Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bye guys, I'll be leaving soon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as to how the GS's AWD can perform. My family has a very steep driveway, that when covered with snow a new RX and IS can not make it up. However my past A6 and current A5 have no issue.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

just saw a GS350 F sport.....wow....beautiful car!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 05A632
Curious as to how the GS's AWD can perform. My family has a very steep driveway, that when covered with snow a new RX and IS can not make it up. However my past A6 and current A5 have no issue.
I'm getting RWD and not AWD, so I really can't answer the question. Fortunately, we get very little snow and ice in Dallas. However, during last year's freak snowstorm my S5 made it up the driveway and into the garage with no problem. The G37 Vert took 6 tries, and only after we cleared off the driveway. I'll just have to stay away from the Snowbelt!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beakerz
I do like the styling of the new GS350, but the rear end reminds me of a Kia Optima. The similarity is undeniable.

What kind of a pothead are you? I mean seriously, where have you been for years? Japanese are known for copying styles??? That's the first in my lifetime. If you haven't noticed it till now, please do me and everybody else a small favor of reading news for once. Korean car markers have been copying a lot of German/Jap manufactures for years. They recently got enough cash to actually hire decent designers for their own companies and since those designers are from big companies like BMW, Audi and Lexus, I'm sure the styling similarities will go on, except more legit this time.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
What kind of a pothead are you? I mean seriously, where have you been for years? Japanese are known for copying styles??? That's the first in my lifetime. If you haven't noticed it till now, please do me and everybody else a small favor of reading news for once. Korean car markers have been copying a lot of German/Jap manufactures for years. They recently got enough cash to actually hire decent designers for their own companies and since those designers are from big companies like BMW, Audi and Lexus, I'm sure the styling similarities will go on, except more legit this time.

hahahhaha nice post!

I love it!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Pothead? LOL....how old are you,anyway?

And for the record, it's a fact that the Japs have been ripping off styling for many years now. Are the Koreans doing it too? Sure. Unless you're completely blind, it should be easy to see that this new Lexus looks alarmingly similar to the Kia from the rear. Hell, even Car and Driver mentioned that in a recent road test review of the Lexus. They said something like "what's up with the Kia rear end?" LOL
Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Who cares if a great looking car is copied in part by Kia or some other cheapo brand? I hated when they ripped off MB's 4 headlight look many years ago. While theu back may look similar the rest of it looks like a typical crappy Kia.

I just don't know what the Lexus brand stands for. I get it with Audi and that's why I'm looking hard at my first Audi. To me German cars are it and I look at the Japanese brands as still struggling to be competitors to the Germans. Lexus started off as a cheaper way to get some of Mercedes and BMW quality and refinement. Now it is what? Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, are all in this same boat.

This new Lexus is one of the better looking designs from them lately but it still seems a little too contrived. When the new found focus and money that Toyota will spend on design and performance in it's brands has time to take shape, then you will really know what their niche will be. It takes many years for this DNA to build and the cars that come until then will just be tweaks and bolt ons to existing chassis. They won't be bad looking or horrible to drive, they just won't be built from the ground up good.

I like the edginess of Audi and their drive to get bigger and compete with the other German stalwarts. To me BMW and Mercedes are playing it safe and will see Audi continue to gain on them.

I hope you don't miss the Audi too much!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by everettpa1
Who cares if a great looking car is copied in part by Kia or some other cheapo brand? I hated when they ripped off MB's 4 headlight look many years ago. While theu back may look similar the rest of it looks like a typical crappy Kia.

I just don't know what the Lexus brand stands for. I get it with Audi and that's why I'm looking hard at my first Audi. To me German cars are it and I look at the Japanese brands as still struggling to be competitors to the Germans. Lexus started off as a cheaper way to get some of Mercedes and BMW quality and refinement. Now it is what? Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, are all in this same boat.

This new Lexus is one of the better looking designs from them lately but it still seems a little too contrived. When the new found focus and money that Toyota will spend on design and performance in it's brands has time to take shape, then you will really know what their niche will be. It takes many years for this DNA to build and the cars that come until then will just be tweaks and bolt ons to existing chassis. They won't be bad looking or horrible to drive, they just won't be built from the ground up good.

I like the edginess of Audi and their drive to get bigger and compete with the other German stalwarts. To me BMW and Mercedes are playing it safe and will see Audi continue to gain on them.

I hope you don't miss the Audi too much!
No doubt, I will miss my S5 Cab. It is a fantastic car, no question, but as I said in my original post I need a more practical car.

Also, no doubt Audi is an emerging brand, but I don't personally care for the looks of the A6 and I'm not comforted by the lengthy threads about road noise and the poor Bose sound system (B&O $6k more) in the A7.

Lastly, re: Lexus' direction, here you go. Coming in second to a car that is $5-10k more and being called the more exciting drive of the two isn't too shabby. I agree that they've been playing catch up to the Germans for years, but most of the experts have acknowledged they have now surpassed BMW's 5 Series. I don't think I'll miss my Audi TOO much. ;-)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...modern-warfare

Last edited by dseag2; 03-29-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drive an A5 and every time I get in my wifes new GS350 I wish Lexus made a nice sporty coupe I could trade my A5 for. As I said earlier she traded a 2006 A6 for this Lexus and it was chosen after driving the 2012 A6 and 5 series. Just for the fun of it, I challenge every one here to go drive one and come back and tell us what you think.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stratdan
I drive an A5 and every time I get in my wifes new GS350 I wish Lexus made a nice sporty coupe I could trade my A5 for. As I said earlier she traded a 2006 A6 for this Lexus and it was chosen after driving the 2012 A6 and 5 series. Just for the fun of it, I challenge every one here to go drive one and come back and tell us what you think.
Unless they start making them with a manual transmission, I'm not interested in driving one. Because I can already tell you that I'd be completely bored with an automatic of any kind.