/c of quattro and b/c BMW interior aesthetics do not compare favorably to Audi's.

I should, however, say that I really want to drive them one after the other to make sure that holds...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Automatic S5 will not be out til well into next year
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I don't think you'll get S5 under $700 with $3k cap reduction; S4 with 12k miles $3k down ~ $850...

Granted S5 may have slightly better residual than S4 but I seriously doubt it would make that much of a difference to equal a $300 reduction in lease payment. Plus S5 will surely be more expensive than the S4.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree, I'm thinking right along your lines also.

Given currently priced Audi's, I don't see how it could be anything less than $850mo and even higher as options are added and it approaches fully loaded.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:45 PM

yea....try 900s for an S5. 700s are a pipe dream
Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I came very close to getting a 335i before the S5 was announced. Here's how I see it...

A 335i with key options is $49k. Add $3k for M-sport (not available in US yet) and $2k for xi and you're sitting right at the S5's target base price.

I'll be struggling on picking between these two when I buy later this year/early next year, though it'll be easier when S5 pricing/options come. At $55k base I expect it very well equipped (wheels, bluetooth, heated seats, etc.) with my only options being B&O + convenience key. If I'm looking at a $10k premium on the S5, as much as I love it the BMW may be my pick.

The 135i further complicates things, as it'll have 335i (or better) performance at potentially $10k less.

The wildcard in all this is DSG. If Audi announces DSG as the auto for next spring, that could swing me even if it has a $10k premium.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 AM

Very close to my internal debating--I35 definite wildcard as well...
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 AM
RS7

Default 3.4L V6? and 3.0L TDI vs S5

I may have heard that there is going to be a 3.4L petrol V6 going to be added to the lineup some time, I think I heard that it will be added to the TT first, which means it will likely move to other models too.

This spoonie keeps complaining about the A5s petrol V6; if it was more powerful, why would anyone buy an S5. I think the fuel consumption is irrelevant, I would happily pay a bit more to have the S5, and a V8. It is pretty good though for a V8, fuel consumption would be a minor factor in my buying choice. But, if I was a person concerned by it I would get the 3.0L TDI, thats a powerful V6, not that much less than the S5 and 335i.

Maybe he hasn't heard of the diesel varient though.

I'm curious, what do people like better so far, the 3.0L TDI or S5???

I'd rather the S5, but thats just me and I'm sure the 3.0L TDI will be available with the S line package soon.

Its a thought to consider.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 AM

Default Pricing is high but not absolute or game would be over

I too find the interiors more interesting and modern in the Audi though bit nostalgic on BMW given one of my best cars was a 740i sport. An interesting difference, for me at least, was the finishing on the leathers in the Audi vs the BMW--like the Audi much better as grip was fine but not finished like the BMW with its "harsher" surface, slide a bit more in the BMW versus the great balance of plush and firm from Audi seating. Need to check the 334i again to see how much BMW has changed. How about that for nit picking!

Another major factor is the turbo driving feel--low end torque band, etc., that I really like in the A6 2.7t and the supercharged Jag. I know the V8 in the S5 is a fine engine but will need to test drive to see how it compares with the "immediate" response even at low RPM in the BMW.

The quattro difference is not great for me, given my current location and the fact that with snow tires and the approximate 50/50 balance on the BMW there are really no problems in the snow. My experience with the 740i and snow tires--in Rochester NY!--makes the quattro not a decisive factor (and am a long way south from Rochester).

Fact is driving experience in both cars will be impressive, "newness" of Audi not so powerful for me, hence the importance of price. However, as another said, if DSG was offered the equation would shift considerably.

I do a lot of long distance driving and want quiet attractive cabin, great sound, engine prowess for passing/ handling also for mountain roads (and fun), high speed cruising at low rpm (hence wide power band needed--think of the G37's need to be at higher rpm to get engine benefits as a downer for me for its noise, etc. I always look for 90 mph at 3,000 rpm or less) decent trunk space required, fold down seats for flexibilty (fly rods, etc.). Those kind of things are in the equation as well. I enjoy the quality engineering in the cabin as well, feel of controls, quality finishing materials, etc., hence it is hard to enjoy the corvette experience even with it tremendous engine and handling.

Different strokes I guess.

Quick Reply: Crunch time--any considering 335i take a look at edmunds insideline test