Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bluetooth audio quality sub-par: anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth audio quality sub-par: anyone else?

When we are using the bluetooth phone connection in our '09 A5, the audio quality is not very good--to the person on the other end it sounds like the Audi caller is at the bottom of a barrel--the sound is echo-y and distant. This happens regardless of whether we are using my old Motorola Razr or my wife's newer HTC Android phone.

Both phones sound completely normal on the bluetooth system on our '05 A6, so I really think it's the A5.

I'm planning on taking it by the dealer tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My wife agrees

She sounds great, but my wife agrees that I sort of sounded like I was at the bottom of a barrel.

I've also had a problem where when I dial out, the phone rings, someone answers and then my phone hangs up and the screen displays a message like "this function not supported." Only happens in the car, so it's an Audi issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by topdowns5
She sounds great, but my wife agrees that I sort of sounded like I was at the bottom of a barrel.

I've also had a problem where when I dial out, the phone rings, someone answers and then my phone hangs up and the screen displays a message like "this function not supported." Only happens in the car, so it's an Audi issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
no prob on bluetooth audio quality.

but when i answer my iphone via bluetooth in the A5, the call is immediately disconnected. this only happens when receiving calls and only on the first incoming call--

anyone else with iphone noticing this?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caf
When we are using the bluetooth phone connection in our '09 A5, the audio quality is not very good--to the person on the other end it sounds like the Audi caller is at the bottom of a barrel--the sound is echo-y and distant. This happens regardless of whether we are using my old Motorola Razr or my wife's newer HTC Android phone.
No problem here with iPhones (one 3G, one 3GS) in either Audi (Q7 or A5). Actually sounds very clear
Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sound quality is generally good; In a bad cell-service area, sometimes the sound heard in the A5 sounds like a low-quality mp3. I haven't had complaints on how I sound, only about my AT&T service disconnecting frequently (DC Area).

My iphone answers but sometimes immediately goes back to music. I have to mute, un-mute to be able to talk.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds great to me, just hate the way I have to re-pair every time the engine is turned off. Should be automatic, or stay paired.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milhaus
Sounds great to me, just hate the way I have to re-pair every time the engine is turned off. Should be automatic, or stay paired.
Actually, the shouldn't unpair every time you turn it off. make sure your phone (depending on the model) is set to Trusted for the connection. I have two iPhones in two separate Audis and the never need to be re-paired.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

i think it sounds good though, both ends. People I called didn't have problem.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've heard of this issue with Verizon network
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
Actually, the shouldn't unpair every time you turn it off. make sure your phone (depending on the model) is set to Trusted for the connection. I have two iPhones in two separate Audis and the never need to be re-paired.
Thanks, I'll give that a try, as you are correct, my BB wasnt set to "trusted".

Quick Reply: Bluetooth audio quality sub-par: anyone else?